Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
DPM said:
What's with the visible smoke at idle?
[Off topic] I wish I knew?

It wasn't fully warmed up FWIW.

Hoping my new PP nozzles and chip tuning will help some of this. Injection timing is right where it should be - upper half of chart. In-tank lift pump should provide sufficient fuel. ?? [On Topic]

More trailer pulling today - Definately more resonances/drones when loaded vs unload vs no trailer at all. Need to get it back on the lift and see if I have rubbing somewhere causing them or if it's just sound pulses.

FlashandFlare

Veteran Member
TDI
03,Jetta GLS Reflex on Blk leather, 06 Jetta Blk on Blk Pkg 2
DPM said:
What's with the visible smoke at idle?
It's cause its a cold engine.
I have nozzles and chip tuning and mine does same thing. Once its warmed up you won't have the blueish unburnt fuel smoke.

Flash and Flare

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!

Great video clip of the sound & installation, nice clean tight install. Looks like all those hours of fitting and refitting really paid off.

Wonder what it would sound like with a cherry bomb type resonator.

FlashandFlare

Veteran Member
TDI
03,Jetta GLS Reflex on Blk leather, 06 Jetta Blk on Blk Pkg 2
FUB, did you take down any measurements for the downpipe when you made it ? I would like to have a 3 inch one fab'd up locally here or how soon before you start marketing them ? LOL
*crossing fingers*

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The installation looks great. You spent a lot of time on it and it definitely shows. 4" is obviously excessive... my 6.0 PowerStroke only has 3.5" and it runs some 25 psi of boost. However, the 4" on your car looks and sounds great! How about some in-car video?

Here's a video of the 3" on the Benz... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEqQbdf5RMI

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Thanks for all the compliments. I'll be working on it again this weekend trying to get rid of the vibrations/resonances and getting my EGT re-installed. I'll try to get some more pics/video. Some in-car shouldn't be too tough.

For those that have inquired about getting one of these, oh my. Let me think on it.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Nice work, but I've been assured that my 2.25" straight through with no zorst fittings will be absolutely fine for me to push toward the high 200s (flywheel). I've no plans to change it, and my car's so low it's already knocking on the rear beam sometimes....

DieselSmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta
I'm sorry to go against the grain and dont mean personal offense to the poster, but this is the riciest TDI mod I've seen yet. There is absolutely no need for such big piping, what a royal waste of time.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
DieselSmoker said:
I'm sorry to go against the grain and dont mean personal offense to the poster, but this is the riciest TDI mod I've seen yet. There is absolutely no need for such big piping, what a royal waste of time.
The larger the exhaust the more power it will make. It might suffer on the low end, but with the torque we have that is not a big deal.

No Exhaust would be the best exhaust, so basically.... the larger the exhaust the better.

There might be minor differences between 3" to 4", but I am impressed that he got it to fit. I would love to find a 3" DP for my TDI.

This also sets him up to go big turbo without any problems....

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
But 2.25" will be fine for the biggest turbo the 1.9 can handle. I should know as it's currently bolted to my car outside. Not taking anything away from the mod as it's some decent work, but there's little need to go above 2.5" even when going for 300hp.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
devonutopia said:
But 2.25" will be fine for the biggest turbo the 1.9 can handle. I should know as it's currently bolted to my car outside. Not taking anything away from the mod as it's some decent work, but there's little need to go above 2.5" even when going for 300hp.
What data do you have to back-up that claim?

Have you tried it? Data logging?
Thermal dynamics?
Flow characteristics?

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
greengeeker said:
FUB...I can't remember (can't watch the vid at work) but if you did remove the flexpipe, your work is cut out for you to eliminate the vibration issues in the muffler. If you look around you should be able to find a 3" automotive flexpipe to throw in before it turns into the massive 4". Here's an example: http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=BK&PartNumber=7354794&Description=Exhaust+Flex+Tubing
You can't see it in the video but I installed a 3" flex joint - just like the OEM one but in 3" stainless steel. Unfortunately it's only 6" long so it's L/D ratio is worse than the OEM one that is ~8" long but 2.25" dia so it's not as floppy. I think if it were solid (no flex pipe) it would break the turbo or manifold in short order as much as the engine moves around.

I'll know a lot more once I get it back up on the hoist and run it against the brakes while someone watches what vibrates where.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
DieselSmoker said:
DieselSmoker - no offense taken. I appreciate your feedback - thanks for being honest about what you think.

Justler

Veteran Member
Sounds funny on a pretty stock car =). You need a VNT20 to go with that. That'd be one hell of a cone adapter... like 2" to 4", lol.

I'll be running a 2.5" cat-less mufflerless. Gonna buy a borla muffler just incase it's rediculous driving in traffic.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
DieselSmoker said:
You have to check this out then! I just put on a shark fin antenna :) You honest devil you!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=133108 (last post)

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
devonutopia said:
devonutopia - "Need" and "Fine" are such funny words, they have such different meanings to different people in different situations.

I'll put my EGT probe back in this weekend (post turbo again) and I'll get a feel for how much (if any) difference there is in post turbo EGT's. If I get really motivated, I'll put my stock exhaust back on and measure pre and post turbo pressures on the exhaust side and then repeat with the 3" + 4" setup. If I get extra super motivated, I'll record VagCom runs of MAF vs RPM for each as well. And if all the planets should align just perfectly and my 2nd from the left toe on my right foot twitches 3 times that morning, I'll put the OEM cat and muffler back on and get a comparison for the ever popular cat & muffler ectomey's.

But until then we'll just have to speculate :)

Thanks for the compliments about the work and your opinion on the subject

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
Jason: You might want to measure your backpreasures before and after the turbo. I'm pretty sure youll notice there is measurable bakcpreasure in the exhaust post turbo with your 2.25" pipes. Any backpreasure after the turbine increases spooluptime and reduces the VE of your engine. With your new turbo (wich hopefully isnt inside VNT17housing anymore) will benefit from larger exhaust for sure.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Well, I do have a bigger bore downpipe, circa 2.75", which should help but I doubt I have any real back pressure at all apart from what the turbo itself produces. With my exhaust having nothing in it except the pipe, the gases get out pretty quick - I never seem to have the boot sooting up issue like other cars and I can only put this down to the speed the smoke comes out the tailpipe and it never gets dragged into the aerodynamics of the car. My car was tuned to 220bhp originally with just a pd100 downpipe and the original pd100 exhaust system, minus the cat - so big power can be had even from close to stock exhaust systems.

pearse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf BEW engine
Keep the opinions coming! I'm doing a ALH swap into a mk 1 and I will need an exhaust soon. I'd like to know what a good size is. I'll be running a vnt 20. I ran a 3" on my eagle talon, would like to know what I need for the scirocco!

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
greengeeker said:
Just look at what Ed is doing...209hp w/vnt20 and stock exhaust.
Ummm ... not quite "stock exhaust"

The exhaust is stock diameter, but it is a custom-made turbo-back straight-pipe with no cat and no muffler.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Sorry to jack.

Ed how do you get past BC aircare? (I'm asking since I think a similar program is due to come here as another good tax grab). I had to retain a "muffling device" aka cherry bomb for inspections and I'm sure they'll look for a CAT as a minimum (or at least a cat shaped device) for the aircare balogna.