3M clear bras? Recommended?

Devious

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI (White)
I know there has been a bit of discussion on the past for tint and 3M. Hoping to hear from some owners of VW that have clear bra. Happy with the results? How much of your front end did you do? I really notice whatever they put on my moms car and this car I saw when I was driving around last week where its evident it has something on it thick on the hood.

I have a white car and any recommendations for or against. Does anyone have pictures of the job they got done, and where, and how much they got it done!

Thanks!

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
I had the Venture Shield by 3M installed in June and am 100% satisfied with the protection so far. I had 1/3 of the hood & fenders done, headlights, mirrors and of course the bumper.

Pictures really don't (with my abilities anyway) show the line very well. We have the Platinum Grey and it's only really visible from certain angles. I suspect with white it would be almost in visible.

If you have the $$ I would almost suggest getting the WHOLE car done as it's the ultimate in protection and you wouldn't have any lines to worry about! If installed by a licensed installer it's warrantied for life from yellowing, lifting or bubbling.

This was my thread about it back in June

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I have not tried it, but if I felt the need of a car bra, that is the only one I would consider.

It appears most readers here agree.

soundchk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Highline - Graphite Blue
I think it's great, it works really well, and you hardly notice it. But thanks to the gravel trucks in my area, it appears that I need to do the whole car :mad:

Something really needs to be done about those jerks who don't secure their loads....

mysql

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon
You don't need the entire car done. Chances of being hit on the rear or sides by rocks is slim. The clear bra won't prevent a door ding either.

If you want really good protection, do most of the roof, the entire hood, and all front facing parts (side view mirrors, bumper). That should cost you $400-500 for the materials pre cut.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
I think it's great, it works really well, and you hardly notice it. But thanks to the gravel trucks in my area, it appears that I need to do the whole car :mad:

Something really needs to be done about those jerks who don't secure their loads....

um...how do you secure a pebble that gets jammed into the lug of a tire?

or a pebble that sits on the roadway kicked up by a car that can't keep it between the lines that the truck tire lug kicks up?

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
use dimple tape to cover the whole car :) it will protect the car while making it go faster.
3M used to make dimpletape, but no longer makes it. I'm sure someone is making it out there!

SilveR316

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf 1.9L TDI
um...how do you secure a pebble that gets jammed into the lug of a tire?

or a pebble that sits on the roadway kicked up by a car that can't keep it between the lines that the truck tire lug kicks up?
I don't think he's talking about that.

I once saw a dump truck on the highway with a load of pebbles in the back. There were cracks where the back ramp of the dump truck closed, and pebbles were flying out all over the road.

Those pebbles left a few nice dents in my car and cracked my windshield.

soundchk

Veteran Member
TDI
call the MTO

Sadly, the MTO is grossly understaffed and spend more time in court, or auditing carriers with a high violation rate(Greater than 50%). Under 50%, the most the carrier would get is a letter. Under 35%, the MTO doesn't even respond. The only way to increase a carrier's violation rate is to have a physical inspection of a vehicle, or a moving violation. Complaints from motorists mean nothing.

and no I wasn't talking about stones caught in tire treads.

Last edited:

CmdrData

Veteran Member
North of 401, where the snow double/triple up!
TDI
2001 Golf - used to
MTO?? Wouldn't call OPP be more effective as it is a moving viehcle on a provincial highway. At another instance, I saw a dump truck losing its scrape paper load since its top cover wasn't down and seconds later an OPP pulled it over.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
MTO?? Wouldn't call OPP be more effective as it is a moving viehcle on a provincial highway. At another instance, I saw a dump truck losing its scrap paper load since its top cover wasn't down and seconds later an OPP pulled it over.
paper cuts can really hurt...rocks, paper, what's next? scissors?:D

right now they're grinding off the top coat of the 403/QEW and there is lots of airborne debris on the highway. not nice at all:mad:

sinc

Veteran Member
TDI
None
My buddy's windshield got cracked from rocks off the load of a gravel truck, getting it replaced now for free, all you need is the trucks plates it seems, but gotta go to an MTO office, they'll send you to an OPP office who will send you to another OPP office who will send you back to MTO where you talk to someone else and presto! New windshield! :rolleyes:

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
in FL front window damage = new windshield at no cost, no premium increases.
Stop rubbing it in .... :), this is Ontario we are talking and its sheer amount of insurance nonsense we have to put up with.

soundchk

Veteran Member
TDI
Stop rubbing it in .... :), this is Ontario we are talking and its sheer amount of insurance nonsense we have to put up with.
Ontario: where no-one dares file a claim. The highest rates in the country. We only have insurance because the law requires it ...Claim a winshield on your comprehensive policy and save $300 up front, and then watch your insurance rates double when your policy renews.... If only I had a way to get my vehicle registered in Quebec ....

CBS06

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Trip
Had the film on the car for 5 years now only on all front surfaces, where I have been driving since then im sure the whole front would have been ugly. Still looks like the day I put it on. Thick clear stuff got it from someplace in Canada pre-cut.

Jcrash

TDI
2010 Golf 4dr
Just got back from the States. Ordered the Venture Shield film for 1/3 of the hood, front fenders, front bumper, headlights, and fogs. Gonna lay it out tonight and let them straighten out. If it looks good I'll probably apply it tomorrow. :)

TOCleanDieselWag

TDI
2017 BMW 328d M Sport Touring (Wagon)
I know there has been a bit of discussion on the past for tint and 3M. Hoping to hear from some owners of VW that have clear bra. Happy with the results? How much of your front end did you do? I really notice whatever they put on my moms car and this car I saw when I was driving around last week where its evident it has something on it thick on the hood.

I have a white car and any recommendations for or against. Does anyone have pictures of the job they got done, and where, and how much they got it done!

Thanks!
I have a white car as well, and I had Ziebart do it for me. Cost was just over $300 for the about 1/3 of the hood (leading edge), leading edge of front fenders, and both side mirrors. They use a pre-cut kit to install, that is custom for the car. I had to be ordered in advance.

I didn't bother with the lower kit, which covers the bumper as it's made of plastic anyway.

The warranty on the product from memory was five years, and I'm happy with the result.

Hope this helps.