4x100, 15” steel wheels for a 96 B4 Passat?

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, '96 TDI Passat Wagon, & Jetta Sedan, '83 Turbodiesel (IDI)
I did as many searches as possible and found nothing.
So the question is in the thread title:
Are there any 4x100, 15 inch (6-6.5") steel wheels that will fit the 96 Passat? 35-38mm offset?
OEM from any other VW that will accommodate 15" VW hubcaps?
Any and all feedback appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

grimlock

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, Black
vwxyzero said:
I did as many searches as possible and found nothing.
So the question is in the thread title:
Are there any 4x10, 15 inch (6-6.5") steel wheels that will fit the 96 Passat? 35-38mm offset?
OEM from any other VW that will accommodate 15" VW hubcaps?
Any and all feedback appreciated.
Thanks
I'm pretty sure there are stock 15" steel wheels, that are 4x100. My local supplier said they are $89 / wheel. Not exactly cheap, but it can be somewhat difficult to find steel wheels that are 4x100 and have the proper offset. I was also told they were silver in color, not sure if hubcaps will fit... (should fit, but...)

I thought about buying them for a set of winter tires -- but haven't yet. Vancouver doesn't get real Canadian winters....

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
pharoahTDI, The Corrado idea: I thought the Corrado only came in alloy, but I’ll check into VWVortex.

grimlock, Does your local supplier have a part number? I’m surprised that they exist, I thought the 15" wheels for the 96’ only came in alloy.
195-60-14 (steel) 205-50-15 (alloy.)

Thanks for both the reply(s.)

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
worldimpex.com
IMPEX SKU # 54110
WHEEL DISC
WHEEL DISC
List Price: $74.03 :: Impex Price: $63.93
On my 96 Passat TDI

Last edited:

OldSchoolFresh

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta TDI
They call the corrado steelies a wheel disc? If so that's a great price for them! I don't see any shipping info to Canada though.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
The Corrado wheels work very well with our cars. After watching for 6-months I picked up a set off Vortex a couple years ago for $210, I've had them on two cars now. :)

-BB

macinco

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
I have found some folks (here is their ad):

New 15" VW wheels. They are 4 lug 2 3/4 c/c. They are still in the box but two of them got some minor scratchs. More information call.....

So.. I guess my question(s) are:

Is 2 3/4 c/c the same as 4x100? (is 2 3/4 cc is "valid" measurement for VW?) (They are VW rims)

Does any 4x100 (with a 30-50 mm offeset (Honda Toyota, Saturn, Mustang, etc. etc. ) work OK? (Lots of cool looking rims.tire combos available on ebay, CL, word of mouth etc. etc.)

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
tomo366 said:
worldimpex.com
IMPEX SKU # 54110
WHEEL DISC
WHEEL DISC
List Price: $74.03 :: Impex Price: $63.93
On my 96 Passat TDI
Corrado steelies look fantastic with full center caps and trim rings (similar to the kind found on the 1990-1992 Jetta's 14" steelies). Unfortunately, I believe they are Euro-only parts, but Impex claims to be able to special-order European parts. I can dig up the VW part numbers if anyone is interested.

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline
macinco said:
I have found some folks (here is their ad):

New 15" VW wheels. They are 4 lug 2 3/4 c/c. They are still in the box but two of them got some minor scratchs. More information call.....

So.. I guess my question(s) are:

Is 2 3/4 c/c the same as 4x100? (is 2 3/4 cc is "valid" measurement for VW?) (They are VW rims)

Does any 4x100 (with a 30-50 mm offeset (Honda Toyota, Saturn, Mustang, etc. etc. ) work OK? (Lots of cool looking rims.tire combos available on ebay, CL, word of mouth etc. etc.)

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide
If they are 4 lug they have to fit for sure but the offset may not be right. The stock Passat wheels use a 38mm offset but if you go with a taller tire you should use less offset. Most of the aftermarket wheels have replaceable hub rings so they fit on any 4x100 hub. I believe steel wheels from a Saturn of BMW will work on a VW, they have the same bolt pattern and a 57.1mm bore. Most wheels use different wheel nuts than a VW also.

