3rd injector WILL NOT come out. (Spoiler it did eventually)

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
How about take only the steel fuel line off and run a hose from the the injector pump port for that cylinder to a container and start the engine for a second or two and watch the injector go into orbit with the space shuttle?? ;)
I doubt a second or two of running will help. However, running long enough to warm it up just might. I got a glow plug from a 6.9IDI loose by starting it. I got lucky as heck Ford saw fit to put a screen over the intake manifold as it launched off the hood, and came to rest on that screen. It took more than a minute, and it was not nearly so stuck.

It will likely blow the needle out. Getting that and any other little bit out before it tosses the injector out would be important...if one of those wee hardened bits gets in there, your level of pain will for sure increase.

Douglas

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
It will likely blow the needle out. Getting that and any other little bit out before it tosses the injector out would be important...if one of those wee hardened bits gets in there, your level of pain will for sure increase.
That doesn't make any sense. The injector, including the needle, is already out. If he screws it back in, it can only come out as a unit.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Though I said it there wasn't really any truth behind it. It's true that when you heat up something with holes the holes get bigger the alloy of the head is formulated such that the coefficient of expansion is pretty close to steel so the injectors are going to get just as big as the holes.

LeisureDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi
Man I’m really regretting taking it to the mechanic in the first place. The only reason I did was because I thought you needed to fully disassemble the injector to replace the nozzle, and I didn’t want to mess that up. But honestly at this point there’s nothing he’s done that I couldn’t have, I went out and bought a tool that he didn’t have so he can use it to remove it after no success with his methods and tools😡. Still not out (just dropped off the pneumatic puller this afternoon, idk when he’s gonna take a look at it) but if it was me working on it myself on my own time then a) it probably would be, and b) I would have had about 2% of the stress and frustration. Lesson learned; you want something done then do it yourself

BlueOnBlack

TDI
15 Passat Tdi Mt6
I've had this issue twice on two seperate cars from road salt and dirt build up. My fix was soak with transmission fluid around the injector hole and drive with the injector hold down loosened up. Best of luck

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
That doesn't make any sense. The injector, including the needle, is already out. If he screws it back in, it can only come out as a unit.
When you unscrew the body from the nut that holds the tip on, you will see the needle. It sure sounds like *AT LEAST the nozzle tip is stuck, and likely the nut to the head through the seal washer. If it is screwed back together, then you are right...no way for anything to shoot out anywhere. IFF nothing has dropped in from the initial inadvertent unscrewing...

Douglas

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
Man I’m really regretting taking it to the mechanic in the first place. The only reason I did was because I thought you needed to fully disassemble the injector to replace the nozzle, and I didn’t want to mess that up. But honestly at this point there’s nothing he’s done that I couldn’t have, I went out and bought a tool that he didn’t have so he can use it to remove it after no success with his methods and tools😡. Still not out (just dropped off the pneumatic puller this afternoon, idk when he’s gonna take a look at it) but if it was me working on it myself on my own time then a) it probably would be, and b) I would have had about 2% of the stress and frustration. Lesson learned; you want something done then do it yourself
I take no intrinsic joy spending my evenings and weekends doing my own automotive repairs, but I do so because of two reasons:
  • I've been burned too many times be expensive and shoddy repair work.
  • My other name is Cheapskate McTightwad.
Honestly -- if I knew of a professional tech whom I could trust to do the job right, and he charged a reasonable rate, I would have him do the work.

The benefit, though, of doing my own work is that I have learned a great deal, and jobs that would have scared me away are now de-mystified and no big deal anymore (except air conditioning and automatic transmission rebuilds) -- just as you have found out about injectors.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I take no intrinsic joy spending my evenings and weekends doing my own automotive repairs, but I do so because of two reasons:
  • I've been burned too many times be expensive and shoddy repair work.
  • My other name is Cheapskate McTightwad.
Honestly -- if I knew of a professional tech whom I could trust to do the job right, and he charged a reasonable rate, I would have him do the work.

