6,000 miles on this STAGE TWO cam I got from Kerma

finzjeep

TDI
Mk5
6000 miles ago and install the new Cam from Kermit stage 2 that didn't have any fresh cams and stocks so they sold me a reground one. 1500 miles ago I started to have a power loss I've been replacing sensors I'm not getting an engine code code boat not losing coolant or oil. So today I pulled the valve cover and took some pictures of my Cam I have noticed premature aware. look at the pics and tell me what you think.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
New lifters and rollers when it was installed?
Regrinds are always best.
I suspect an oil filter issue or something foreign in the oil system

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
Might want to drop pan and see if oil pickup is pluged with rtv. Oil sample may show more wear on other components .
Sure don't look good from here. Good luck.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I have a very similar one. Colt had problems with their regrinds. I've seen several that are worn out with low miles on them

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Did they skip hardening after a regrind?
The one on my car was incorrectly ground too fast which caused it to crack. Actually that batch of cams is one of the reasons franko6 started making cams...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The one on my car was incorrectly ground too fast which caused it to crack. Actually that batch of cams is one of the reasons franko6 started making cams...
Wasn't that a long time ago? Do you think any of those cams are still around?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, what I see is steaks and some, what appears to be scuffing. I don't think what I'm seeing would cause the loss of performance.
Also, from what I see, I question the cleanliness involved when the Cam was installed. It is quite obvious some "junk" ended up in the oiling system. I'm wondering what main and rod bearings look like.

I agree that the oil pan should be removed to inspect the oil pick-up tube.

finzjeep

TDI
Mk5
alot of that junk fell in when I pulled the cover. I run this engine in a jeep. I have ran codes and I am not receiving codes.