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
The Corrado 15" steelie is the correct fitment for the 4-cylinder B3/B4 Passat. It's listed in ETKA as "steel wheels for winter tires". 6.5Jx15", 4x100, 35 mm offset. The closest matching tire sizes (within ¼" of the overall diameter of the stock 195/60R-14 tires) are 195/55R-15 and 205/50R-15.

With snazzy Euro center caps and trim rings:

Last edited:

vwxyzero

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmmmmmmmmm

Thanks for all the input, in the end wheels are a very personal choice. The Corrado steel wheels look really great on your cars but I’m reconsidering my options. Since I started this thread you may ask why? What? Well…yes 15" wheels were what I thought I wanted until last weekend when a friend let me borrow/swap his 15" (alloy not steel) wheels with 205/50R-15 Dunlop for my 14"s to try on our 96’s while he went out of town on a trip for the weekend. Funny thing happened, driving around on the 15s in the city for those two days told me I didn’t want low profile tires, and when he came back from a road trip on my 14s he liked the overall ride on the highway better then on his 15s. Go figure.
Bottom line, I think I’ll stick with 14s, but maybe I’ll upgrade to alloys instead. Which brings up another question: Since I’d like to stick with VW OEMs, and what I seem to find easy are 4x100 Jetta alloys I’m trying to figure out if the wheel and offset on the Jetta alloy rim would be a problem. The 14" Passat wheels have a 38mm offset and the Jetta wheels have a 45mm offset. The difference in offset is a hair over a ¼ of an inch toward the center of the car, right? Can I use them, or will I have problems.
Again any feedback appreciated!
Thanks

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline
I am using 45mm offset 14" Jetta alloy wheels with tall snow tires. I didn't have any problems yet. I like the way it rides and handles a lot better with the the tall 14" tires. My summer tires are 205/50-15 and I cant wait to get rid of them. I want to try 196/60-15 tires, they will give me a beter ride and fill up the wheel wells a little more.

The wheels that came with a B4 Passat look too small in my opinion. I think a 24" tall tire would look the best. My snow tires are 24.7" and they look a little too tall.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
vwxyzero said:
The 14" Passat wheels have a 38mm offset and the Jetta wheels have a 45mm offset. The difference in offset is a hair over a ¼ of an inch toward the center of the car, right? Can I use them, or will I have problems.
ET45s look a bit buried inside the fender. Since you are narrowing your track width and increasing the amount of negative scrub radius, your handling potential will diminish and steering will be slightly less responsive. The only positive is that the potential for torque steer will be reduced.

I think you'd be happier with ET38s.

Last edited:

joejetta91

TDI
JoeJetta89
i just found some corrado steelies, from a top secret local source.

my current rims are cheap ghetto trash from town fair, not the worst ever - but i suspect they're supposed to be honda wheels, and i'm fairly certain they were supposed to have hub centric rings or something on them for a proper fit when they were installed.

wait till you see my ride!!! hehehe it's under construction for upcoming fall/winter - currently off the road; undergoing repairs and updates... but i landed the steelies, i have 4 brand new 50 series sidewall Blizzak's, i'm going to paint the steel wheels black (my B4's black) and run staggared spacers alll dayyy long.

going to cost me a little bit of money; wheels, spacers, mounting and balencing; however - they will f*cking FIT and not make funny noises, i can drive it without fear of a wheel falling off, also... i will be leaving the unwanted "boy racer" look behind. No rubbing, No lame ass wheels, Excellent traction in the snow, and 50mpg??? once Kerma's done with my injectors and the tune. . . . . . i'll splurge, and get my windows tinted (legally)......

i have to say; I'm pretttttttty excited to get all this assembled and finished. :) I've been saving pennies for a long while to knock this one out.

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
go look for 4x100 15" Saturn Wheels ;) They bolt right on:D and are much more common/cheap.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
start researching. There are only a couple things you need to worry about:

Lug pattern
hub bore
offset range
diameter

Google is your friend.