#3 Injector Plug Swap ***How To***

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
With Red Rotors (Marc) increasing sales of complete Bosch .205 injectors, there are many asking how to plug them in to the OEM plug. Since his injectors come from a 2003 car, anyone who has a 2K3 has no worries. If you are a 2002 or older owner, then the plugs are not compatable and must be changed. It is a simple procedure and can be done with simple tools & materials. And the plug is only a few $ from the dealer, so no worries about cutting & splicing.

First step is to make yourself a pin extractor tool. You need:

1 medium sized paper clip
1 hammer
1 pair of pliers.
1 new style plug (part # 1J0 973 722)

Take your paperclip & use the pliers to straighten it out. Cut it to 3 or 4". Then shape it into a tweezer shape as follows:

In order to get the ends of the tool to fit into the end of the plugs, you have to use a hammer & make the tips flat:

Now, find the plug in question. It is attached to a bracket under the vacuum reservoir (black ball):

Insert the pin removal tool into the end of the plug like this:

You should hear or feel a slight click as it pushes in the barbs that hold the pins in place. You may have to push the tool in further if the pins will not release. Another tip that Lito has suggested is to bend the tips of the tool inward. This helps in releasing the locks. Once you have released them, the wires just pull out:

Now that you have the old plug off, here it is compared to the new style plug:

If you look closely, you will see the numbers on each plug. The grey wire goes in slot 1 & the blue wire goes in slot 2 (just remember that 2 & blue ryme, so you won't forget):

Now, just insert the wires into the new plug & you are done. Just make sure that the locking tab inside the new plug is not locked or the pins will not fit. Here is the locking tab (purple thing) in the unlocked position:

Here it is once it is locked. You can use a small flat screwdriver to slide it in & out or any small, sharp object. Note that when you buy it from the dealer, it should be in the unlocked position already.

The new plug will fit into the existing bracket, so everything still looks OEM & no worries about tie wrapping it somewhere:

So now you have successfully swapped the injector plugs. You can now continue on with the rest of the instalation. I do recommend trying the connector swap before taking anything else apart in case you have a problem and have to put the old injectors back in.

For those of you who do not want to bother with making a pin removal tool, you can buy one from many auto parts stores for around $15. Just look at the 'Electrical pin removal tool' thread.

Good luck to all & I hope you enjoy your new injectors /images/graemlins/grin.gif

EDIT: This writeup was done before the popularity of the .216's. The procedure is the same, but the connectors are different. The .205's have a new style connector, and the .216's have the old style connector.

So to summarize:

2003 cars can install .205's with no modification.
2002 and older cars can install .216's with no modification.
2003 cars need an old style plug (037 906 240) to install the .216's
2002 and older cars need the new style plug (1J0 973 722) to install the .205's.

Hope this helps to clarify things.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Were you in the running for that MacGyver show that used to be on TV? /images/graemlins/smile.gif You are a very handy guy. I am saving this thread as I am going to change the injectors on my Dad's A3 and I will have a similar connector issue.

Deception

Veteran Member
I wish you posted this 2 weeks earlier. I tried using the text descriptions but I could't get the damn pins out, but now that I see the pictures I was doing it all wrong. I gave up, and simply chopped the connectors off both ends and connected the wires together using crimping butt connectors. Works fine, but I would still prefer to have swapped plugs. Oh well...

dieselt

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 2000, green
Your eight hours late...was able to change mine out this morning. Easy once you figure out the mechanics. What was funny about it all was the VW parts person couldn't figure out why I wanted that part /images/graemlins/grin.gif 205's are installed and running strong with the Pierburg and stock ECU and of course OLDNAVY's CCV, /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
[ QUOTE ]
Were you in the running for that MacGyver show that used to be on TV? /images/graemlins/smile.gif You are a very handy guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You want to see MacGyver, look at my Engine mount fix thread where I fabricated up a bracket to replace a broken 3rd mounting point. Everytime I watch Monster Garage or Junkyard Wars, I think 'I should be on that show'!!!

