TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
O OK, what was all that 4...
Nice (and well done on the staging) (y)

mattboyd

TDI
04 Jetta TDI Wagon
You like? ;-) I did the same type thing at 333333. This time I had decided that since there was no gear combination with 40mph and 4000RPM I'd just settle for 40mph, but then I decided to check 40km/hr and see if I could hit that at 4000RPM, and lo and behold that's what it is in first gear. She doesn't sound like she likes 4000RPM at a cruising speed, but for the purposes of this picture. ;-) I even made a valiant attempt to get the temp gauge at 40% if its travel but just missed (I have a pic at 399999 where it was about 40%).

I just completed a massive 400k service which included:
Timing Belt/water pump/thermostat
New drive belt and tensioner
Frank Irving camshaft/bearing caps (I replaced it at 300k with an IDParts one and it was already bad)
Updated oil pump
New fuel/vacuum (tandem) pump along with new rubber fuel lines there (old one was leaking)
New EGR cooler (old one was causing soot in the coolant, so I flushed it five times to clean it all out), new coolant lines to the cooler
All new shocks/struts
New front a-arms
All four new CV boot kits
Oxygen sensor
New electric radiator cooling fan (the big one that comes on with the AC wasn't operating)
New e-brake cable (IDParts heavy duty)
Replaced leaky intercooler o-rings
Lower intercooler tube extension (the ears were worn down and it wouldn't stay seated)
Alignment (due to suspension work done above)
Fuel/air/cabin filters
3 oil changes (required for break-in of new Frank Irving camshaft)

I also have a new JVC car stereo with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay (I have an Android phone) with a 10" screen, new Kicker speakers (4) for front and rear doors, new Pioneer tweeters that should fit in the front door locations (Crutchfield said they don't have anything that is plug and play, however they said that the stock tweeter location has 0.49" clearance and these are 0.50" and they mount into kind of an insulation that I think can either allow them to be pressed in or maybc carve a tiny bit out, but 0.01" is not very much). And a Kicker amp.

Ready for another 100k.

Thank you to ninedee_golf_tdi for all his help -- he did most of the work above, and the rest of the work that I did he helped guide me!

mattboyd

TDI
04 Jetta TDI Wagon
Oh yeah, and the blend door job, which was apparently a pretty big chore. :) It gets warm much more quickly now in the cabin, even when it is 10F outside like it was here yesterday morning.

TDIGAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2003 Jetta GLS Grey 5 spd. Previous: 2003 Jetta GLS Silver 5 spd (lost in a collision)
Ready for another 100k.
I'd say, with all that work, she's ready for another 400k.
A lot of effort and $$ to spend on a 20 year old vehicle, but as the saying goes, the don't make them like they used to.
As our MK4's age, the greatest challenge (up here, at least) is keeping the rust at bay.
Well Done!

mattboyd

TDI
04 Jetta TDI Wagon
4wesome! Here's to 4 more!
Alloy wheels are a fairly recent upgrade thanks to hskrdu!

On that topic, what do you do to promote ease of removal of alloy wheels? Last time I took a wheel off it was like fighting with the devil, presumably due to the now dissimilar metals.

DuraBioPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW Jetta (5spd)
Nice! Im a bit behind you at 330Kmi in my 04 Jetta. Have done a bunch of the stuff you have listed already. I did the ID parts cam also, I hope it lasts and does not fail like yours.

These cars really are amazing. The longevity, fun to drive and fuel economy is matched by NOTHING today.

mattboyd

TDI
04 Jetta TDI Wagon
Nice! Im a bit behind you at 330Kmi in my 04 Jetta. Have done a bunch of the stuff you have listed already. I did the ID parts cam also, I hope it lasts and does not fail like yours.

These cars really are amazing. The longevity, fun to drive and fuel economy is matched by NOTHING today.
On my car, I did oil changes every 5k miles with Pentosin synthetic oil in kits I bought from IDParts. I wish the cam lasted longer and hope yours does too.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
I u

On that topic, what do you do to promote ease of removal of alloy wheels? Last time I took a wheel off it was like fighting with the devil, presumably due to the now dissimilar metals.
I use a thin coating of anti seize on the flat surfaces between rotor and wheel

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M

I use copper anti-seize on the lip of the hub, just the small portion where it contacts the wheel, and then a thin amount on the wheel where it hits the hub- if not, the wheels tend to stick when time for a rotation.

Who did your blend doors, Tom also? Did you join in the process?

mattboyd

TDI
04 Jetta TDI Wagon
I use copper anti-seize on the lip of the hub, just the small portion where it contacts the wheel, and then a thin amount on the wheel where it hits the hub- if not, the wheels tend to stick when time for a rotation.

Who did your blend doors, Tom also? Did you join in the process?
Yes, Tom did the blend doors. I had bought the plastic plugs that look like they were 3D printed a while ago; I think off eBay. Cascade parts are often cheaper than idparts for the exact same thing but they usually take much longer to ship. When we were in between jobs because of a delay in parts, I decided that instead of just tying up his garage bay I'd have him do the job. Once I said go, within a day or two he sent me pictures with the dash all apart, steering wheel off, etc. He did it fully and the right way and I'm very happy with the results. I have to turn the heat down now even on the coldest days, and I'm warm much faster. Unfortunately I wasn't there for any of that work.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
For fours sakes, good going! Nindee Tom too. I use a 3 pound hammer or my foot on the inside of tire to pop off the wheels. I always try to put syl-glide or any other brake grease on the metal: hub and calipers, carriers etc to slow the rust.