300 miles left on BTB warranty - what to check????

master cylinder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Cool White
I only have 300 miles left until my 50K bumper to bumper warranty is up! I don't have anything that I know of that is wrong. What should I look at to see if it needs tending to before the warranty is up? I just don't want to get surprised 50 miles out of warranty
. I just might be paranoid
. Thanks

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Well, you could go through every control listed in the owner's manual and verify that they work.

Electrical things are typically the biggest sources of trouble in any car.

Some thing in particular to note, if you have an a4-platform car:

Verify that the interior lights and the headlamp on chime work properly based on doors open / closed. The driver's door switch is a fairly common failure.

Verify that the trunk / hatch area light works when opening the trunk / hatch.

Verify that alarm arming when a door, trunk / hatch, or hood is open causes the alarm to arm only when everything is closed. Problems here can mean problems in one of the switches (driver's door being the most common).

Fold down the back seat and put it back up. There have been reports of one of the seat belts getting stuck. Sit in every seat and buckle / unbuckle every seat belt.

Verify that all windows go up and down properly, with no unusual noises. Window regulators are common failures.

If you have access to a scan tool, you may want to check the codes. Be careful about scanning the air bags, especially if your car is out of warranty, since some air bag controllers self-destruct if scanned.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
My cruise control failed 500 miles before end of B2B warranty -- dealership is replacing clutch switch at no charge.

If everything is working okay... well, there's no way to anticipate that something will fail right after your warranty expires.

deltafox

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000 black
I think you're entitled to one brake fluid change in the first 2 years. If you're hitting that limit right about now, you might want to get one from the dealer for free.

master cylinder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Cool White
deltafox - no free brake fluid change on an '02 that I know of. Besides, I already changed it out myself last month with ATE Super Blue Racing oil
. I can't find anything wrong so I guess don't have to worry about the Dealer screwing anything up. I can't believe my baby already has 50K on her. I remember the day I picked her up like it was yesterday. I have loved every mile and can't wait to drive the next one
. Thanks for all the replies - was just looking for any hidden, known problems that I may have over looked. I really try to resist taking her to the Dealer unless I have to (warranty only!).

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Since my earlier response in this thread, my odometer rolled past 50k miles.

And guess what? Yep...

First, my AM radio reception went to hell. Partially unscrewed the antennae, then screwed it back down tight. Reception: good as new.

Then a couple hours later, another driver told me I had a brake light out! Gee, when it rains, it pours! But I discovered how easy it is to replace a bulb in the back. I've never owned a car where you could change a brake light or tail light without using at least a screwdriver.

Anyway, 50k miles have come and gone, and my warranty was used twice, both times for MAF sensors. And now for a clutch switch that prevents use of the cruise control. My experience has been a total refutation of the accusations of shoddy quality control. I guess I can't really comment on the assembly-line workers in Germany or Mexico, but those Brazilians produced a real fine car.