RedRotors

Vendor
TDI
Golk 2k1 TDI / Dodge RAM 94', 2500, 4x4, Cummins
Thanks a lot Wingnut, it's really appreciated. Everything is very clear with all the pictures!

Thanks again.

Marc/

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
Wingnut,
Thanks for the excellent write-up! /images/graemlins/cool.gif
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I have an '03 and want to install the .216 injectors: does the part number above include both sides of the connector, or just the engine side? I think I remember seeing that the 216's have the older style plug on them, so I'll need to adapt one side or the other to match up and would rather change the injector side to the new style connector.

Thanks,
Kent

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Nigel,

Thanks. I tried posting diagrams and things but I guess people just need the real thing.

Nice work.

L

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
[ QUOTE ]
Wingnut,
Thanks for the excellent write-up! /images/graemlins/cool.gif
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I have an '03 and want to install the .216 injectors: does the part number above include both sides of the connector, or just the engine side? I think I remember seeing that the 216's have the older style plug on them, so I'll need to adapt one side or the other to match up and would rather change the injector side to the new style connector.

Thanks,
Kent

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot change the injector side as the wires are moulded into the plug. You can make an adapter if you want, but it is much easier to just swap the plugs on the harness side.

If you have a 2003 with the new style connector and you are putting on .216's, then you need the older style plug (the square one with the wire retaing spring). The part # for that plug is 037 906 240. It is more expensive though at around $10-12 instead of $2-3 for the newer style. But the procedure is the same for removing the pins. Just don't forget to unlock the purple slide lock on the newer style connector before truing to pull the pins.

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
Thanks for the quick info: I'd rather find out now than later! Looks like I'll be swapping plugs on the engine side when the parts arrive! BTW, is there a resource that can be used to look up part numbers like the connectors, etc? I always thought that was a dealer exclusive.
Thanks again,
Kent

DieselTrap

Veteran Member
TDI
99 PSD
Hey i like the bandaid on the finger pic you know someone has been working then (owch) I hate it when i push that test light through my finger a few times (everytime) /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
[ QUOTE ]
Hey i like the bandaid on the finger pic you know someone has been working th

[/ QUOTE ]

picture #4: wingnut with a hammer.

picture #10: wingnut with a band-aid

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Thank you for sharing this.
I had an owner with a 2003 TDI bad #3 injector. This owner bought an older style #3 injector and didn't realize that the connectors were different styles.

Not wanting to splice these wires I opted to replace the female connector.
With these instructions the connector swap was flawless.

Even reversing (new style to old style) the type of connector this info was valid and helpful.
Kouds to "Wingnut"

Last edited:

p377y7h33f

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-Speed in Tornado Red
the both wires on my #3 injector have already been cut and spliced by someone. besides the positive wire almost breaking off right at the injector, both of them are pretty bad at the male injector plug. the only way to solder replacement wires ron either the injector or the plug would be to melt some of the plastic away. it should be safe to do at the plug, but i would like to find a replacement if possible. not sure what to do on the injector side, though i don't think the broken insulation in that spot has given me a problem yet.

so is there a male plug similar to the newer oval one that comes with the injector? part number? anyone successfully replace a broken wire right at at the injector, and i mean very close to it, maybe an 1/8 of an inch sticking out?

MacAndrew_Jack

TDI
Vanagon Syncro Weekender
Hi Volks,
[resurrecting an old reference post here]
So I have been messing around with this for the n75plug and finally have success. Each wire and its pin end needs to be pushed. Somehow I didn't understand that at first. And I found it helpful to mark off .5 inch on the tool, as this is how far from the end of the metal pin that the barbs are, so if you are .5 inches in with the tool, you are pushing in the barbs, and can get the major release. I tried several times with no success, and kept removing the tool, straightening it out, making the bends bend in slightly, and then re-inserting it. Eventually it went!
-macjack

Last edited: