40k service

BBD

TDI
Not Yet
Thanks, I dropped the car off using the night drop as I head to work way before they open. They called me when they opened and asked if I wanted one of three levels of service, i asked what was the difference in the services and was told one was fuel condition and can't remember the other but they were just added conditioners that I felt I didn't need, so I stated that I wanted the basic minimum 40k service that VW recommends with out voiding my warranty. I did not sign anything in advance.

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
Hi BBD,

My impression is that this VW Service Department took advantage of you and through no fault of your own.

Handling this issue firmly, calmly and persistently as you have done so far is probably the best course of action and the most likely technique to eventually result in a satisfactory outcome. I do not believe it would help at all if you become obnoxious or throw a loud fit at the dealership and do not recommend doing that, but I would definitely escalate this to the owner of this VW franchise. Be aware that if you threaten them with a lawsuit, that at this point they will most likely stop talking to you and refer you to their attorney.

I can't provide a copy of my 40K service since I have not had it yet. Hopefully there is someone who has had this done at a VW dealership and can provide you a copy of their bill for reference. Another option would be to ask other VW dealers in your area to quote this service.

Hopefully someone on this forum will have other advice and also recommend the best way to escalate this issue to VW Corporate if this dealer does not do the right thing.

Last edited:

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Send another email to VWoA detailing all of the items they performed that are not listed in the VW maintenance booklet for the 40K service. I.e. frigi fresh, super cool, brake flush, etc etc. When I'm home on Thursday evening I can send you the invoices for my service. The only problem is that I had my DSG service separately and I purchased all the fluids online, so I have several invoices... It certainly doesn't come anywhere near what you paid - I assure you that.

The service writer's response is obnoxious, particularly in all caps... No common courtesy whatsoever and he has no idea how to spell... Get this sorted out and never return.

Just checked totals for the 40k on my car including DSG service. $575 including all fluids and filters that I purchased. I would have paid roughly $625 if I had bought the fluid and filters from the dealer. Let me know if you want me to send you scans on Thursday.

Last edited:

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
I would have paid roughly $625 if I had bought the fluid and filters from the dealer.
$575 is a pretty good price from the dealer for the 40k service, but man, they rip you if you try to purchase the stuff to do it yourself. That's 3 times what I paid for everything from my dealer for all the fluids and filters.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
No, if I hadn't supplied my own fluids I'm saying I would have paid $50 more, for a total of $625. The dealer didnt care that I brought in my own fluid.

Patrick15630

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Jetta SEL TDI
Man that's scary, luckily mine is a certified pre owned so I'm covered up to 60,000 miles but man I'm so scared to take my car up there for anything... No TDI gurus in houston that I know of though.

TDIx2

Veteran Member
Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous pe
TDI
2014 Jetta
Just got my 40k service today. Oil and filter, fuel, air and cabin filters, DSG service, new wiper blades, tires rotated for $688. They measured brake pads @ 10 on the front and 7 on rears. Tires are at 9/32 on all four conners. I should be good to go for a while. I put 20k miles in 10 months LOL.

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
14' Subie Outback FMR: 12' Jetta TDI/P+N
Dealer wants $1,145 for the 40k service here in NORCAL, from what I have read here that is very high correct?

Where in Norcal? I'm in Roseville/Sacramento, I can recommend a few Indy shops if you need them. Also shop around dealerships... you'll be amazed at the price differences. I know that for instance you can get TWO oil changes for the price of one between two dealers here... the the cheaper one uses the real VW oils, the expensive one uses "Bulk" Valvoline.