400+ hp Turbo Diesel

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
So, I've started having a little bit of an idea for a project. I know I want it diesel powered but engine choice is a wide vaguery for me and I'd like some input.

What I want is to make 400hp at the crank with the torque that will come with it. 700+Nm I'm imagining.

So what i'm asking is people to reccomend me an engine that will be good for that much power. But I want to keep it as compact as possible so let the ideas flow guys. I don't want it to be laggy though.

Packaging for turbo's etc won't be a problem so any wild ideas accepted. Infact the more wild the better.

I'm probably considering 3.0+ displacement.

Thanks for the help.

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
You'll probably be bored of the ARL before I get round to building this car. Also I don't see an 02M holding the torque this is gonna make. So I also need to get box hunting.......

Drool over the q7 v12 and it's 1000Nm of torque.

Also if anyone has rough dimensions of the 3.0 v6 tdi and the 4.0v8 tdi they would be much appreciated even if it is just length width height of the whole lot it will help me visualize things.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
The MB motor will by far be your cheapest method to hit 400HP. The V8 TDI would be a great build. 400HP should not be too hard for the V6 either (@133hp/litre). What chasis do you want to put this in?

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
There will be some financial restriction, but for the right unit it will not be a problem. Don't really want a straight six, as my planned build has a longitudinally mounted engine in the back. But bmw are something I am looking at.

tuscTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Indigo Golf GLS, 1997 E300
I understand, but if you compare power outputs of the inline vs. the v-6's you might want to keep them in the running :)

duramax/tdi

TDI
01 vw jetta tdi stock and a 500rwhp chevy duramax.
I say duramax it !! all i did was fass fuel pump efi live programing and i got 500rwhp to the ground on a dyno. beefing the allison tranz is a good idea i would know lol.

That would be the meanest project a vw with a duramax in it !!! i think back in the day a guy put one in a chevy cobalt ? not sure tho i know they put them in comaros and so on. they are the lightest v8/inline six diesel out there. and you could put a manual trans behind it..

Last edited:

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
This isn't going in a vw. How big is a v8 duramax compared to something like an LS1?

tuscTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Indigo Golf GLS, 1997 E300
it should fit in the same mounts shouldn't it duramax/tdi?

nvm. not with the ls series.

but it shouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Last edited:

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
There will be some financial restriction, but for the right unit it will not be a problem. Don't really want a straight six, as my planned build has a longitudinally mounted engine in the back. But bmw are something I am looking at.
By now, you have probably figured out the 400HP is not a problem. Compact diesel engines are not a problem....BUT 400HP FROM a compact engine works out to the more compact you wish it to be, the more it is going to cost.

At the big (as in HEAVY) end, a D-max makes 400HP dead stock. It will bolt right up to a Mendeola gearbox and you could have a sequential, rear mount for peanuts (about $25 grand). At the other extreme, you could speak to Louis (tdisyncro) about sharing development cost for his 2.0 4 banger that should make 450HP. However, if length is your concern, that means transverse mounting and you will have to shell out big bux for a fancy gearbox (Quaiffe should work). Turning it down one notch, a 2.5 litre inline 5 CRD (what VW races in PDK) should make that with stand alone ECU and you MIGHT put that through the Volvo gearbox (bolt in transverse) with a bit of stengthening?? (Scott...where are you??). If you go longitudinal, making 400HP from a 3.0 V6 shouldn't be hard at all and there MIGHT be an Audi box that will take it.

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
Yep, 400hp is easy as I see.

The Audi box has got my attention, Seems like it's made by getrag and should take 650nm of torque. But ratios might be wrong as it's from the rs6, and it will need the centre diff blocking off for MR use. Although only in automatic tiptronic from what I can see now.

Anyone know how strong the 4wd boxes are on the 3.0 v6 tdis?

I don't mind 4 cylinders longitudinal just not 6 as thats half the engine again in length added on. I have width to play with but don't want to go too long.

Porsche g50 transaxles might be a considerable too.

Last edited:

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
One thing is sure; Audi 01E-series gbox can hold 900hp/1000nm with sticky slicks on quattro but longitudinal installation required.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
Thankyou, nice info, what is the 01E fitted to?
the O1E from a Audi TDI is the right choice if you want to use VAG engine. It will fit 4cyl and V6. Need Scott on here to answer fit-up on V8TDI. The o1E/V6TDI is your cheapest option to get 400 HP, and much lighter than DMAX set-up. The DMAX set-up is a fair bit more weight, but power starts at 400HP, and can be had up to 800HP with relative ease.

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
I think v6 tdi with 01e box is the route I am going to pursue. Just need to look into a way of blocking the centre diff so no rear output. But shouldn't be too hard to sort. Now to find dimensions and weights of it all. This will be fun.

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Mate! You are doing it wrong! You need to go 4wd ! ;)

I did some thinking here and to be honest it may be even easyer to get into 400hp with 2.5v6 tdi instead of 3.0tdi because there are no bigger nozzles available for 3.0. For 2.5tdi you can use cummins nozzles and cummins distrubution heads. :)

Last edited:

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
I think v6 tdi with 01e box is the route I am going to pursue. Just need to look into a way of blocking the centre diff so no rear output. But shouldn't be too hard to sort. Now to find dimensions and weights of it all. This will be fun.
You can use the FWD version, so you will not need to block. IF you insist on AWD version, then look at my Audi conversion thread..last few pages shows how to create a locked center diff on 01A, 01E is similar, but a bit bigger bits. If you go the welded route, make sure it is properly pre and post heated somewhat to reduce HAZ zone so it does not shatter at 500ft-lbs torque. The 01A is around 125lbs, the 01E is around 150 lbs. I was just man handling mine this weekend. :D I do not have wieghts on V6. Scott might be able to help you on that. Or RyanP.

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
Ahh the 01X would seem to be the box im after. FWD seems the way to go less hassle.