48 state FE record attempt.

bestmapman

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Currently there is a team in a Honda Civic Hybrid attempting to set the record for a 48-Contiguous State Fuel Economy Run. Here is a link to the threads for the attempt. I thought this might be of interest to some, as the Taylors did it this last summer and achieved about 58 MPG for the feat in an 09 TDI.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H
Have they taken the specific and necessary steps to obtain validation by the Guinness Book people? Without that accreditation the Jetta run will still stand as the "Guinness Book of World Records" highest 48 state economy holder.
Guinness Book isn't the only accrediting outfit, just the de-facto recognized authority of the arcane. Maybe Honda and the CleanMPG crew is instead going for the "Pocari Sweat Book of World Records" recognition....

tasdrouille

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 A4
Doesn't the Guiness rules state the car is to be unmodified?

What classifies as a modification?

tasdrouille

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 A4
What I don't understand is why did they put the tape on? They would surely have beaten the record without the grill blocks, yet they elected to play with fire.

MrPolak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Beetle TDI
Tape or not, as much as I like to dislike Hondas, I must admit that is pretty darn impressive mileage.

So.. what else did they modify?

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Passenger mirror

Looks like passenger mirror is still on?:confused:

tasdrouille said:
Doesn't the Guiness rules state the car is to be unmodified?

What classifies as a modification?

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Wayne from CleanMPG showed up at this years 2008 TDI Fest and gave a seminar on hypermiling. I had the pleasure of going for a ride with him in members brand new 09 TDI manual. I think he got around 62mpg's with four of us in the car.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H
Looks to me like the rear "vent" is plugged up, thus forcing a pursed lip grimace and tightly squeezed eyes while straining to push exhaust through the system...