$500 to get to 150HP from an ALH?

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
Is this possible? I don't mind shopping junk yards for parts and DIY-ing the work. I have a stock engine with a 5 speed with an upgraded clutch.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If you use a lot of used parts, sure. Can be achieved with a vnt17 and larger nozzles, plus tune. That is, if you do the tuning yourself or find someone to do it free/cheap.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If you are pinching pennies, leave it stock. It will cost you less. These cars are very good just as they left the factory. Let your budget keep it in good working order as it already is first.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Since you already have the clutch, Start with tune $350, then injectors $500, then turbo $850, then downpipe $350. But first do all your suspension bushings so it’s safe. I would agree if $500 is your budget, that is better spent on maintenance than power

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Yes if you want more power like I did it was PP520's VNT17/22 T RC4.5 (26psi boost) FMIC, Upgraded clutch to hand the 300 ft-lb of torque, larger down pipe, Wavetrac LSD Just shy of 150 hp. Closer to $3,000 but it was a fun car. RC 4.5 had launch control built in and it was so much fun until it through a rod at 315,000 miles.

I did a complete suspension refresh too

Last edited:

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
If you are pinching pennies, leave it stock. It will cost you less. These cars are very good just as they left the factory. Let your budget keep it in good working order as it already is first.
I will likely do just that. I was hoping to be able to tow a little bit with the car but it sounds like 60 additional HP comes at a pretty high cost. I'll bet they could have engineered it into the car at about the same cost as it is now... but I also understand they were fighting emissions and of course reliability was a concern. I'll likely just keep it to really light loads when I do tow and hopefully the 90hp will do it.

I do have a VCDS adapter from amazon. Maybe there's something that can be done there? I saw quantity adjustments. But that can be done with the top of the IP also so probably no need to mess with it digitally.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
1) injectors
2) evry mod
3) nitrous

done
Whilst possible, I think I'd prefer not to saddle a VNT15 with a 150 hp load.

I am much in agreement with the make sure the suspension it done properly; Cupra R rear bushings, and at minimum TT's up front with a large portion of that $500 budget applied to the dampers( shocks and struts ). The turbo on mine will get a wee upgrade when it is ready to be replaced I think...and the expense of the PD injector re-noozling is precluding me from doing that willy-nilly... :D
cheers,
Douglas

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
he just said 1) 150 hp and 2) $500
not "the best way for a daily driver" or "and maintain best fuel economy" or any other conditions like "and not blow up my car"
just $500 and 150 hp.

Gary Miyakawa did that back in 2002, nearly 20 years ago. Upsolute chip, but same difference, may as well use evry mod.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Interesting old thread from the early pioneers of ALH power

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just as a suggestion, don't do the evry mod, unless you want to break things.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
chinese ".30" nozzles
chinese mpps cable to fix the maps
chinese t25 manifold
junkyard saab td04hl-15t-5cm

prolly $250-300
throw in a bare timing belt (maybe a water pump too) and you're golden

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
Just as a suggestion, don't do the evry mod, unless you want to break things.
You're probably right. I'd think without an EGT gauge, the smoke level's I've seen in videos, may not be such a safe bet. Maybe with the lower end of the mod (maybe 1k resistor).

Last edited:

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
he just said 1) 150 hp and 2) $500
not "the best way for a daily driver" or "and maintain best fuel economy" or any other conditions like "and not blow up my car"
just $500 and 150 hp.

Gary Miyakawa did that back in 2002, nearly 20 years ago. Upsolute chip, but same difference, may as well use evry mod.
In that thread, I think I also read he used the stock 10mm pump and someone asked him about using an 11mm and he said, not necessary.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One of these days, if I remember, I will track the difference between fuel temps on our cars. That makes me wonder if an 11mm pump would raise temps any by returning more fuel to the tank

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
$500 budget is pretty tight for conventional power adders BUT I wonder if somehow buying a nitrous system (used can be fairly cheap) and plumbing in some pressurized / atomized diesel into the air intake stream just in front of the intake would do the trick ? (separate diesel tank under pressure to make a mix of vaporized diesel and nitrous flowing into the air intake manifold like in gasoline applications except in diesel)?.

With the above ..... no need for bigger turbos, injectors, intercoolers etc.... and capable of ADDING in excess of 150 HP so be careful ! :cool:

Andrew

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
More fuel with less air will smoke like a dirty freight train, plus egts will look like someone faking an IQ test and put too many numbers down.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I've got it. Attach the nitrous tank to your drivers side fender then run a hose to the intake with a electric valve running off the gas pedal. More air, more fuel, more nitrous! Win/win as you can see with my soon to be patented set up😁.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I've got it. Attach the nitrous tank to your drivers side fender then run a hose to the intake with a electric valve running off the gas pedal. More air, more fuel, more nitrous! Win/win as you can see with my soon to be patented set up😁.
you seem to be forgetting that diesels are throttled by going lean

meaning that you only jet your nitrous system down in order to avoid wasting expensive n2o, excess that doesn't find any fuel to burn just goes out the exhaust, same as excess oxygen does at any other time
no need to overcomplicate it

as an aside, inchville's idea is... typical of his ideas (need I say more?)

