4 wire glow plug to 2 wire glow plug

Muskrat619

Veteran Member
TDI
01 mk4 tdi alh
Is there a way to convert to a 2 wire glowplug setup i have two cars both 4 wire glow plugs and neither work my one car I put my 00 jetta motor and ecu in I dont know if there's something on vagcom you have to change for it to operate 4 wire glow plugs

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Are you putting the 00 engine in an 02 or 03 body? If so and that’s the only change you’ll be fine. If you put the 00 ecu in one of those cars then I think the easiest solution would be to find a used 02-03 ecu and just replace that instead of changing up the wiring. The glow plug relay is under the dash before 02 when it was put out under the rain tray.

I’m assuming the newer car has a bad ecu?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
As far as I know there is no way to change it in vcds. I think you would have to rewire the fuse panel and change the location of the relay.

I put an engine from my 00 Golf into my daughters 03 Jetta with no problems at all. No rewiring no reprogramming just a straight replacement. But her car had an good ecu in it.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
You need to use the 02 ECU and harness if you don't want to start rewiring stuff under the dash. 00 has glow plug relay inside and 02 is in the wiper tray.