50-55 MPG in a 09 JSW with tune/mods?

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
I was wondering if there are some mods out there that allow you to achieve 50+ MPG on the jetta sportwagen. My normal hwy speed will be around 65-75 mph. From what I've read normal fuel economy seems to be around 40-45 hwy with the right size tires and removing the roof rails.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I would say no. Even with a light foot, cruising, tires at a higher PSI, I've never achieved better than 47, steady-state cruising 70mph...using a cetane boost, as well.
From what I've read here, the JSW has never won any MPG awards.
If you find something useful, let the rest of us know.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I made 48 stock.

I took the scenic route in upper Michigan, 40s in 6th. Basically idling in high gear with no wind resistance.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...ooops...(it's a TX thing!!!) Forgot to state, this is with a REVO ECU tune, no DSG tune. REVO tune is very strong, but you gotta dance around the upshifts at full throttle, as it bumps the throttle limiter. REVO tune NOT recommended unless you get a DSG tune, which REVO doesn't do for the TDI DSG setup.

Post #3 above is with DPF delete.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
How do you like your Sportwagen? I'm looking to get one soon with 100-200k, I need something 05 and up w/ 4 doors and auto trans, didn't want to go MKIV again due to not having DSG so I'm thinking the JSW will be a nice ride and I can use the extra capacity. Probably would have gone with a mkv golf tdi if they made them. Hearing great things about the DSG! :)

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I made 48 stock.

I took the scenic route in upper Michigan, 40s in 6th. Basically idling in high gear with no wind resistance.

I'm not sure about scenic routes, but in a recent 450 mile drive from LA to Sacramento I calc'd 53.3 MPG. 1550 RPM, wind negligible. Just me. Cruise.
Temp: 70's.

ez

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Anyone on here that went for a CR170 Turbo and DSG/ECU stage3 tune/exhaust/dp with increased mpg?

Last edited:

evoblade

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Its gonna be tough to get that (50+) with a Sportwagen/DSG. Youre gonna need to do a DPF delete and tune. It seems sedans get better mileage and manual transmissions rev about 200 less RPMs at highway speeds (2010+ manuals a bit more difference, because they changed 6th gear to be a higher ratio). That said, I just bought a 2011 JSW TDI w/DSG and moonroof and we both love it. It just gets less MPG than my 2009 6sp sedan. From my experience and talking to others it seems the wagon gets about 38 mpg unless you are really making a conscious effort to save fuel.

EDIT: clarified gear ratio change on 2010 manual transmission

Last edited:

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
That's good to know. I suppose changing the transmission just to get better mpg is a bit of a expense! :eek:
Has anyone gone in a 2009 transmission and tried to change out the 6th gear with the one on the mkvi 2010+ model? I heard some states you're not allowed to remove the DPF. Does it actually pollute more w/o it?

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I heard some states you're not allowed to remove the DPF. Does it actually pollute more w/o it?
sky---can't really tell if this is a serious question or not, sorry if i missed the sarcasm. modification of the your exhaust system is a violation of federal law, whether or not your state or local authorities have similar laws and testing I can not comment on. also remember that state/local laws and testing can change at anytime. I can assure you that VW/other makes would not have gone to the trouble of designing a system if it was not needed to pass regulations. so yes it does reduce emissions, on the other hand, I have not seen any study comparing the well to wheels emissions of producing a DPF (or multiple) vs running USLD without the emissions equipment.

the best advice I can give you is to purchase a 2010/+ vehicle (there was a design change sometime in early '10) where the emissions equipment has be decoupled and you do not need to replace the "whole" thing with the newer style like you would have to do with an '09.

tl;dr---yes your vehicle will pollute more and is at the very least illegal on the federal level. go with a '10/+ vehicle to stay legal with the least expense when parts wear out/fail.

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)
Depending on what year your JSW, check out Green Diesel Engineering (GDE) tunes. There may not be a GDE tune for your car though . . . They seem to get the biggest jump for PD engines, sometimes in 10-20% range. Do some searches here for reviews also.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=359880

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Taller skinnier tires, 70-75 series.....

Going with taller skinnier tires, 70-75 series will reduce rolling friction. Only problem is today we use these really tall wheels with wider tires on everything today. Which makes doing this not near as easy as it used to be.........

Going to these taller skinnier tires will make all of the gears taller so you must learn to have a lighter foot on take off to prevent extra engine strain which will use more fuel and increase the engine's heat load. If this is done correctly you will see at a minimum 3-5 mpg increase on city and highway loops.....

You have to figure out a happy mid point on power use and fuel savings....

evoblade

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Another thing to consider with the DPF delete is you might plug up the H2S and NOX cats, as well as clog the exhaust valve and EGR system. DPF delete is usually a last resort when you want to keep your high-mile car with DPF plugged up on the road without dumping several thousand dollars into the exhaust system.

evoblade

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
That's good to know. I suppose changing the transmission just to get better mpg is a bit of a expense! :eek:
Has anyone gone in a 2009 transmission and tried to change out the 6th gear with the one on the mkvi 2010+ model? I heard some states you're not allowed to remove the DPF. Does it actually pollute more w/o it?
I don't think they changed ratios on the DSG. In any case changing the gear is going to cost and order of magnitude more than any savings over time from picking up 1-2 mpg. Remember at 40+ MPG changes of a few MPG change your fuel bill by a very small amount. Going from 16 MPG to 20 MPG is gonna be a big change (drive an extra 50 miles on a tank, approx.), 25 % improvement. But going from 40 to 44 is only a 10% change.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
DPF delete will cost you upwards of $2k just for parts and tune. Labor is more if you don't DIY and can find a mechanic willing to do it. It will take a long time for an economy increase to repay all this expense. Removing this stuff just for an economy gain is counterproductive to saving. You will probably crash or sell the car long before it is paid back from economy savings. When a delete is done all emissions need to be removed, not just the DPF.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4793170-Any-09-people-have-want-a-dpf-delete

Interesting what this guys says in post #34

Quote, originally posted by hartracing390fe » To the guy in Florida, what thing do you have on your tdi that gets you 10mpg? I found a legitimate flash to turn off the dpf for $600.