The benefit, though, of doing my own work is that I have learned a great deal, and jobs that would have scared me away are now de-mystified and no big deal anymore (except air conditioning and automatic transmission rebuilds) -- just as you have found out about injectors.
Glad to meet you Mr. McTightwad, I'm Mr. Frugal Von Watching Budget. :)

I had a local shop clear a CEL and the tech indicated it still wouldn't pass inspection after drive cycles.
I had him clear the codes and paid him for this.
After three or so days of driving the car the CEL never came back and I started going to VW for repairs and such.
He lost me as a customer.

LeisureDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi
Just curious if the injector actually got removed yet, or not? Been reading along, and quite baffled that it's been so difficult to remove.
They just managed to get it out yesterday with the pneumatic puller, I’m able to pick it up this evening. They cut me a ‘deal’ cuz I dropped an extra 250 on a tool they used (why they don’t have that one seems odd to me) and only billed me like 500 bucks…I’m pissed cuz they really shoulda had that tool or at least realized quickly that it wasn’t coming out without it, dude’s a vw mechanic for 30 years smh. All things told, I didn’t have my car for almost 2 weeks, it would have been wayyyy cheaper and faster to have just done it myself with the tool I ended up getting. Not super pleased to say the least

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf 6MT; 2015 Sportwagen 6MT; 2016 A3 e-tron 6DSG
Glad to hear they finally got it out, but I have to agree with you: If they were competent, they would've/should've had the tool, and had it out within an hour or two. Unscrewing it was a complete noob error, so no idea how/why a "30yr VW mechanic" would do that. 🤔
Twist back and forth is how those come out and linear outward pressure is how those come out and how I'd attack a stuck one.

I had a similar experience last year where I paid $700 (down from the collective $1200 initially billed) to have the A/C tested and filled on my mk4. And when it was empty again after a week, I said "F*** this" and replaced everything myself and (a) it now works; and (b) I'm no longer intimidated by having to replace any A/C component.
Learning / doing stuff yourself FTW! :D

LeisureDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi
The only plus side is the mechanic wants to buy the tool off me. I’m on my way to grab the car, I’ll see how it drives now…I sure hope it’s better lol

LeisureDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi
Another thing I’m not terribly pleased about is he told me once he got it out to clean the gunk/corrosion out of the hole used like a small wire wheel…seems pretty risky honestly in terms of contamination/wires falling off in the cylinder

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
Another thing I’m not terribly pleased about is he told me once he got it out to clean the gunk/corrosion out of the hole used like a small wire wheel…seems pretty risky honestly in terms of contamination/wires falling off in the cylinder
Oh my word! That is the WRONG way to do that. No brush or anything… hopefully the bores didn’t get messed up

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Can you post a link to the puller that was used?

LeisureDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi
Oh my word! That is the WRONG way to do that. No brush or anything… hopefully the bores didn’t get messed up
Yeah. Not to mention, I drove it home, come out of the car and I’m like why is it going chuff chuff chuff? Pop the hood, hold my hand above the third injector, sure enough I can feel a pulse of air…I call the mechanic and he’s like yeah I left the old crush washer in cuz I couldn’t get it out. I pull the injector, no crush washer whatsoever. He says oh musta been a senior moment sorry man, the washer you got is with all the old parts on your seat try throwing it on and let me know. I put it on, and everything seems good now but it really makes me nervous man like *** oh I forgot to put a seal in where there needs to be one

LeisureDave

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta tdi
I have the same problem, number 3 on my spare head.
The other three came out with my slide hammer, solvent and some work.
Number three no way.
I have tried some different ploys. I attached a steel bar to the injector top with one end resting
on the cylinder edge and a small hydraulic jack at the other end of the bar. Twisted the angle iron bar.
Also slid a piece of tubing over the injector and hooked a threaded rod to the top of the injector which
went through a metal plate with a nut on the other side, Idea being to draw the injector upward.
The tubing wall started deforming as I cranked the nut. But it was only aluminum and not a steel tube.
Still working on this. Maybe as Frank06 said "put it in the oven." of course not possible if on the car.,
I’d recommend trying that pneumatic puller, if it’s still stuck