450 mile tank

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
too much toe in will KILL your MPG by at least 5..... ive seen worse tire wear get better though.
how many miles did you get out of those tires?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
too much toe in will KILL your MPG by at least 5..... ive seen worse tire wear get better though.
how many miles did you get out of those tires?
You don't wanna know....

They're over 5 years old and were starting to dryrot/crack. Had about 40-45% tread and I've put about 10,000-11,000mi on them. There blizzaks (spelling maybe correct)

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Ive got wayyy more miles on my all season tires which I've ran year round the last few years, and they still have pretty good tread 25-30%

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Running a new tank, and am driving nice as what ive done anytime, and from what I've read about hypermiling in the past. Tomorrow I'll know for sure how i did. So far first 1/4 tank has gotten me 125mi. Which still sucks, but we'll see. I have driven like an egg under the pedal, and kept rpms 2-3k for shifting through gears. Speed about 60-70 for the most part, and mostly highway. Tomorrow I'll be making a 140mi round trip (all highway) for work and will see what my numbers are. Still thinking im coming in under 40mpg😕.

I really only want my mpg for long road trips, so I'm practicing trying to get high number tanks so that i know how. Then when i want good tanks i can get them, problem is i feel like I'm trying to, and still not seeing gains. I'm even coasting into stops sometimes.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Release the hounds

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
So after putting on another 140 highway miles driving 65-75 i am getting the same. So I'm starting to find it doesn't matter to much how nice i drive...

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Damn. If i drive my 06 hard, my needle will hit "F" at 125 instead of 145mi. The problem is your car, not your driving style.
I do have a malone stage 3 and pp520's (professionally done), but still seems a bit low. Could my flow rate be high without smoking? Im confused at this point

Accidentally reset my milage at 51.3 so about 300 miles so far😕.
The car isn't smokey unless i peg it then it will sometimes, but still shouldn't effect my milage that much.

Previous owner (member) was getting about 48-50mpg, he was at like 680 somethingish miles a tank

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Its just so weird. Car starts great, drives great, and stops great. Still not making sense to me. I do have one break that squeaked a bit today when i let off the brakes, so im going to do the pins all way aroud, but it's not pulling to ine side or the other. Something else is not right but idk what. I didn't always get great milage in my other beetle, but i drove it pretty hard. Still got at least 480 mile tanks if not more

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Before you spend money and time on your brakes, go get an IR gun for $15-$25. Check the temps of your brakes after your run it. They should be within 10-15° of one another all the way around. You will find that gun will come in handy. I pull the 9v battery out when I don’t use it. I can’t tell you how old the batteries and it still works. Cheap in handy tool

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Something, or some things, are seriously wrong with this car. The only times I've seen FE drop that low is on a race track. It's very difficult to imagine that the engine seems to run normally while using that much fuel, unless you have a significant leak somewhere.

What fault codes do you have? If you can't isolate an obvious issue like a clogged intake, boost leak, streaming injector, all brakes dragging significantly, timing way off, etc., then I'd start with fuel delivery, MAF, and boost logs, and also a compression test. And also check mechanical timing, of course. At least that would be a starting point. I would imagine the issue will show itself.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Maybe he's got no wheel bearings.... or always driving uphill.... or actually is in La Rinconada, Peru, instead of his listed location.... :unsure:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Its just so weird. Car starts great, drives great, and stops great. Still not making sense to me. I do have one break that squeaked a bit today when i let off the brakes, so im going to do the pins all way aroud, but it's not pulling to ine side or the other. Something else is not right but idk what. I didn't always get great milage in my other beetle, but i drove it pretty hard. Still got at least 480 mile tanks if not more
Do you have vcds? If so, check the TDI timing, also check the lph fuel usage at idle and maf specified vs actual.
If you don't have vcds, get it, it will really help you out.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Something, or some things, are seriously wrong with this car. The only times I've seen FE drop that low is on a race track. It's very difficult to imagine that the engine seems to run normally while using that much fuel, unless you have a significant leak somewhere.

What fault codes do you have? If you can't isolate an obvious issue like a clogged intake, boost leak, streaming injector, all brakes dragging significantly, timing way off, etc., then I'd start with fuel delivery, MAF, and boost logs, and also a compression test. And also check mechanical timing, of course. At least that would be a starting point. I would imagine the issue will show itself.
Ya, sounds right to me.
No egr code, and seat belt lock (in the clicker part) code. No limp mode boost leak, will look for draining fuel. Intake cleaned this last summer when i did the egr delete. Car slows normal, and doesn't pull but I'll check that. I don't have vcds, but a local guru does if i can't find the problem ill send it to him. MAF was new last summer, could check anyway though. I could check compression too, but its low miles...

