300K Suspension Refresh Ideas

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
I'm just shy of 300k on my 2006 Jetta and looking for ideas on a full suspension refresh. Budget is about $1000. I've seen bits and pieces here and there and of course shock/strut sets but surprisingly few sets containing all of the rubber pieces that tend to wear out.

Ideas? I'm just trolling for suggestions here.

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
Bumping this back to the top.

Is the best option for replacing the rubber pieces in the rear suspension simply to replace the trailing arms and control arms? I'm tackling the struts / springs as a separate item.

1998993C2S

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Pkg2 DSG Navi
I'd complete a suspension revitalization around the 150,000-160,000 mi. /10-year mark.

Traveled the OEM/VW-Audi parts route as the Febi-Bilstein, Lemforder and Meyle parts were crap. The Uro brand parts are junk. Besides, many of the F/R bushings are singularly available thru VW/Audi. Many of the Audi A3 / S3 rubber bushings are available; All n all turned out to be a nice upgrade to our MY06.5 USA Jetta TDI. Plenty of Audi S3 bushings, Koni FSD street shocks w/ OEM VW/Eibach lowering springs and 17x7et51 GTI alloys. (10 spoke) Wearing Michelin Pilot Super Sports make for a spirited handling daily driver. Not so much as a rattle, solid, like new. Go OEM parts.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You do realize that Lemforder is one of VW's OE suppliers, right? Aside from engine, transmission, body, and interior parts, VW makes few of their own components. TRW (owns Lemforder) is a big suspension supplier, as is ZF/Sachs. Bosch supplies some OE parts too, like brake calipers and pads for some cars. And (gasp!) many of VW's OE suppliers now produce parts for production in China. Why? Because VW sells more cars in China than in many other regions.

Aftermarket parts are OE in many cases. It's just a matter of knowing what to choose.

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
Go OEM parts.

That's the plan, lol.

You replaced all your bushings individually?

I've been reading that due to some of the pressing that's required, and the low cost of OEM replacements parts, it works out to be less pain to simply replace the entire control arms and what not.

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
Mine is. Lots of creaking and squeaking while driving. It even squeaks when I get in (and I'm under 180 lbs).

I also tow and a lot of my miles have been with some weight in the trunk. So figured I've put on some additional wear and tear over the years.

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
So! To close this out, it looks like I'll be putting the bushing refresh on hold.

The creaking and squeaking? Broken rear swaybar link. It caught just right on the lower control arm to wear a groove and basically make its own metal-to-metal attachment point. Created quite a racket while driving.

Still need new springs and struts/ shocks, but apparently the suspension is still noise-free at 310k!