450 mile tank

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
If you are near greengeeker I think you should make an appointment to have it looked at. If all that extra fuel is not coming out the exhaust, it's got to be going somewhere. Only place I can think of would be past the pistons or rings and in to the crankcase.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
If you are near greengeeker I think you should make an appointment to have it looked at. If all that extra fuel is not coming out the exhaust, it's got to be going somewhere. Only place I can think of would be past the pistons or rings and in to the crankcase.
Sounds good, I'll get in touch with him. Oil smelled good and feels/looks normal (at oil change). Just did an 10k oil change 2 weeks ago (I let it go a bit longer then i like but oh well)

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Maybe somebody is stealing your fuel? ... A gallon or two here and there is not usually noticeable BUT they don't realize we are TDI folk and get worried if we have low MPGs! ... they are messing with the wrong ones ! ;-)

Maybe more likely than the above , a fuel line somewhere leaking slowly?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe somebody is stealing your fuel? ... A gallon or two here and there is not usually noticeable BUT they don't realize we are TDI folk and get worried if we have low MPGs! ... they are messing with the wrong ones ! ;-)

Maybe more likely than the above , a fuel line somewhere leaking slowly?
I would actually prefer someone to be stealing my fuel. That would be an easier fix for me (click clack;)😄). I live in the middle of nowhere, and so that's not the problem. I take long enough drives i can see the gauge go down....

I looked for leaks and there are none to be found from it sitting, as well as the other day I let it sit and run for 10-15 min and there weren't any wet spots under the car after. Its also a sealed system so a bad leak would cause noticeable problems. I really am curious as to what it could be.
thank you for the ideas!

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I have a Rocket Chip Stage 2 tune with extra extra large fuel injection Nozzles, and driving around town in KC I can pull 42 MPG pretty easily - an all highway trip should get me 45+ MPG and >600 miles for the tank (I've actually pulled 735 miles for one tank - put darned close to 17 gallons in it !). O1m changed out to 5 speed manual at 252,000 miles (currently at 378,000 miles), and I can spin the tires in 1st and 2nd gears. I usually drive pretty sanely, and I can pull redline+ RPMs in at least 2nd (and probably 3rd and maybe 4th gears as well - I haven't taken it that fast).

Oh - I do have a ScanGuage 2 and on the guages - I use Avg MPG, Boost, water Temp (to makeup for lack of guage / idiot light) and MPH. If you coast downhill in gear, it's very easy to get to 50 MPG.

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI

I brought it to Greengeeker, and he looked at a few things. Turns out the rear drivers side brakes were seized on the slide bracket, and he also commented on my light bar thats attached to my rack saying that was pulling a lot of wind resistance. Another thing ue mentioned was my versized tires being 8% bigger. I folded the light bar down behind the wind fairing. I took it on a work trip that was 160mi each way and had it up north for the week. The 160 mile trip was mostly 70-
77mph. Then when i was up there driving around for work it was about 55-60. I got a 500 mile tank. So not to shabby i suppose. I did make 6-8 harder pulls to 60mph. I also had to relearn how to coast into stops because it just glides for so long now, whereas before it would slow down quite a bit faster. I'll be keep an eye out on my next tank and will see how it goes.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Called it ... Just sayin.
Which part? Hand brake works good. Always has....actually kind of surprised considering all the rust we get.

The brake pads were frozen to the slider/bracket (brake pad holder thing), so when i pushed the brakes it wasn't actually applying brakes to the rotor.