Response, It's not just turning off the dpf- its removing it. It's a restriction in the system. The guys with the TDI170s in europe with software and dpf removal are seeing 10-15mpg gains because of the restriction of the dpf. It's job is to clog and the ecu reads the clogged dpf, goes into regen and burns off the soot.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
And another good comment... from this thread.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads/dpf-delete-on-vw-tdi-engine-or-audi-tdi.4914/page-4

"the common rail cjaa motor family is very clean with or without dpf. DPF's are bad for fuel efficiency, egt's, and turbos. A properly deleted cjaa/cbea produces very little soot compared to older diesels."

I'm still trying to decide what is more important for the environment. 40 MPG and no ability to run b20 or 50+ Mpg w/ the dpf delete. The more fuel burned = more exhaust/pollution into the environment. The DPF threads are rather fascinating. I think the dpf delete sounds like a good idea, but I'm kinda neutral at the moment especially when you factor in the cost to do it, although they say if you drive 90k miles it pays for itself.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Just wait for the 2015 Golf wagon it has the add blue system.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
At those speeds and your previous mileage, you won't see 50 mpg. B20 is approved for use in 2 states. You could probably use it as well as long as you check your oil and insure it isn't rising due to the B20. I use it in my 2013 Passat without issue. I don't understand the thinking to spend all that money to save a couple dollars in fuel cost each time. If you just slowed down some you would save as much I bet and no huge initial spend to do it.

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
At those speeds and your previous mileage, you won't see 50 mpg. B20 is approved for use in 2 states. You could probably use it as well as long as you check your oil and insure it isn't rising due to the B20. I use it in my 2013 Passat without issue. I don't understand the thinking to spend all that money to save a couple dollars in fuel cost each time. If you just slowed down some you would save as much I bet and no huge initial spend to do it.
I agree with slowing down, ;) I'm fine doing 65-70. I think the investment is a good idea but the hassle with the emissions testing isn't really worth it. I like the idea of power and economy. Anything that gains MPG is a winner in my book. I've heard the factory dpf replacement cost around $2k and is needed around 120-150k. So if I approach that I may be tempted to experiment with the options... I don't even have a sportwagen yet, searching for a good deal on a 09. :)

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Some are over 200k IIRC with no issues. The 2009 would be the one to experiment with as that year had a more expensive "one piece" option to replace. Since then some pieces have been separated from each other and is cheaper to replace. It would take me 10 years at my current commute/driving mileage to get to that range. It would deserve a replacement if needed by then. May even be cheaper a decade from now. Have you read about Propel's HPR Diesel in California? Supposedly a very clean burning fuel with, by most accounts, a noticeable increase in power. Economy is still up in the air as it's brand new. Needs lubricity additive it seems though. I would like to see it come here. Very high cetane. Selling for less than diesel there too!

Texas_sky

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GOLF TDI 2dr 5spd
Some are over 200k IIRC with no issues. The 2009 would be the one to experiment with as that year had a more expensive "one piece" option to replace. Since then some pieces have been separated from each other and is cheaper to replace. It would take me 10 years at my current commute/driving mileage to get to that range. It would deserve a replacement if needed by then. May even be cheaper a decade from now. Have you read about Propel's HPR Diesel in California? Supposedly a very clean burning fuel with, by most accounts, a noticeable increase in power. Economy is still up in the air as it's brand new. Needs lubricity additive it seems though. I would like to see it come here. Very high cetane. Selling for less than diesel there too!
Yeah if demand increased for the dpf delete prices will drop. I fueled up in San Jose on my last trip to CA at a Chevron that had a propel pump, the diesel was rediculously cheap for cali standards at like $2.55 a gallon. I wasn't in a TDI so I had no real way to test the power. :eek: I'm sticking with the 09 regardless because I prefer the 5th gen over the 2010-14. The rabbit brochure got me hooked :D

All you really need is a downpipe/tune, http://www.rawtekinc.com/collection.../tdi-dpf-delete-downpipe-for-vw-2-0l-cr-gen-1 you shouldn't have to buy the whole exhaust kit, probably would be easier to just do a DIY style exhaust, go to a exhaust shop bring them your resonator and rear muffler and have them fab it up.
This company here has some good stainless piping. You have to buy 20ft bulk.
http://www.tubeservice.com/index.html

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I seriously doubt there will ever be a big demand for these. There will be some but not big. It would be cheaper to just gut everything and re-install it and tune. If you were really on a budget and had the inclination.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Do this and it would pass OBD II plug in test as well as a visual inspections

I seriously doubt there will ever be a big demand for these. There will be some but not big. It would be cheaper to just gut everything and re-install it and tune. If you were really on a budget and had the inclination.
.............+++PLUS++++,......

Do this and it would pass OBD II plug in test as well as a visual inspections if emissions are looked at.

I believe this is only real option if someone really wants to disable and reprogram so that the car could be driven in any state, the one's which test and the one's that don't.........

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I've got DieselDubs DPF delete with Malone Stage 2 tune. No special mods, tires at prescribed psi. I got a slight bump/increase in MPG after the delete/tune. Maybe 2-3 MPG's higher.

I recommend against inflating tires over the factory psi. I've ruined a set of tires by over-inflation and never saw any benefits.