45 cetane in central Virginia

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Chevy Volt now -- sold '03 Jetta Wagon :-(
Only 30 cents a gallon, I'd say so. My bio costs $4.81/gallon, so I'm not too phased. All fuel is still too darn cheap in my opinion anyway.

RHunter

TDI
2011 JSW
Has anyone mentioned....

The BP at 939 Cross Country Rd (Rt 522) in Gum Springs has 45 cetane?

I stopped there for a water break this afternoon and just glanced at the Diesel pump on the way out- sorry I didn't get a pic.

getfast

Veteran Member
TDI
10 GTDI (sold), 12 GTI, 98 M3/4, 95 M3
Again...

I sold the TDI so I don't come on here much anymore and I am no longer seeking quality diesel for anything but the F350 PSD that I borrow occasionally. Would someone like to take over the list in the original post?

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
Can any of you confirm the woodfin watchcard locations are still (and reliably) selling B5 diesel? I live in WV but my in-laws are in Manakin Sabot and I'm looking for a source for B2 or B5 when we are visiting them. Or, if you know of any other locations around Richmond that sell bio blends. On findbiodiesel.org, the only locations on the west side are the woodfin stations. Thanks
Go to the Shell in Charlottesville on Greenbrier Dr and rt. 29 for your b5.

asetliff

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 White Jetta
Don't know if it will help anyone but I've been buying Southern States Premium diesel in South Boston VA. 45 cetane and price as of Tuesday was $3.43 I believe.

I've also purchased b100 from Red Birch Energy in Martinsville, VA for .20 below what ever the price is across the street. Price there was around $3.15 for B100 last time.

Anyone know of any other biospots or premium spots in Martinsville, Danville, Lynchburg, or South Boston?

earlthepearl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle 5M, 2004 Passat 6M, 2009 Jetta Sedan (buy back), 2010 Touareg (buy back)
I don't know what is considered Central VA.:confused: Looking on the map, it seems to me that Richmond is in the East. At any rate, Mount Jefferson should be included, since you have to drive West for more than 3 hours to get to Lee County.:p The Sheetz on I 81 had 45 cetane for $3.499 4 days ago. I can't recall the exit number, but look for the rainbow colored water tank. You can't miss it.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Just west of Richmond:
Country Store Shell (804) 784-0932
45 Broad Street Road Manakin Sabot, VA 23103 (off I-64 one exit west of 288) (ie exit 173)
Note: 45 cetane stickers on the pump, one station out back, the side closest to the building is the car sized nozzle
Additional Note: Pump has card reader.
(confirmed July 2012)

Fredericksburg:
Plank Road BP (540) 654-5222
2216 Plank Rd, Fredericksburg VA 22401 (on 3, a couple blocks east of I-95)
Note: 45 cetane, free-standing pump @ first island closest to building
(Confirmed July 2012)
Additional Note: Price about 15-20 cents above 40 cetane at the Sheetz in the area.
More Notes: No card reader on pump.

Fredercksburg:
I-95 Exit 133 - Route 17 West
554 Warrenton Rd, Fredericksburg VA 22406
45 Cetane
Additional Notes: Card reader on pump
(Dec 2012)

Just West of Richmond:
I-64 Exit 173 (about a 1/4 mile from Country Store Shell above)
Exxon
12950 Broad Street Road, Manakin Sabot, VA 23102
Note: Pump has DIY 47 Cetane sticker. Pumps to right of store as you pull in.
Additional Note: No Card reader on pump.
(Confirmed July 2012)

(Additions July 2012)

West of Richmond
I-64 Exit 159 (Rt 522)
BP (south of Interstate)
911 Cross County Road
Mineral, Va 23117
Note: Pump is seperate, toward the road side of the lot and to the right as you enter
Stickers are minimum 45 cetane.
Additional Note: No Card reader.

West of Richmond
I-64 Exit 159 (Rt 522)
Exxon (North of Interstate)
1300 Cross County Road
Mineral, VA 23117
Note: Diesel island is behind the store with the lane FURTHEST from the road for On-Road
Stickers are minimum 43 cetane
Additional Note: No card reader on pump.

Just North of Richmond
I-95 Exit 92 (Ashland)
Go west and then take Route 1 south about 1/2 mile
Liberty Market
5235 Washington Hwy
Ashland, VA
Note: Diesel Island on left side as you enter, pumps are in the middle of the Island, labeled 45 Cetane minimum.
Additional Note: Price was about 25 cents higher than 40 cetane in the same area. So you are paying a steep premium.
More Notes: No card reader on pump.

