$5 Noise fix for trunk resonance noise.

2004PlatinumTDiSport

TDI
Sold 2004 Jetta TDI Sport, hello 2012 VW Passat TDI Comfortline Sport DSG!
Same here. Did this mod last weekend and I noticed a difference immediately. I still have a deck vibration though, but I think it'll be going to the dealer for that.

n1acguy

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Passat TDI DSG SE/Sunroof
Our 13 SE came with Continentals. Very noisy right off the bat.
Hankooks are noisier? That must be real bad.
I'm going to look for this gap when the wife gets home.
Sounds like a noise I've been looking for might be the baby seat cover.

2004PlatinumTDiSport

TDI
Sold 2004 Jetta TDI Sport, hello 2012 VW Passat TDI Comfortline Sport DSG!

The gap on my car was very easy to see. Flip down the rear seats, remove the headrests and put the seats up. Then kneel on the back seat and put your head along the top of the seats. The gap I had was huge, I would guess 3/4 to 1 inch in places.

I ran one strip of weatherstrip across the entire seat back and then another piece on top of it only across the middle section of the rear seat.

I noticed a difference immediately.

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
Has anyone identified weather stripping that will match my corn silk leather interior?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I found a light tan at Home Depot. Not a perfect match, but you don't see it unless the seats are in the down position, which we don't do very often.

jafische

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 (A3) TDI SEL Premium (Reflex Silver / Moonrock)
I ran one strip of weatherstrip across the entire seat back and then another piece on top of it only across the middle section of the rear seat.

I noticed a difference immediately.
So the weatherstripping has a tape back, right? Are you taping to the seat back? From what I recall of mine, that is some sort of fabric material. Any sticking problem? I guess I am somewhat confused by reading... haha... a picture is sometimes what I need.

I have Conti's on mine, so the road noise is not too too bad. I will do this mod just because every little bit helps.

Thanks all.

jafische

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 (A3) TDI SEL Premium (Reflex Silver / Moonrock)
Haaa. Driver Found's pictures just loaded up. haha. I see pictures now. They were missing earlier. Thanks.

jpbran

TDI
2013 Passat SE/Nav/Roof
Just tackled this simple experiment... Will be driving all over town for work tomorrow a.m.; curious to see if any difference! (didn't think it was very noisy before; had them hunt down a non-Hankooked car for me though)

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We test-drove a Passat TDI SEL day before yesterday. Had the Continental tires, no noticeable road noise during the drive, on various pavement. Of course, some types of textured concrete pavement will make significant noise, no matter which car we're driving or the type of tire.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I did this on my car as well. While I think it made a bit of a difference, it really was pretty subtle.

I have a vibration/buzzing noise coming from my c pillar area that is far worse than any excess road noise coming from the trunk. I wish that I could find this and eliminate it, I've spent a fair amount of time searching, the dealer has looked, and I still have my buzz.

EricEE

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL 55K+ miles
Useful and easy mod. I didn't think I would notice the difference since I am always cranking the stereo but I did.

SirSipsAbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDi
thanks!

I'm well under way of a complete sound suppression project on my 2012 Jetta TDi and stumbled across this thread. My Jetta has the gap also. Fixed it with the same foam strip I used to muffle the back edge of the rear deck panel.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
I am still surprised something that glaring made it past final approval on the assembly line.
My $5 fix should not have been necessary IMO. Since I've been owning VW/Audi cars for years with fold down seats that had no gap, discovering it was like ***?

My 'guess' is that the rear seat backs were supposed to sit at a more acute angle, but the stops were welded in the wrong spot on the chassis. Hence the gap, and the noise.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
My guess is that it's designed in to draw air from the cabin into the trunk. I've not analyzed this, it's just a WAG.

MikeTV

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-TDI 3.6 SE
My guess is that it's designed in to draw air from the cabin into the trunk. I've not analyzed this, it's just a WAG.
Yep. This came up in another forum/thread where others indicated by doing this you are blocking the venting and airflow of the cabin. Since people did this "fix" a couple years ago, I haven't heard of any problems with people passing out or other issues doing this.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Yep. This came up in another forum/thread where others indicated by doing this you are blocking the venting and airflow of the cabin. Since people did this "fix" a couple years ago, I haven't heard of any problems with people passing out or other issues doing this.
I didn't pass out, and there are grille-like openings on the rear deck designed for air to exit from the cabin, and then exit out of the trunk area near the rear bumper along the floor board. Someone posted pictures a while back.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Awesome tip! I love cheap little fixes like this that add huge improvement/$. Trunk LEDs is another similar one.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Awesome tip! I love cheap little fixes like this that add huge improvement/$. Trunk LEDs is another similar one.
I did the mod, but I honestly don't know if it really was a huge improvement. I'd list it more as a slight improvement, or perhaps barely noticeable improvement.

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
I did the mod, but I honestly don't know if it really was a huge improvement. I'd list it more as a slight improvement, or perhaps barely noticeable improvement.
That's my experience too. And I did a "blind" test on my wife and daughter and they couldn't really tell a difference.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
So I drove home last night with the radio off, paying close attention to noise. I also stopped to pick up some weather stripping to fit the gap and installed it when I got home. This morning I drove with the radio off again, and it did seem SLIGHTLY quieter. No life-altering change, but perhaps I'm not as sensitive to sound as others.

On the other hand, I always fill a large Nalgene bottle from my fridge each morning (water at work tastes like rust), and for the first time ever there was a large puddle of condensation under it when I arrived at work today... I'm not positive, but I suspect the reduced air flow to the trunk is responsible. Probably not a big deal, but I was surprised at how noticeable the difference in air moisture was.

Overall, I'd say this mod is probably only worthwhile for those who REALLY care about road noise and are highly sensitive. At least it was cheap though.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
You're talking about the interior exhausting, below the window, but where does it go from there? Probably to the trunk. That would favor two things. It would pressurize the trunk area a little, reducing dust intrusion and condition the trunk air a little. Are you saying that there's an exhaust outlet on the exterior of the car below that window?
Yes, they are hidden behind the rear bumper fascia plastic. If you've ever had to remove a rear bumper you can see them. They often have doors with spring hinges to prevent exhaust from intruding in the cabin when you back up.

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
So, if the gap behind the seats was for ventilation, wouldn't airflow be affected when you drive with a full trunk? :confused:

14tdipassat

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat SE 6M
Enough about the airflow. There are places where it's designed to allow for ventilation to pass through - i.e. the vents on the deck and apparently the rear wheelwells. But even if those were solid and welded shut and caulked... no vehicle is so "tight" that it will pressurize!