5 speed vs auto tran

qball

Hello
I am thinking about buying a 2004 jetta tdi and i am thinking that i want a automatic not a 5 speed dose anyone here have an automatic?

Thanks

VDubVerruckt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL, Reflex Silver
Are you sure you want an automatic? The 5-speed is a lot more fun to drive than the auto. You'll also get better mileage with the 5-speed.

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
Q, I had a slushbox and traded it for a 5-speed (even with my bad knees).

Go for the manual..you will not regret it... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just my $.02 worth...

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Don't let the gear jammers get to you - if you want the automatic, get it.

I love mine - went with auto because I didn't want to deal with the clutch in all the traffic I sometimes see on my commute. I've been averaging in the low to mid 40s, with a mix of about 80-20 highway/city.

Obviously. the auto won't get mid 50s like the manual will, but if you're more comfortable with the auto, go for it.

Either way, it's still a great car.

Rob

tditone

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-dr, Reflex Silver
[ QUOTE ]
qball said:
Hello
I am thinking about buying a 2004 jetta tdi and i am thinking that i want a automatic not a 5 speed dose anyone here have an automatic?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi there,

My Golf TDI is a 5-speed, but I also drove a Jetta automatic for a few years (and still do from time to time). Are there any particular questions on your mind about the differences between the two?

Offhand, some pros and cons that I can think of are:

-- Automatic --
Pros:
- Simplicity of driving experience
- Always smooth shifting (except when the computer gets confused)
- Less attention needed when stopping/starting on steep hills
- Faster acceleration in some cases (this one is likely to be debated)
- Simpler in traffic jams (though not necessarily better)

Cons:
- More delicate mechanics (more likely to fail earlier in the life of the car)
- Less control of shifting/power
- Loss of power/efficiency through the transmission (thus less fuel mileage)
- More expensive (initial price)

-- Manual --
Pros:
- Better control/Better "connection" to the car
- Can be more fun to drive (this is entirely subjective of course)
- Better power/efficiency (thus better fuel mileage)
- Simpler, more durable mechanics (tends to last longer)
- Faster acceleration in many cases (better power/control of gears)

Cons:
- Requires more attentiveness to the technical aspects of your driving (shifting/clutching, etc...)
- Requires a lot of attentiveness when starting/stopping on steep hills
- More room for driver error
- Requires the use of both hands/both feet (not that you should be holding a cup of coffee while driving or anything, but it can be awkward at times if you need to futz with something in the car and shift at the same time)
- Along those same lines, if you're injured, it's harder to drive a stick - I found this out when I broke my left elbow earlier this year and couldn't really drive for a while).
- More awkward in traffic jams (though not necessarily worse: if you learn to regulate your speed, and use your gears wisely, it can actually be nicer driving a stick in a traffic jam - pay attention to how truckers do it to get an idea of what I mean)
- More tiring on long trips (not usually a big deal)

I'm sure there are plenty of other pros and cons of both. Overall though, as someone said earlier, get what makes you happy. I drive a manual everyday, but I see the benefits of both, so I'm not one of those folks who make fun of automatics. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Either way, you'll have a great car!!

-Tone

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
Q, I agree with Rob...if you want the auto, get it...I also have congestion in my daily commute (120-150 miles RT on I95 to/from DC) and still went with the manual when I traded...

Driving a manual TDI in traffic is no where near like driving say a Camaro or other gasser...the low end torque is more than sufficient to get the car going on level a roadway without having to use the accelerator...I have gotten all the way into 4th gear without using the accelerator.

But the final decision is yours and yours alone...go with what you will be comfortable with in the long run...

TDINewB

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
It must be nice to have a choice /images/graemlins/wink.gif. I had to get an auto....the wife wont drive a stick.......I mean a manual transmission /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

jasonlava

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle GLS TDI, 2003, White
[ QUOTE ]
qball said:
Hello

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

No contest. 5spd is the way to go! My previous Chevy S-10 had an auto and I was so bored with it. A standard is fun to drive and you get better mileage.

will360655

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Passat
Everyone is going to have thier opinion, so get what you want. If you feel more comforable with an auto like I do, then get it. If you want a five speed, then get that. Eventhough the 5 speed gets better milage, don't forget that the auto still gets twice milage that a gas would get. Either way you will have a good car. The only problems that I know of are if you increase power, you might have to change your clutch. The power dosen't really effect the auto at all, if anything it makes them smoother. Just remember, the auto tranny adapts itself to your driving style, so if you test drive it and it feels funny, it will change. I'm not pushing either car, so buy what you want to buy.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Just my $0.02
I have 2 of each....next one I call "mine....all mine" will be an auto.

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
Stock, from the lot, the auto is slower then the stick. I drove both and saw it first hand. Keep in mind, those automatics do learn how you drive and adapt accordingly. A broken in auto is faster then manual, in that you never loose your boost. Now if someone is really quick and hard on their manual, I'm sure they can manage to maintain the boost too but I can't and won't even try.

I have heard of some people being annoyed with when and how the torque locks ups. I have never personally spoke to anyone that wished that they bought the manual. For the most part you either love manuals or you buy an auto.

In my manual I averaged 42-44. After having my cam timing adjusted, I seem to be pushing 48 while driving 80-90. If it is true that people are getting low 40's with the auto, I'll buy one.

qball

5 speed vs auto tran

Hi all went to three dealers today but they had no automatics because the 2004 are not in till the end of the month but the salesman said if i could hold off till the 2005 come they are gonna be a bit biger he said.

there is nothing wrong with the car i have 80000 miles on my 2001 focus zx3 runs pefect i have had no problems with it but i wanna try a jetta TDI

Q