afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
That thing would take out a small city if it was used as an explosive device. I like the mark on the sign from a stray piston

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Money to burn

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Nobody said DART needed to be involved or the build be based on an 8V ALH. IMO CR is where its at just like I'm sure the Cummins in the OP.

Randomhomelesstdibeetlegu

Veteran Member
TDI
00 ALH Tdi
Nobody said DART needed to be involved or the build be based on an 8V ALH. IMO CR is where its at just like I'm sure the Cummins in the OP.
I don't think you will be able to squeeze 1000hp out of a 2.0l common rail 06A block even if it's been filled solid. Factor it down by 1/3rd of a Cummins (6.0l or so iirc) It may do a few pulls but that's it.

I don't think a common rail can do the head flow required to get air in, and the insane EMP required on such a small area etc.

Even this thing is sort of a grenade, albeit awesome. I did about 500whp gasoline on an 06A with a 20V head and that flows like an ALH compare to say a k series Honda.

Perhaps a V10 touraeg built to the moon would be better?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
If we look at the big picture, 1.8Ts have been modded to the 1000 HP range. So it's not that I don't think we can get similar HP/L on a Diesel - I'm rather confident it can. The bottom end would likely look quite different from stock - heavily reinforced and modified, Maybe even having to resort to a custom iron head as one of our own members (andy2) has done, or machining the block and head from billet.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
biggest problem on the 8v engines is fuel
all the huge injectors are crap, and the rotary pump hates life at 7k engine RPM

commonly available 12v cummins nozzles are close, but set up for the wrong inclination in the cylinder head (25 vs 15 degrees, iirc) and while you can do an inline pump for better element filling at high RPM, you lose variable injection timing which is really really nice to have when you're trying to control cylinder pressure on the bottom end while still being able to make power in the top end

Veteran Member
TDI
00 ALH Tdi
If we look at the big picture, 1.8Ts have been modded to the 1000 HP range. So it's not that I don't think we can get similar HP/L on a Diesel - I'm rather confident it can. The bottom end would likely look quite different from stock - heavily reinforced and modified, Maybe even having to resort to a custom iron head as one of our own members (andy2) has done, or machining the block and head from billet.
I suppose if you go sky is the limit and fab heads etc. This is my first foray into diesel after age 10-40 wrenching and growing up in a household and family who were gen 1 haltech users and tuners when turbocharging was less reliable even to OEM.

Bought a MKVI JSW solid top 6spd TDI and loved it so much I picked up basket case ALH beetle to toy with and take miles.

Closed deck block becomes completely closed deck. Fill the coolant passages.

That diesel torque and the cylinder pressure. That's what I worry about.

Again admittedly I am NO diesel expert. It's like being clueless again to an extent

I did half that daily driven on a stock block while being told I would throw a rod or mangle a motor. In a small port 1.8T with small wrist pins, cheap cast pistons you could sand with (Audi motors had mahle power pack) that had timing belt collision marks and 200,000 on the bottom end. Stock headbolts. 100% high mileage stock motor. Had a dealer head done at 100k for timing collision.

Heads are mid 200cfm if I recall.

My newbie diesel understanding is that there are much higher overall pressures involved during the suck squish bang boom. Less revs. So **** tons of boost, fuel,

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
Head flow numbers for curiousity?
i dont have specific numbers but its the best flowing CR TDI made, darkside has made some good power with just a turbo + injectors

darkside has not found a reason to port that head to get the power figures they want. i can only hope they will pop a fully modded CUAA into their drag car and see what its got

@ryanp what do you think? CUAA build in the drag car? haha

Veteran Member
TDI
00 ALH Tdi
i dont have specific numbers but its the best flowing CR TDI made, darkside has made some good power with just a turbo + injectors

darkside has not found a reason to port that head to get the power figures they want. i can only hope they will pop a fully modded CUAA into their drag car and see what its got

@ryanp what do you think? CUAA build in the drag car? haha

I've yet to do a 2.5l 5 cylinder build. If I recall it's one of the best flowing VW heads ever. Gasoline dreams, ALH broke ish reality.

It would be nice to see big TDI power. As in like 600-1000whp stock head and block perhaps porting internals and airflow fuel mods.