3.0L TDI chain drives

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I know its not the topic of this forum, but everyone here is hyper sensitive about chain drives and I for one am interested how the new 3L V6 TDI will perform.

I copied this link from other thread showing how the 3L V6 TDI is built and there is a section showing the chain drives being installed.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1792

Enjoy and post your thoughts here.

blaz

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
AfAIK it's not the chains that break but the tensioner. And if they've fixed that ... But even so, I'd rather have a simpler inline-4 (or 6) with gears.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
I must admit, I am intrigued by this engine. Its the only diesel available in the larger upmarket vw/audi family.

I am scared off though, with the passat chain experience.

HUVW

TDI
05 Passat Highline 4Motion
Considering the number of 3.0 L TDI engines running around here on this side of the pond I don't think there are any serious reliability issues. I would be curious to see what the inside of the 6.0 L V12 TDI Audi offers in the Q 7.:eek:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The biggest problem I see with this engine, is that VAG continues to use these wimpy little single-roller chains, and the overall complexity of the drive setup means it must use a lot of guides, tensioners, brackets, fasteners, sprockets, etc. It is just so much more complex than in needs to be, and with those little parts it frightens me.

The engine runs great, but I fear in 150k+ miles (maybe less, who knows) that chain drive is going to become a HUGE liability. And from the looks of it, it really does not look like VAG has made any strides in improving their previous attempts and chain drives which is why I have the reservations I do.

I mean, heck, even a POS $12k Sentra has a more modern style drive chain... :rolleyes:

oilhammer

TDI
But you know, in reality the people (at least in this country) that would purchase a T'reg or Q7 new are not likely to still have the vehicle after 100k miles anyways.

But the way the value of vehicles like that generally drop like a stone, the second hand owners may be in for a rude awakening. That chain drive is located on the rear of the engine, and to service requires engine removal.

The BHW chain fiasco will seem trivial in comparison. :cool:

Of course, if it were the only game in town, even I might consider purchase of one... but my reservations would remain. I'd still rather see that engine offered here in the Audi A4 or A6. Not an SUV guy myself.

oilhammer

TDI
I just watched that video.... I have seen the cutaways of these engines in person. Man it just drives home what a train wreck of Fail that cam drive looks like. Maybe I won't consider purchase of one after all.... :eek:

HUVW

TDI
I think VAG has probably had enough R&D poured into their "V" configuration TDI engines (2.5, , 2.7, 3.0, 3.3, 4.2, 5.0, 6.0 L) available in their consumer vehicles and the TDI engines used in their Le Mans vehicles over the years to limit and reduce the number of longevity issues.

I'm not saying issues won't arise but you can search numerous used car sites in Germany and see cars pushing 500K kilometers. Plus in Europe I'm sure you are aware that over 50% of the cars are diesel.

oilhammer

TDI
HUVW said:
I think VAG has probably had enough R&D poured into their "V" configuration TDI engines (2.5, , 2.7, 3.0, 3.3, 4.2, 5.0, 6.0 L) available in their consumer vehicles and the TDI engines used in their Le Mans vehicles over the years to limit and reduce the number of longevity issues.

Yeah, problem is those R&D folks are likely the same ones that signed off on the BHW chain drive, or the DMFs, or the power window regulators, or the glove box doors, or waterboxer cooling system gaskets, or the.....

So you see my reservations. I am Volkswagen's biggest fan, but they are not without their issues.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
oilhammer said:
But you know, in reality the people (at least in this country) that would purchase a T'reg or Q7 new are not likely to still have the vehicle after 100k miles anyways......
These are throw away engines. Seems like more manufacturers are leaning towards throw away engines. Even Mercedes has gone to throw away engines. One example is in the new Bluetecs. You can't even replace just the valve cover. You'll need a whole new cylinder head if the valve cover is damaged, because it is all integrated together as one structural unit. :eek:

HUVW

TDI
The "throw away" society is spreading. Traveling to Germany and other western European countries is almost like going back to the U.S. concerning consumer goods. Everything is made out of more and more plastic and isn't able to be repaired because replacement parts aren't available.

hysterwv

Veteran Member
Ugh, the chains. I wasn't even thinking about chains when I bought my BHW. I had an Audi A6 with a 4.2L gasser. Was going to buy a newer S4 with a 4.2L 340hp gasser but the timing chains stopped me (mileage was somewhat an issue as well).

Here are the timing chains on the S4's 4.2l. At around 100k miles, people start experiencing rough idling and performance begins to decrease. Doesn't appear to catastrophically fail, but generally the chain tensioners, and plastic guides fail. Have to pull the motor. $7700 in labor for about $400 in parts.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
That is a cluster f*ck, defined.

Yes, there is something special about a bmw straight six. It does not look like THAT.

Geez, come to think of it, is bmw the only major builder that is putting straight sixes in cars?? Best engine layout there is.

oilhammer

TDI
Ski in NC said:
Geez, come to think of it, is bmw the only major builder that is putting straight sixes in cars?? Best engine layout there is.
Daewoo, Toyota, GM, Cummins, Caterpillar, Volvo all currently manufacture inline 6 cylinder engines.

Yes, that V8 pic is pretty much the same setup as the new V6 TDI is...so you can see my reservations of long-term durability... makes that $800/every 100k mile timing belt seem like cake, doesn't it? :D