$38K Mk7 TDI

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Obviously the hypermiling crowd here that prefers S-trim TDIs isn’t the target audience for this car.

“$38k asking for an essentially new, rare unicorn 6spd, every option car with a bumper to bumper warranty for the next decade?! Absurd! I only paid half that for my lower trim car with 30k miles on it!”

:rolleyes:

I pray none of you ever look at what cars on Bring a Trailer can fetch.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I'm not sure any of the previous posts focused on the hypermiling advantage of an S model, and several said that this is exactly the model they would prefer. The chorus has simply said the asking price is too high. Certainly the seller can ask for whatever they want, it really just reveals that different people prefer different cars or options, and how we differ in perspective:

Is the car essentially new? I'd say that despite the low miles, it's 6 years old. I'd rather have a car that has put on X miles over those 6 years, with use, attention, maintenance, and love over that time- and 4 new tires. I've had a few vehicle that have had extended periods of sitting, and I think it's often the worst thing for a car.

Is the car rare? Some of the cars on BAT are rare, but I'd suggest there are few VWs sold in NA that count as rare.

Every option? Is that a good thing? The SE and SEL can be outfitted similarly, although many people avoid both because the sunroof will leak, and others (including me) didn't want the SEL seats- or the pricetag.

Does it have a bumper to bumper warranty for the next decade? I thought that particular warranty was 3/36, and if VW claims the in-service date has passed, then it's down to the emissions warranty, which is a prime selling point that applies to all trim lines.

As I previously said, for those that want a Golf over a GSW, want an SEL, and prefer a stick, then this car will stand out- but that doesn't mean the asking price isn't greatly inflated.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
2015 had a 6yr/72k warranty, not 3/36. Since the AEM runs until 2029, this was a stop sale vehicle with an in-service date of 2018. Meaning the bumper to bumper warranty applies until 2024 2021.

And my entire point is that the chorus of this forum is not representative of the entire market. If it was, TDI’s would still be available new.

And yes, it’s rare. Nobody is claiming it’s a Bugatti Divo, but it’s one of TWO 6spd SEL available for sale (quick search). Here’s the other: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/831794563/overview?aff=share_other

And if you want to count S and SE’s too, there are five. Versus the 167 available Golfs with a DSG.

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Is the BtoB warranty different for Golf and GSW in 2015? I'm looking at my owner's manual and it says 3/36.

How did you the find in-service date for the car listed? I see the seller's claim, and can do the math, but my earlier suggestion is that if the car was purchased from VW, the in-service clock has been ticking from that date. I also see it listed as "1 owner" on some sites.

In terms of rarity- again, it's a difference in perspective. I have watched prices and sales since my wife got her car (2017), and I see several SEL's with stick for sale monthly in the US. Of course, my search has just been "Golf" so that includes the GSW, and these cars have wildly varying mileage, so I don't mean to say it's an exact comparison, but rather that if I can go out and find one every month of the year, I don't count it as rare. Obviously someone looking for a super-low mileage version would need to look more often, and wait a bit longer. If you aren't looking consistently (instead of only getting a snapshot), you'll miss many which pop up and sell quickly. The search also must go beyond the typical search engines, since not all VW dealers (and other sources) participate in those. The seller of this car (European Cars) has 2 Golf SEL TDI 6M's for sale, and a seller in Omaha just sold another (he still has an SEL Golf with DSG for $14,950 and 30k miles. You could buy two of those, swap one to 6M, and pocket the remaining cash for the price of the car in question). Over the summer I was trying to get my sister to buy a white SEL from the dealer in the Hudson Valley that seems to get a lot of low mile (sub 10K) TDIs, but she needed more space than a Golf has.

I think the biggest problem I have is the cost for an SEL vs SE, and the difference in asking price. What does the SEL get you? From memory, it's seats and wheels. I didn't even want the 17's that came with my car (they will be for sale soon), and was always going to swap in some Clark plaid GTI seats, so an upcharge for seats didn't make sense. Plus, I wouldn't have swapped the SEL seats into my wife's car, because she found the her seats were more comfortable. I also think the GSW is more valuable than a Golf- despite the fewer number of Golfs available. Some cars are produced in lower numbers because there is less demand, but this doesn't make them more desirable.

