3.5 mos and $2000, never again VW...

Clark Addison

TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI
I've had my 2010 JSW for 14 months, 13k miles, and the only issue I've had is that the rear seat armrest is hard to put down. It's the most trouble free new car I've ever owned (including Porsches and other VWs).

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
I've had my 2010 JSW for 14 months, 13k miles, and the only issue I've had is that the rear seat armrest is hard to put down. It's the most trouble free new car I've ever owned (including Porsches and other VWs).

ditto...24,000kms and not ONE single issue...sooo...guess I got lucky...

Jayhawks

TDI
11 JSW TDI
NO dealer visits for a 5 yr old cayman and a 7 yr old bmw ?? uhhhhhh........ok....and the snow cones are great in nigeria this time of year ....

I stand by my statement. The Cayman, has 34k mi and has only had routine maintenance and tune-ups. The BMW was sold several years ago with 62k mi, zero problems.

I was about to defend my decision and comment on other posts. Point is, I don't really care. I no longer own a VW and never will again. Thanks to those who were helpful with tips and comments when I owned my JSW. TDIClub is full of knowledgeable, mature, and helpful members. It really is one of the better car forums I have been on. auf wiedersehen!

tominmaggie

TDI
2010 JSW - traded it 12/31/11 for 2012 model
My '10 JSW has been a PERFECT car. I am not crazy about the dealership, but that is nothing new. with over 40K miles, I am still impressed with a smooth, quiet ride and I hope I can enjoy many more years of trouble-free driving. First-time VW owner, and hope to be satisfied one for years to come.

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI

JKC_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Passat TDI DSG | '15 Passat TDI SE Manual (sold 7/2018) | '10 Jetta Wagon TDI manual (sold 4/2015)
I stand by my statement. The Cayman, has 34k mi and has only had routine maintenance and tune-ups. The BMW was sold several years ago with 62k mi, zero problems.

I was about to defend my decision and comment on other posts. Point is, I don't really care. I no longer own a VW and never will again. Thanks to those who were helpful with tips and comments when I owned my JSW. TDIClub is full of knowledgeable, mature, and helpful members. It really is one of the better car forums I have been on. auf wiedersehen!

This is a funny thread. We have a “Genuine ‘merican” ‘German Auto Aficionado’ who disliked his ‘Folks’ wagon because it does not stand up to the high standards formed while driving high-end German cars. This guy is a car trader, while many here are hoping to keep their TDI for many kilo-miles. My previous car was a ’96 civic bought new. Sold in 10 min on craigs list with 190k mi on the clock at the end of 2009. My ’10 JSW was a big step up on several fronts. Quieter, sturdier, nicer features/materials, torque. But cost ~ $13K more than the civic, gets similar mileage, and will be less reliable. At my current station in life, I would have been somewhat ashamed to replace the civic with another civic at the bottom of the Honda line. My JSW is paid. I could have spent $0-50K on my car without impact on my finances. Fact is I did not want to step backwards on fuel econ, did not want a prius, and wanted a commuter car that could haul the crew in comfort when the family dog would not be part of the crew. Didn’t see many other options. Mini is great commuter but not useful substitute for minivan on moderate roadtrips with kids. If I *only* used the car for commuting, I’d have gotten a Mini/Miata/MG/Triumph/Lotus/MR2/Fiero/Boxter. Alas, I have 2 young kids and didn’t want to be obligated to drive wife’s minivan on weekend trips to the Zoo. I’m hoping JSW will last like the Honda, but not counting on it. I look at my civic to JSW trade as a Casio to Seiko upgrade, while the OP is looking at his BMW to JSW trade as a Tag Heuer to Seiko downgrade. Could I afford several thousand on a watch...sure...just don't want to. Happy with my Casio/Hamilton, Birkenstocks/Clarks. I love my TDI. Just hope the HPFP doesn't barf.

Cheers.

Last edited:

1TDI4Me

TDI
'01 Jetta (sold, but missed) '12 Jetta TDI 6sp Malone and Rawtech, '13 Golf DSG (SOLD!)
This is a funny thread. We have a “Genuine ‘merican” ‘German Auto Aficionado’ who disliked his ‘Folks’ wagon because it does not stand up to the high standards formed while driving high-end German cars. This guy is a car trader, while many here are hoping to keep their TDI for many kilo-miles. My previous car was a ’96 civic bought new. Sold in 10 min on craigs list with 190k mi on the clock at the end of 2009. My ’10 JSW was a big step up on several fronts. Quieter, sturdier, nicer features/materials, torque. But cost ~ $13K more than the civic, gets similar mileage, and will be less reliable. At my current station in life, I would have been somewhat ashamed to replace the civic with another civic at the bottom of the Honda line. My JSW is paid. I could have spent $0-50K on my car without impact on my finances. Fact is I did not want to step backwards on fuel econ,........... I love my TDI. Just hope the HPFP doesn't barf.

Cheers.

