505 oil short term, and warning for Mexico owners

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
Yesterday my local VW dealer did the first service on my car and put in 505 rated Castrol 5w-40.

I found out after they did the service when they showed me a bottle of what they used in the parts dept.

I made a point of calling them in advance, to make they stocked the correct oil and filters for the ea288 which they confirmed, but I should have asked to see the oil first, my mistake

So from what I understand, the 505 oil could potentially be bad long term for the DPF, and may have a low tolerance for oil dilution from the additional squirt of diesel to help heat up the cat.

But, is there any short term ( one week ) risk of having 505 in my motor?

I will be getting it changed again asap, but not sure of 507 availability here.

Warning to all Mexico tdi owners, your VW dealer might put 505 in ( it even has a fancy VW logo sticker saying "for TDI's" )

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
One week? No. The amount of contamination possible from a week's usage of non-low-ash oil is negligible.

I wouldn't worry about it other than to try to get a refund from the dealer.

It's not like the PD engines where you have the potential for wear on the cam.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
One week? No. The amount of contamination possible from a week's usage of non-low-ash oil is negligible.

I wouldn't worry about it other than to try to get a refund from the dealer.

It's not like the PD engines where you have the potential for wear on the cam.
Great, that's what is I suspected...
Thanks

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
I don't think you will be able to get the correct oil down there. I think you better bring that car and sell it to me. :)

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think you will be able to get the correct oil down there. I think you better bring that car and sell it to me. :)
sorry, stuck with this one :) , but the dealership had two new old stock 2016 S models, black and grey

The black one had very nice looking tan cloth seats.

You may be right about the oil, this could get interesting

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Yeah, the 505 should be fine for the engine, but is not ideal for your DPF.

Why wouldn't they stock a 507 oil? Do they not fit the Mexican market CR TDIs with DPFs? I honestly don't know.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, the 505 should be fine for the engine, but is not ideal for your DPF.

Why wouldn't they stock a 507 oil? Do they not fit the Mexican market CR TDIs with DPFs? I honestly don't know.
Yes, they do have DPF's on other TDI's which is why it's a mystery that they didn't put in 507. I'm going to push them as much as I can to get it. Will report what happens

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
So I'm at the dealership right now. I showed up with 6 quarts of the correct 507 oil which my sister bought in the US and brought down during a visit.

I explained to them that this is the correct oil and after a lengthy back and forth, the service manager called VW and confirmed that 507 is the correct oil but that they don't currently have this oil in Mexico because these are the first TDI's in Mexico with DPF's.
He said that they will contact Castrol to have 507 imported, but that it may take 3-4 weeks to get.

1) I don't think these are the first TDI's to have DPF's in Mexico...
2) In Mexico 3-4 weeks can be 3-4 months, and I don't want to wait that long

Anyway, they agreed to change the oil and filter free of charge and I will be good for a year.

So, for the few TDI owners on this list, make sure they have 507 in stock before committing to an oil change.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
mxtdiguy, I think you are in Guadalajara? Refaccionaria alemana stocks motul 5w30 8100 xclean+ which meets the 507 standard
Thanks
The last time I got an oil change the dealer said that they now carry 507 oil. I think I was one of the first buyers of these MX tdi mk7's and I racked up a lot of miles quickly so I may have been one of the first to get an oil change.