In the end I agree it's a cool car, it's just overpriced.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Definitely overpriced. A $30k buyer who plans to drive the car may be out there somewhere. Anyone who'd pay $35-38k wouldn't want to add miles/ register the vehicle, imo. Maybe an automotive museum or collector would be interested at that price range, but I doubt it. Leno and Seinfeld probably have no interest- they might if it was a mk1, never registered gti.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Maybe Jay Leno will buy it for his collection.

I can’t see anyone buying this just to drive around. The first time it hits the road, it’s just another Golf and the value is cut in half.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If someone (like me) likes the idea of getting a car that no one else has driven/abused/neglected than this may be worth some premium. Although not that much.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
^ I could see condensation slowly corroding circuit boards and wires if they are never warmed up and dried out. Indoor heated storage would probably prevent that. Heating a warehouse or garage can be pretty expensive though, and kind of a waste of energy.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
If anyone is interested, Hall VW/Mazda has a *new( registered by VW in 7/2018) with only 12 miles on it a 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE black on black -6 speed MANUAL for sale!!! They have it listed for only $29,891....

mkane

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW SEL 6spd
If mine ever gets totaled thats what I would replace it with. We get an easy 50mpg hwy all the time every time.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
30k or 38k isn't all that much in the grand scheme of car things. Probably worthwhile to somebody out there, even though they would lose half their value in no time. Lots of folks buy cars that lose 15 or 20k in no time. Like some of my neighbors. They will go get a Lexus SUV that drives like an appliance and blends right into all the other SUV traffic for 80k. I never did understand that. So much cooler **** you can get with 80k.

Not sure these will find the right somebody, but who knows maybe they will. I did run across that 38k car on truecar or autotempest or whatever it was while shopping for my 8k car.. made me chuckle a bit.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Most of my life I've bought vehicles when they were "fully depreciated". Some of them went up in value. Like my $150 1964 Barracuda, or my $2,200 Olds 442 convertible. In 2009 I paid $11,000 for a 2002 Superduty 4x4 crew cab 7.3 and saw it's value rise to around $16,000. Not sure what it's worth at the moment but wouldn't sell it anyway.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I wonder if this car would qualify for the manufacturer's warranty, 3/36 or 5/60, whatever it was in 2015. If the car has never been titled, maybe it does.

For less money than the seller is asking you can get a 2021 GTI Autobahn with IRS, adjustable dampers, and Apple Carplay/Android auto.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
You could buy this, then (more) rapidly de-value it by adding adjustable dampers and Carplay/Android Auto yourself too. And get to KEEP your torsion beam, haha.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
If I wanted this car really bad, it's maybe worth about 1/2 what they are asking. New GTI is a better value.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Hey people thought that kind of price was crazy for a mk4 R32, yet it sold.

He just needs to list it on Bring a Trailer, not Craig's list.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I wanted this car really bad, it's maybe worth about 1/2 what they are asking. New R is a better value.

I fixed it for you ;)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd take either a gti autobahn or a Golf R over that myself. When that car is a collectible in 20-25 years (assuming it survives in good condition) it may bring .01 bitcoins. :unsure:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Mk8 R is supposed to have lots more power if it ever gets here.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
315hp or the plus 333hp, doubt the latter one will make it to NA. Not that much more from the MK7.

mkane

Veteran Member
TDI
GSW SEL 6spd
Who need power. What do you do with it? I tool down the highway @ 80+ and get 50+mpg. Do you drive faster than I. Doubt it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
who's shocked? theres a buyer for every car, sometimes its just a long time to find that buyer. Maybe when fuel hits $3.50/$4 a gallon that buyer will start looking.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
I wish I could find $4 fuel.. There it is, one of those sentences that you don't think you're going to say.

Its pushing 5 here.