40k Mile Service (Oil Questions from IDParts)

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Im getting ready to do the 40,000 mile service on my 2015 Golf DSG.

What is everyone’s thoughts on Rowe oil that is pre-selected on IDParts? I am a Liqui Moly fanboy (for no particular reason), but am wondering if it’s worth the $12 up charge. I usually don’t question what they recommend for use, so I’m not sure why I am here...

$153 is a pretty good deal on the whole shebang for a 40k mike service IMO.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
507 spec is 507 spec, DSG fluid is DSG fluid, buy more worry less. I scored the same kit for the Passat even though i'm 40K away (alltrack is 1200 away from it's 40K DSG change and now I have oil for the passats 50K)

I did upgrade to Total oil only cause I have another 3 qrts left over from previous changes (friggin amazon jacked their prices of total to $45 for 5 qrts, which i guess isn't that bad)

It's great idparts carry an alternative at killer prices. Their straight "DSG change kit" is only $60.

I just wish they'd credit you a buck or so if you don't want a replacement drain plug they toss in for free, but oh well.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
507 spec is 507 spec, DSG fluid is DSG fluid, buy more worry less.

That’s kind of what my thoughts were too honestly. IDParts is very reputable too so I trust if they are recommending it, it’s fine. Just was curious as to others’ opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sprstu

Veteran Member
TDI
mk1 TD, GSW TDI 6spd
Is $12 really that big of a deal when the service interval is 10k miles? Why not get the oil you like best? I’m sure there is no real world advantage but supporting company you like should be worth it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
For what it's worth, Rowe was started by executives who left Liqui-Moly. They have a more modern refining process and their product gets great reviews in Europe. They are establishing a presence in the US, but are still less well known. Their products, by all measures, seem excellent.

Liqui-Moly has recently had some internal challenges. They switched to an enterprise management system by Microsoft that has wreaked havoc on their order processing system. We typically buy Long Life III from them for VWs, but they've been unable to fill our orders for it since January. I just had to delete it from our third attempt at a container order this year. We like Liqui-Moly products and want to continue to sell them, but if they can't fill orders it's hard to do that. We're hoping their systems improve soon.

Probably more than you wanted to know, but that's in part why we've made Rowe products the default on a lot of our kits. That and it's a great product and a good value.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The Mobil 1 507 is on sale right now at NAPA. Just picked up 24 bottles and bought filters from IDParts. $131.76 for the oil. Great deal at about half off.

Jbwoo

TDI
15 GSW 06 Jetta BRM
I appreciate a bit of information behind how / why a certain company goes the direction it ends up. Sort of a peak behind the curtain.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
IMO liqui-moly is the Mobile 1 of Europe, it seems their advertisement budget is on par with most countries GDP.

Am I really gonna buy oil from you cause I see your logo at a down hill ski race or soccer game? I guess some people fall for the "made in Europe" branding as being the best.

but thats just my two cents