6 speed conversion kit

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Losing 5th gear often affects the output shaft splines. If that's the case, this kit will have the same issue, only on two gears.

You would be best to take off the 5th gear end cover to diagnose properly before ordering this. Or... be prepared to replace the transmission as well as installing this kit.

chessmyantidrug

TDI
2006 Jetta
I can't inspect it until I'm home from vacation. If I have to replace the entire transmission, is there a 6-speed version I can install without having to replace a bunch of other parts? I just had the clutch and DMF replaced last month.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I think that the non-machined surfaces can not cause any problem ... From the attached image it is obvious that if everything is properly assembled, there should be a sufficient gap between the wheels and the cover...
well, you what you think and what is reality is not the same. inspection of the parts you machine should be standard procedure.

Filmshoot

TDI
1.9TDI AFN
I have this kit, if anyone recommends someone to install it in California let me know

Inscribed with just two thumbs...

EuroTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2,0TDI
6 speed gearbox for VW T4 Eurovan

Modification of 02G (MQ 300 Nm) to 6-speed gearbox. 02G is the gearbox the VW T4 FWD and Syncro models are equipped with - with the 2,5 TDI 75kW, 111 kW engines. The gearbox 02G will have to be sent to the Czech Republic to get upgraded (the shipping is done through TNT). After approx. 2-3 weeks, we return the 6-speed version.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi,

Interested in this kit....about the only thing that would keep me from doing it is I would like to have it installed by somebody that knows how to do it properly...nothing worse than spending a bunch of $$ then having somebody who does not know what they are doing mess things up!

Anyways, my car is a 2003 Jetta TDI with the 5 speed (wagon if that makes a difference)...It has about 226K miles and everything with the trans seems OK (in all fairness tho ever since the dealer did a trans fluid change and the weather has gotten colder....the trans seems a little "notchy" until it warms up a bit....I attribute that to maybe a very close tolerance trans and when the weather gets cold tolerances shrink and things get "tighter" so maybe notchy when cold is not a bad thing....just a nice and tight trans?).

The car is pretty much all highway driven except the few miles it takes to get out of town and get back home....Average about 200 miles highway a day.

What is the current cost / availability (time frame) of the kit and who can be trusted to install the kit? (I live in Zion Crossroads VA.....closest "known" city is Charlottesville.

Thanks in advance for any and all help on this,

Andrew

EuroTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2,0TDI
Hi,
Interested in this kit....about the only thing that would keep me from doing it is I would like to have it installed by somebody that knows how to do it properly...nothing worse than spending a bunch of $$ then having somebody who does not know what they are doing mess things up!
Anyways, my car is a 2003 Jetta TDI with the 5 speed (wagon if that makes a difference)...It has about 226K miles and everything with the trans seems OK (in all fairness tho ever since the dealer did a trans fluid change and the weather has gotten colder....the trans seems a little "notchy" until it warms up a bit....I attribute that to maybe a very close tolerance trans and when the weather gets cold tolerances shrink and things get "tighter" so maybe notchy when cold is not a bad thing....just a nice and tight trans?).
The car is pretty much all highway driven except the few miles it takes to get out of town and get back home....Average about 200 miles highway a day.
What is the current cost / availability (time frame) of the kit and who can be trusted to install the kit? (I live in Zion Crossroads VA.....closest "known" city is Charlottesville.
Thanks in advance for any and all help on this,
Andrew
Kits are mostly in stock, for TDI you should use:

You drive a lot, the sooner you get it, the faster the investment will return.

Whom to give it to to get it installed I do not know. However, here are detailed instructions any workshop mechanic who is meticulous can follow and install it without issues. http://www.eurotuning.cz/images/image/en/optimizing/pdf/ET_6gear_installation_instructions.pdf

Or video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8ukt23DJLc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN7nVOtdDzY

The behavior of your gearbox may be caused by oil. We have plenty of experience with customers who in good faith used "better oil", but that same oil worsened shifting and made synchros work poorly. Especially when the oil is cold.

The price is 1300 USD, shipping only 65 USD right now.

Last edited:

trowelbyfar

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI manual
I am wondering if the chart for the alh shouldn't be based on a differential ratio of 3.39?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I am wondering if the chart for the alh shouldn't be based on a differential ratio of 3.39?

I run this conversion on my 96 Passat with the 3.157 final drive ration and have no issues with the 3.157 final drive ration. In fact I even run larger than stock tires. Still no issues.

So you should not worry about the 3.39 final drive in your car.

FTW, I have been running the Eurotune 6 speed for 4 to 5 years.

trowelbyfar

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI manual
If I remember right, you were one of the first to buy this kit? Looks like a very neat mod.

I'm currently running bigger than stock tires (205/60/16) with a 3.39 differential ratio, so the chart shows about 4% taller gearing than actual (for my setup). That was my approximate calculation anyway.

I thought maybe Eurotuning would want to post a chart with the 3.39 ratio instead...