Sounds like me. I'm in love with practicality. I could drive anything I want but only really want a little more than I 'need'. Just dumped the wife's '08 Civic with 85k. It was feeling and sounding like it was going to start costing money and reliability was comming into question. As fast as she racks up miles I didn't want to depreciate a Lexus or Merc. I love efficiency and diesels and she loves the Jetta. I, too, hope the HPFP doesn't puke. Maybe Delphi will come to the rescue and I can put a quarter million or better on it. I love getting uber miles on vehicles, even when I could change whenever I want. If there's no answer for the HPFP before the 100k warranty expires I'll be unloading it like last decade's fashion.

I feel for those who get caught on the wrong side of these cars when it goes bad, however. Those who stretch to own a car this nice should be able to enjoy it without the overhanging anxiety these issues cause.

tominmaggie

TDI
2010 JSW - traded it 12/31/11 for 2012 model
I have researched suitable alternatives to my '10 JSW and nothing comes close to the fuel economy, range between fills and flexibility. Thought a Mini Countryman All4 was going to be my next choice, but premium fuel, lackluster fuel economy and poor range between fills and I'm back to keeping my JSW. Please VWoA - do the right thing and resolve the HPFP time-bomb once and for all.

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
.... I look at my civic to JSW trade as a Casio to Seiko upgrade, while the OP is looking at his BMW to JSW trade as a Tag Heuer to Seiko downgrade. ...
Great analogy. It's all about perspective. I'm loving my TDI. Life's too short. Get what makes you happy and stop worrying.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
This is a funny thread. We have a “Genuine ‘merican” ‘German Auto Aficionado’ who disliked his ‘Folks’ wagon because it does not stand up to the high standards formed while driving high-end German cars. This guy is a car trader, while many here are hoping to keep their TDI for many kilo-miles. My previous car was a ’96 civic bought new. Sold in 10 min on craigs list with 190k mi on the clock at the end of 2009. My ’10 JSW was a big step up on several fronts. Quieter, sturdier, nicer features/materials, torque. But cost ~ $13K more than the civic, gets similar mileage, and will be less reliable. At my current station in life, I would have been somewhat ashamed to replace the civic with another civic at the bottom of the Honda line. My JSW is paid. I could have spent $0-50K on my car without impact on my finances. Fact is I did not want to step backwards on fuel econ, did not want a prius, and wanted a commuter car that could haul the crew in comfort when the family dog would not be part of the crew. Didn’t see many other options. Mini is great commuter but not useful substitute for minivan on moderate roadtrips with kids. If I *only* used the car for commuting, I’d have gotten a Mini/Miata/MG/Triumph/Lotus/MR2/Fiero/Boxter. Alas, I have 2 young kids and didn’t want to be obligated to drive wife’s minivan on weekend trips to the Zoo. I’m hoping JSW will last like the Honda, but not counting on it. I look at my civic to JSW trade as a Casio to Seiko upgrade, while the OP is looking at his BMW to JSW trade as a Tag Heuer to Seiko downgrade. Could I afford several thousand on a watch...sure...just don't want to. Happy with my Casio/Hamilton, Birkenstocks/Clarks. I love my TDI. Just hope the HPFP doesn't barf.

Cheers.

your comments are a thing of beauty....

Jayhawks

TDI
11 JSW TDI
... I look at my civic to JSW trade as a Casio to Seiko upgrade, while the OP is looking at his BMW to JSW trade as a Tag Heuer to Seiko downgrade. Could I afford several thousand on a watch...sure...just don't want to. Happy with my Casio/Hamilton, Birkenstocks/Clarks. I love my TDI. Just hope the HPFP doesn't barf.

Cheers.
I let my VW stand on it's own merits and never compared it to anything. I loved everything about it except it's reliability. I can afford an $80k car with little affect on my budget. But I chose the TDI for many of the same reasons you all did. Its fun to drive, practical, looks great, and is fuel efficient. I just don't have the patience to keep taking a new car to the shop. When the leaking fuel line was discovered on the sixth trip, that was it. I have since learned the leaking fuel line is another VW issue on top of the HPFP.
Some are going to get a TDI that goes 100k mi+ with few issues. A majority, I feel aren't.
Compare the thread topics of this forum and look at the Murano forum-- http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/83-2nd-gen-2009/
Yeah, I see lots of real issues with Nissans. Looks like which HID bulb to get and people who can't figure out their iPod controls are the huge issues.
A small number of first gen cars had transfer case and CVT issues that were quickly addressed by Nissan by redesign and generous extended warranties, unlike VW and their problems, other that, you'll find few real large scale problems.
You can't directly compare a Murano to a JSW TDI, in general, but from a reliability stand point, there is no comparison.

Last edited:

jimtunes

TDI
2010 JSW
bummer you got a bad one. My 2010 JSW (32,000 miles) is my sixth vw/audi car and every one of them has been nearly trouble free.

eparker202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible 6MT TDI
yeah it does stink. VW has done so well with most of their new cars too. Great engines, suspensions, interior styling/fit/finish, and exterior styling/fit/finish (except interior of new jetta). In my opinion there isnt much out their sub 30k that has stuff this nice. None of the jap cars can compare interiors or exterior fit and finish. And we all know american companies are only good for trucks. The only thing that compares is 30k plus vehicles (mostly german). My buddy bought a 2011 Acura MDX ($50k) last year and besides the seats, my golf has a nicer interior. Functions better, nicer interfaces and materials (limited to the areas that are viewed and used the most).