3 Bar MAP sensor install disaster

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
I pulled the washer tank to access the two Phillips screws that secure the MAP sensor to the intercooler in the '02 wagon. The screws would not budge. I disassembled the front end of the car to remove the intercooler. (Had to be done anyway to replace headlight lenses, and the fenders, which have the VW created rust issue) I tried grinding the edges off of the screws to get a set of vice grips around them. Broke the heads right off.
I ended up breaking the old MAP sensor in finally removing it from the intercooler. I was left with two thin nubs that are nothing more than rust. I ground them flush in anticipation of improvising some new fastener arrangement.
Any suggestions for the best way to deal with this(?)- short of buying a new intercooler?
Thanks, guys!

Last edited:

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
An easy fix is to just hand drill two new sheetmetal screw holes right next to the broken screws and reinstall the MAP sensor just slightly rotated from it's original position. I've had to do that once or twice and it worked just fine, plenty of material to work with.

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
An easy fix is to just hand drill two new sheetmetal screw holes right next to the broken screws and reinstall the MAP sensor just slightly rotated from it's original position. I've had to do that once or twice and it worked just fine, plenty of material to work with.

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the advice! :cool:

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
If you remove the thing from the car, it will be much easier to repair.
It had to come out. There was way too much going on with this is I had any hope of salvaging it.
I bought some self tapping screws, and I drilled the pilot holes. I carefully screwed them in, backed them out. (repeated a few times) I used a couple of big globs of GE Silicone to make sure that I have an air tight seal. The screws went back in nice, 'n tight. Beautiful!
I can see the sensor inside the IC, so I know I didn't accidentally hit it with the silicone. :)
I have most of the front end pulled off of the car for new fenders,and paint.
Guess what I'm going to do for the Holiday?

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've read on these forums how easy it is to pull the front clip. My nephew mechanic did my radiator last fall says that's not the case. Pay special attention to the hood latch when you reassemble.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I've read on these forums how easy it is to pull the front clip. My nephew mechanic did my radiator last fall says that's not the case. Pay special attention to the hood latch when you reassemble.
Besides the bumper, there's 4 bolts that holds the rad support on. It comes off quite easily.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
It had to come out. There was way too much going on with this is I had any hope of salvaging it.
I bought some self tapping screws, and I drilled the pilot holes. I carefully screwed them in, backed them out. (repeated a few times) I used a couple of big globs of GE Silicone to make sure that I have an air tight seal. The screws went back in nice, 'n tight. Beautiful!
I can see the sensor inside the IC, so I know I didn't accidentally hit it with the silicone. :)
I have most of the front end pulled off of the car for new fenders,and paint.
Guess what I'm going to do for the Holiday?
Mine is held in place with safety wire...lol. Seems to be working fine. I've used it many times over the years on track bikes, and I've gotten in the habit of using it for other things too;).

Rem

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Compared to my B4V, this car was a bear to disassemble. Maybe, somehow, I'm oppressing bad memories... "-)