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
It's not the worth the money. 5 speeds is enough for me. One more is just 1 more set of gears to break. I'll save the money for future repairs. But hey if you like wasting money on a useless mod that will never pay for itself go right ahead :D:D:D Just like the guys adding a taller 5th, you will never see payback. If you want a quieter ride, get a luxury car. FFS.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Actually, with respect to fuel economy and pay back, you're incorrect - the taller 6th does pay back in reduced fuel consumption, just don't expect it to be quick. The better payback is reduced revs and reduction in cabin noise. The reduced fuel usage is just a bonus.

In my case, the before / after fuel consumption drop was roughly 1L / 100km (6L/100 before, 5L/100 after) which translates to $1000cdn saved per 100,000km or 60,000 miles.

Given this group's propensity to rack up miles/km, I'd say you're just trolling, as the numbers do make sense.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
It's not the worth the money. 5 speeds is enough for me. One more is just 1 more set of gears to break. I'll save the money for future repairs. But hey if you like wasting money on a useless mod that will never pay for itself go right ahead :D:D:D Just like the guys adding a taller 5th, you will never see payback. If you want a quieter ride, get a luxury car. FFS.
My opinion is the polar opposite of yours. I consider the .681 (and the RC tune) the best mod(s) done to my BRM as it quieted the car done significantly at speed. The mods have more than paid for themselves. I look forward to getting my Eurotunes 6 speed conversion installed in the B4V.

+1 on the trolling.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
If you want a quiet ride, get an electric car! Or take a ride on an electric high speed train in Europe. 175+mph is smooth and quiet.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH, 6 speed, 4motion, fully loaded, leather heated interior, sunroof, steering wheel controls. Over 420,000km
Where is the "buy it now" button lol, how do I actually purchase one of these?

It's not the worth the money.
5 speeds is enough for me. One more is just 1 more set of gears to break. I'll save the money for future repairs. But hey if you like wasting money on a useless mod that will never pay for itself go right ahead :D:D:D Just like the guys adding a taller 5th, you will never see payback. If you want a quieter ride, get a luxury car. FFS.
After doing quite a bit of mods to the TDI, fuel mileage has obviously decreased (currently 181hp 325ft-lbs and more to come). So adding a 6th gear or even a taller 5th would help gain back some more fuel mileage.

I wouldn't personally add a taller 5th gear to my car because I am in Canada where it isn't flat, we have alot of mountains. So the 5th gear would be to tall to climb the mountains anymore, making me have to shift down to 4th then again increasing the rpms and reducing the fuel mileage. The 4th to 5th or vice versa gear shift would also not be as smooth due to the rpm difference over stock. Where as the 6th gear drops the rpms even more for those flats, downhill and small up hills giving me way batter fuel mileage than I currently have.

Last edited:

skyking1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 beetle 2002 beetle
I just emailed Matt to see what it would cost for him to install in my beetle. I could incorporate it in a visit to San Francisco, which is something my wife and I want to do. Talk about a win-win.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
How does the car drive, was it worth it. whats your short term opinion so far?
Well, the car drives like a dream! With CJAA power, there isn't any issue with the gearing being "too tall"
I think that the non-machined surfaces can not cause any problem ... From the attached image it is obvious that if everything is properly assembled, there should be a sufficient gap between the wheels and the cover...
Everything IS properly assembled ;)

greenie

TDI
2 ea. 96 passat tdi sedans Plus 96 Passat TDI wagon with 6th gear and they are all GREEN
Ok, I am back with bad news. My second kit lost the 6th gear. It appears that the gear wore down, the material wiped out the roller bearing in the trans. Is there anyone in the north east U.S. that installs / has experience with these kits. The trans was overhauled prior to installing both kits. The first kit the 6th gear teeth just broke off with out warning. Second kit 6the gear wore down in a couple thousand miles before I got severe vibration. Ramid wants me to send the trans to him. I can not see the point of sending him good transmissions just to install the kits.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Ok, I am back with bad news. My second kit lost the 6th gear. It appears that the gear wore down, the material wiped out the roller bearing in the trans. Is there anyone in the north east U.S. that installs / has experience with these kits. The trans was overhauled prior to installing both kits. The first kit the 6th gear teeth just broke off with out warning. Second kit 6the gear wore down in a couple thousand miles before I got severe vibration. Ramid wants me to send the trans to him. I can not see the point of sending him good transmissions just to install the kits.
My advice is to ship the transmission to Radim. Let him check it out properly to see what the problem is. He may have a quality issue from a supplier and this will let him resolve that issue with the supplier. The fact that you have problems with 2 different gears he supplied points to a supplier issue in my mind.

My 6 speed kit was the first one installed in the U.S. close to 5 years ago and has been trouble free.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Let him pay for the shipping of your transmission. He gets the benefit of real world data points.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If I were Radim, I would share the shipping. At this point, we don't know if it is a manufacturing QA/QC issue, or an install issue.

Like John above, Abacus' (Formerly mine) B4V has 4+ years and 200k km (120k miles) without issue.