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
you seem to be forgetting that diesels are throttled by going lean

meaning that you only jet your nitrous system down in order to avoid wasting expensive n2o, excess that doesn't find any fuel to burn just goes out the exhaust, same as excess oxygen does at any other time
no need to overcomplicate it

as an aside, inchville's idea is... typical of his ideas (need I say more?)
But more fuel more power.... isn't that why you get bigger nozzles for more power? The more stuff you have going into that cylinder the higher compression you get too😁.

I'm unsure about "inchviles idea" (other then i know Andy posts a lot of different ideas on here).... it was funk777 who started the thread.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Ohh, now i see....should've read the entire thread i guess. Sorry Andy.

On another note a lil research has found me that it is possible and totally 100% safe for your engine. Here (start at 9:50) is a video of an alh beetle taking umm, x-shot of nitrous? Either way as you can see at 9:50- it seemingly does not kill the car. Plus its on the internet so it must be safe. Someone should inquire as to the actual hp increase the guy got, but either way it still was running lol.

Small print: yes im joking, no i dont recommend any of this.

tdi_my live

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia
Is this possible? I don't mind shopping junk yards for parts and DIY-ing the work. I have a stock engine with a 5 speed with an upgraded clutch.
The 150hp are even possible with series components from Alh. But then everything runs to the limit. A larger charge air cooling would be good.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
That goal is easy on an AHU/1Z with just nozzles and tune, open exhaust for 160 HP. The VNT turbo on the ALH is less tolerant and does not flow as much air for HP on the top end, though the low end torque gain is significant. You can convert back with A3/B4 Jetta/Passat junkyard parts to a wastegate turbo for cheap and not have to worry. Or you can do the 486 turbo upgrade mod. Tuning costs may vary though. I can sell you a set of Bosio PP520 nozzles with 190,000 miles on them for $50 and that gets you +20 HP on stock tune. Find the right used $10 Alligator/Upsolute tune and use the rest of the budget on a giant spoiler and stickers.

Or like Kerma said, just do used Nitrous and propane for wet shot enrichment.

We need to clarify your goal. Is it maximum horsepower for $500, or the cheapest way to hit 150 HP? Throw in some reliability?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Or like Kerma said, just do used Nitrous and propane for wet shot enrichment.
I've wondered sometimes about using the tubular manifold from an AEG 2.0 gasoline motor (they're a tri-Y style header that looks like it'd flow real good) to get rid of the horrific backpressure issues, as floating your exhaust valves is really easy

then lots of n2o for the breathing side
though without forced induction you're kind of limited in how much you can actually get into the cylinder...
It'd prolly do 150 hp at least.

BTW, the AEG manifold does require a bit of work with a cutoff wheel on the angle grinder in order to fit around the intake manifold.

SpeedKing

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I've beat 300hp muscle cars with a 70hp stock 1983 Scirocco. My stock 2002 TDI is much faster STOCK than the Scirocco. I live out in the country and I've dusted the Man's new Chargers. Steering with power only works for rear wheel drive. Keep it stock, put your $ in tires & suspension upgrades

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have seen videos of "ghetto fogging" a high power truck rolling coal on a dyno. A bottle of Nitrous fogs the front of the truck with somebody holding it. The coal disappears and the HP goes skyward.
Not very elegant, but you can use Nitrous on your truck w/o a $1000.00 controller.
This is a real thing, check the web.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
$500 budget is pretty tight for conventional power adders BUT I wonder if somehow buying a nitrous system (used can be fairly cheap) and plumbing in some pressurized / atomized diesel into the air intake stream just in front of the intake would do the trick ? (separate diesel tank under pressure to make a mix of vaporized diesel and nitrous flowing into the air intake manifold like in gasoline applications except in diesel)?.

With the above ..... no need for bigger turbos, injectors, intercoolers etc.... and capable of ADDING in excess of 150 HP so be careful ! :cool:

Andrew

You want finely atomized diesel and nitrous oxide fog under 18psi at around 200f in your intake tract? That's a rolling bomb with a short fuse.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
You want finely atomized diesel and nitrous oxide fog under 18psi at around 200f in your intake tract? That's a rolling bomb with a short fuse.
draw through turbocharger guys have something to say about that
oh and all the old-tech blower guys
and a lot of turbo/propane guys

ETA: don't get me wrong, it's an absolutely retarded idea, but for different reasons than any sort of danger of 'blowing the welds on the intake manifold'

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
chinese ".30" nozzles
chinese mpps cable to fix the maps
chinese t25 manifold
junkyard saab td04hl-15t-5cm

prolly $250-300
throw in a bare timing belt (maybe a water pump too) and you're golden
Please note that @[486] was jesting here. Please don't do this, unless you want to be "golden" (which I'd translate to "with a dead car and $250-$300 less money to your name").