Town of Culpeper
Southern States (aka Culpeper Petrolium Coop)
15297 Brandy Road
Culpeper, VA 22701
Note: Seperate Diesel Island to right of store as you pull in, pumps closest to store have car nozzels)
Stickers are minimum 45 cetane. Price matches typical area price for 40 cetane.
Additonal Note: Has Card reader.

Town of Culpeper
BP
340 James Madison Hwy
Culpeper, VA 22701
Note: One pump by repair bays, stickers are minimum 45 cetane. Price about 5 cents higher than Southern State above.
Additional Note: Diesel pump has no card reader.

Last edited:

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
Cetane 47 again at:

BP
Exit 47, I-66 (100 feet South)
7111 Sudley Road
Manassas, Virginia 20109
http://www.bpbattlefield.com/

They go back and forth between 47 and 40. Not sure what is going on there. Maybe they just have 47 during the winter??

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Just west of Richmond:
Country Store Shell (804) 784-0932
45 Broad Street Road Manakin Sabot, VA 23103 (off I-64 one exit west of 288) (ie exit 173)
Note: 45 cetane stickers on the pump, one station out back, the side closest to the building is the car sized nozzle
Additional Note: Pump has card reader.
(confirmed July 2012)

Just West of Richmond:
I-64 Exit 173 (about a 1/4 mile from Country Store Shell above)
Exxon
12950 Broad Street Road, Manakin Sabot, VA 23102
Note: Pump has DIY 47 Cetane sticker. Pumps to right of store as you pull in.
Additional Note: No Card reader on pump.
(Confirmed July 2012)
Scoutx, thanks for the additions. Focusing on the two stations retained from the list, the Country Store Shell is certainly the busier of the two. Of my 97 fill ups, all but two have been at this station. My only complaint is that some of the users like to use the windshield squeegees as diesel spill cleaners. It's a combination of work trucks, diesel pick ups, MBs and TDIs.

While I have always been intrigued by the 47 cetane noted at the Exxon station just east of the Country Store Shell, I have NEVER seen a vehicle filling up at the diesel pumps there.

Scoutx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta (6MT) - 1000 Mile Club (retired)___ 2015 Jetta SEL (6MT)
Scoutx, thanks for the additions. Focusing on the two stations retained from the list, the Country Store Shell is certainly the busier of the two. Of my 97 fill ups, all but two have been at this station. My only complaint is that some of the users like to use the windshield squeegees as diesel spill cleaners. It's a combination of work trucks, diesel pick ups, MBs and TDIs.

While I have always been intrigued by the 47 cetane noted at the Exxon station just east of the Country Store Shell, I have NEVER seen a vehicle filling up at the diesel pumps there.

Yea, and the store and pump at the Exxon doesn't exactly fill you with a sense of confidence do they? :rolleyes:

I just keep a little squirt bottle of soapy water in the trunk if I need it so it wasn't me.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I use the Shell in Manakin Sabot as my primary Station. I fill there about 80% of the time. The ladies in the store are a pleasure also. I still go in to get something even though you can now pay at the diesel pump.

Also, of the 2 pumps, the one closer to,the store is the only one with a nozzle that fits my car. The other is a truck nozzle, that fit my F250 just fine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I just keep a little squirt bottle of soapy water in the trunk if I need it so it wasn't me.
Not pointing fingers! Some drivers are si ply more courteous than others, and it's always good to check before using the squeegees here. More than once, I've refueled in the back, cleaned the windows in the front.

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Also, of the 2 pumps, the one closer to,the store is the only one with a nozzle that fits my car. The other is a truck nozzle, that fit my F250 just fine!
I've waited on that nozzle many times. More often than not, for a work truck where someone went inside for "just a minute."

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Four TDIs at the Country Store Shell pumps in Goochland just before 7PM tonight. Since SEP2010, I've only seen two (mine +1) there at the same time just once. Usually, one other vehicle like a pick up, a few cows, and me. Three common rails waited on the small nozzle side, the fourth, an older Jetta, was able to use truck nozzle. Three were black, plus a United gray JSW. Almost a Goochland GTG!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Four TDIs at the Country Store Shell pumps in Goochland just before 7PM tonight. Since SEP2010, I've only seen two (mine +1) there at the same time just once. Usually, one other vehicle like a pick up, a few cows, and me. Three common rails waited on the small nozzle side, the fourth, an older Jetta, was able to use truck nozzle. Three were black, plus a United gray JSW. Almost a Goochland GTG!
Nice! Surprised one of them wasn't me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
The Goochland Shell, often mentioned in this thread, has been re-stickered to show a 40 Cetane rating instead of 45. How depressing.

Last edited:

Sappington

Veteran Member
TDI
Same here. What does the owners manual on the newest TDIs say is required? My '03 say cetane 47.