30k mile checkup. what to do, or do at all?

blackbeasst

TDI
2009 purchased 11/13 with 29k on the clock
so i bought the car with 29k on it. not sure how it was treated by the previous owner as far as keeping on schedule.

what, if anything, is needed for a 30k mile checkup? do i need to worry about oil not knowing if it was done recently?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=372242

look here for the schedule.

if you want to check, the multifunction display can tell you how long to scheduled service, if it was reset at previous service. if you start with the key inside, hold the miles reset button on the instrument panel right side while you turn the key to on (not start) it should tell how many miles or days till next service. I would change oil soon no matter what it says.

at 30k, you need to change the oil and filter, right on time. (actually should be done every year if not by miles) use 507 00 oil. I get mine from the dealer for something like $9.50 a liter (takes four). they have filters too ask for a discount and be nice to the parts guy, he may cut you a nice deal. if you have someone else do it, make sure they show you the 507 00 number on the oil. you might as well change the fuel filter too. supposed to be done at 20k miles, or every other oil change. age should cue you in here too. DIYs are good to become familiar with in either case. you do not want air in the fuel system, so read up if you want to change your fuel filter your self.

expect the oil to be very black. even just after it is changed. (if you go nuts, and change it twice in a couple days, it will be clear for a few miles, but will soon be black. this is very normal)

if you have a DSG (automated manual transmission) fluid change is due at 40k

If you suspect the oil was funny, have someone with a VCDS check ash load in the DPF, (or you can ask the dealer or good VW mechanic) VCDS is good to have too, if you have DIY in mind.

should think about flushing the brake fluid. recommended and a good idea after five years (time for the second, actually)

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you don't know whether or not it was replaced, I'd probably replace the fuel filter, too. It's due at 20K. I would be reluctant to go all the way to 40K before replacing it if it wasn't done.

blackbeasst

TDI
Thanks guys. I might just do it all since I don't know how it was treated in its previous life!

Maybe I can also talk them into scanning my radio and locks to see why my aux port doeant work and why my rear doors don't unlock when I turn the car off!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
blackbeasst: Welcome to the club! I think you're doing the right thing to just eat the cost of the fuel filter, oil/filter change, cabin filter. Consider a brake flush as well.
As for the rear door locks, a search of this site will come up with several threads about the known weaknesses in the door lock mechanisms.
Did you buy from a VW dealer? Which dealership?

blackbeasst

TDI
blackbeasst: Welcome to the club! I think you're doing the right thing to just eat the cost of the fuel filter, oil/filter change, cabin filter. Consider a brake flush as well.
As for the rear door locks, a search of this site will come up with several threads about the known weaknesses in the door lock mechanisms.
Did you buy from a VW dealer? Which dealership?
are all these things recommended to have done at the dealer, or would a well known vw mechanic be fine?

also, what is the lifespan of shocks/struts? i've noticed more and more as i go over speed bumps that my front is making some noises.

edit: it was not a dealer purchase. 3rd party so thats why the past is unknown

Last edited:

blackbeasst

TDI
also, i see in the chart that meer posted that under the first 30k miles it says "carefree maintenance program", what is that?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
"Carefree" is for new-car buyers. VWoA builds in the first 36k maintenance into the selling price (so it's NOT free!), includes oil/filter changes every 10k, fuel filter at 20k, cabin filter at 20k.
Front end noises? When cold, it's not unusual for the control arm bushings to creak. I don't believe VWoA has a fix for it.
There's a VW "guru" list here somewhere. Also, by listing your location in your signature, someone might tell you where to get your car serviced.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
"Carefree" is for new-car buyers. VWoA builds in the first 36k maintenance into the selling price (so it's NOT free!), includes oil/filter changes every 10k, fuel filter at 20k, cabin filter at 20k.
Front end noises? When cold, it's not unusual for the control arm bushings to creak. I don't believe VWoA has a fix for it.
There's a VW "guru" list here somewhere. Also, by listing your location in your signature, someone might tell you where to get your car serviced.
should be past tense. for the 09 there was a 36000 mile service included with price. but would have been limited to three years as well.

later models (not sure what year) dropped to 24000 miles two years. (if I recall with any accuracy)

not likely a resold 09 would have any "free" service left.

blackbeasst

TDI
dealership costs are as follows:

fuel filter $89.95
oil/filter 69.95 (and he said the oil is a 502 oil?)
brake flush 129.95

and then $99 to use the vcds machine to reset my radio since the aux port isn't working.

also got a call in to a local import shop to see what they charge.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
If you would like to PM me your VIN, I can run it with Vw and see what (if any) services were performed at the dealer...

blackbeasst

TDI
Oil needs to be 507 00
am i correct that the 502 oil is for gas and the 507 oil is for diesel? how can i make sure the correct oil gets put in?

edit: honestly, are these cars any hard to change the oil then others? do i need some specialty built german part or can i do it with just basic tools?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
504.00 is 507.00 typically, but I'm not sure it is always. 502.00 is 505.00, good for TDIs up through '03 in NA. Oil changes are easy.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
I would run away from that dealer, fast!! The oil change on that engine are not harder than any other TDI. Oil filter is a top load cartridge. Oil is drain and refill, the hardest part is removing the belly pan. The fuel filter is easy to get to, although technically you are supposed to prime with VCDS after changing... All the parts (both filters and 5 liters of 507.00 spec oil) should cost less than $100 either online or at a dealer...

The only specialty tools you need are a couple of torx bits for the belly pan and fuel filter, a 32 mm socket to remove the oil filter and a 19mm wrench for the drain plug...

I generally order my parts at idparts.com. Reasonable prices and fast shipping...

blackbeasst

TDI
thanks bug.

sucks cause im no german car mechanic so im gonna have to suck it up and pay for the brakes. i've looked online at changing the fuel filter and i think im gonna pass on me trying that as well. the oil looks easy.......if i can find it for less then $60 w/filter :eek:

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
If you can wait till January I will be in Duluth (neighboring city) on business (3nd week) and would be glad to help with the fuel filter one evening. I have vcds and have changed several with no problems.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

blackbeasst

TDI
the local shop just called me back and they are on par with the dealership as far as oil/fuel but about $30 less on the brakes.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
calculate shipping and sales tax, and compare with your dealer parts desk.

Be nice to the parts guy, and he/she may find a discount for you.

blackbeasst

TDI
calculate shipping and sales tax, and compare with your dealer parts desk.

Be nice to the parts guy, and he/she may find a discount for you.
Shoot, my local dealer said they use a 502 oil. That won't fly will it?

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Shoot, my local dealer said they use a 502 oil. That won't fly will it?
Nope. Not a good idea to use 502.00 oil. But your dealer should have the 507.00 spec oil at the parts counter. If not, first of all I would never go to that dealer again EVER! Also there are other local alternatives. I know that Pep Boys has the Mobil 1 esp formula in 507 spec as does Napa with Liquimoly (usually has to be ordered). I however have been ordering mine from idparts.com and they have been great to work with and as reasonable as anybody both in price and shipping costs.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

blackbeasst

TDI
hmmm, looks like advance sells its for 9.59. im looking at needing 5 quarts, right?

also, anyone got a part number for the mann filter or compatible filter?

also #2, whats the deal with the 32mm wrench. is that anything special or can i use something else?