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe he's got no wheel bearings.... or always driving uphill.... or actually is in La Rinconada, Peru, instead of his listed location.... :unsure:
Nope bearings are good. Even my local guru said last fall that the car seemed good, and drove great minus a slight vibration coming from the axle. I didn't really look at my FE though until lately....was having to much fun driving. Nope totally an MN'er. Atvs in the summer and sleds in the winter!
Something you guys should know a lot about lol

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you have vcds? If so, check the TDI timing, also check the lph fuel usage at idle and maf specified vs actual.
If you don't have vcds, get it, it will really help you out.
Nope, people keep telling me to get that...

I probably should. Idk how to use it though, and i can have GreenGeeker in town look at it. I'll look for obvious things, but if i can't find anything i may just send it to him for a couple days. Even at 20yrs when it comes to computer things like that in a car im not really sure what im doing though i could probably learn.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
These engines are pretty simple. Think about fuel, boost, and timing. If you consider compression a component of boost (overall cylinder pressure made by a combination of squish and forced induction), then it's most likely one of these three things is enough amiss to cause you to use almost twice as much fuel as you should be.

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what's not wrong. But you've not yet located what is. This isn't a minor problem, so it shouldn't be that hard to find.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Nope, people keep telling me to get that...

I probably should. Idk how to use it though, and i can have GreenGeeker in town look at it. I'll look for obvious things, but if i can't find anything i may just send it to him for a couple days. Even at 20yrs when it comes to computer things like that in a car im not really sure what im doing though i could probably learn.
Yeah, probably would be a good idea.
I've got an extra unlimited vin dongle I'd let go for less than the ross-tech price for their 3 vin setup. Send me a PM if interested.
There's a lot of info on how to use vcds on the ross-tech website. I used to be in the same boat as you, not knowing or understanding the computer systems on vehicles, but I've been learning, and am pretty confident with vcds and a bunch of other software, as I use Cummins insight, Ford IDS, Detroit diagnostic link, as well as several other brands including international, volvo, mack, isuzu,...

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, probably would be a good idea.
I've got an extra unlimited vin dongle I'd let go for less than the ross-tech price for their 3 vin setup. Send me a PM if interested.
There's a lot of info on how to use vcds on the ross-tech website. I used to be in the same boat as you, not knowing or understanding the computer systems on vehicles, but I've been learning, and am pretty confident with vcds and a bunch of other software, as I use Cummins insight, Ford IDS, Detroit diagnostic link, as well as several other brands including international, volvo, mack, isuzu,...
I'll think about it for a bit. I'll message you i decide i need it

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
These engines are pretty simple. Think about fuel, boost, and timing. If you consider compression a component of boost (overall cylinder pressure made by a combination of squish and forced induction), then it's most likely one of these three things is enough amiss to cause you to use almost twice as much fuel as you should be.

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what's not wrong. But you've not yet located what is. This isn't a minor problem, so it shouldn't be that hard to find.
So far as i can tell i want to think its fuel related. Boost problem thats causing this would make me think limp mode, unless its boosting oddly. It has tons of power and torque. I'll look at it some, and get in touch with a local guru about bringing it in if need be. I'll let y'all know what i find

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you all for giving me a good head start of what to look into!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How many rpm's can you get out of it in 3rd and 4th gear? With your setup if you punch that in 2nd gear at about 1700rpm your tires should spin enough that you have to backpedal. Just wondering if you have driven another car and know what that setup should do. Maybe have someone follow you and hammer it through the gears, I would think there has to be smoke. That's a lot of fuel. VCDS is necessary to go any further. Boost and MAF can be compared specified to actual. Coolant temp, IQ, timing, and fuel consumption can all be checked.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
How many rpm's can you get out of it in 3rd and 4th gear? With your setup if you punch that in 2nd gear at about 1700rpm your tires should spin enough that you have to backpedal. Just wondering if you have driven another car and know what that setup should do. Maybe have someone follow you and hammer it through the gears, I would think there has to be smoke. That's a lot of fuel. VCDS is necessary to go any further. Boost and MAF can be compared specified to actual. Coolant temp, IQ, timing, and fuel consumption can all be checked.
4k maybe. Idk I'll check in a couple minutes. In 2nd itll squeel them if i clutch it right. Otherwise only squeal in 1st.
Ya it smokes, but only hazzy (at a certain rpm, then stops) from the rear view mirror. Every now and then it'll bealch (kind of odd), but thats not often.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Checked and power seems kick in at 1800-2000rpm which seems normal. Tires don't break loose like you say they should Jmodge, but idk if thats a big deal or not. If i get it rolling in first everything from there out i can peg to the floor without losing grip. Got about an 8sec 0-60