2nd Gen Tacoma BHW Swap

Braddman

TDI
2006 Audi A4 BHW 2.0 TDI, 2005 Toyota Tacoma BHW TDI Swap
I picked up a mint condition 2005 Toyota Tacoma back in October. The body has been repainted, the frame was replaced a year ago under warranty, new rear axle, leaf springs, control arms, brake lines, wheel bearing and the truck is on 35” tires with a 2” lift. 225,000km on the truck, the engine ran mint, a week after I bought the truck I decided the engine it doesn’t have that satisfying knock and fuel economy that a TDI has. After I bought the truck I did some research and found out no one makes an adapter kit for a 2005 or newer Tacoma. Well I guess I will be the first one to do it. I finally got around to posting this on the forum.

The patient to be operated on, a 2005 Toyota Tacoma with the 4.0L V6 with 6 speed manual bought for $15K.

1 week later, pulling the old Toyota 4.0L V6 1GR-FE gasoline engine out of the Tacoma. I sold the engine for $1900

Removing the 2.0L TDI engine code BHW out of the donor car which is a 2005 Passat with a bad torque converter purchased for $1000.

Now, building the adapter plate. I bought a 17” x 17” x 2” plate of 6061 aluminum, $500. I chose aluminum because it is way easier to machine then steel. I had to go with 2” thick plate because I needed to make a 2 piece flywheel adapter since the Toyota flywheel is an 8 bolt, the TDI is a 6 bolt and the bolt holes overlap. I’m also glad a went with a 2” thick plate because it gives me just enough clearance between the tandem pump and the firewall. I started by boring a hole so the adapter plate would be a slip fit on the Toyota 1GR-FE crank.

Adapter plate on the Toyota engine

This is one of the most important steps to building a custom adapter plate. The dowel holes need to be drilled at precisely the correct location relative to the crank . To do this I put 10mm pull dowels in the dowels holes on the engine, I then screwed M6 transfer screws into the dowels. Next I slide the plate on the crank and marked the dowel locations.

After drilling out and reaming the center punched dowels holes on my milling machine I put the transmission bell housing on the adapter plate. This allowed me to use transfer punches to mark the bolt hole locations for the transmission and scribe the bell housing outline on the adapter plate. The transmission was conveniently already in pieces at this time because I had to replace a broken 5/6 shift fork.

Bell housing holes drilled and tapped.

The hole I bored for the starter on milling machine. After 2 hours of cutting on a friends bandsaw I had a rough outline of the adapter plate.

I indicated the existing crank locating hole then bored the hole to a slip fit on the TDI crank.

This is a closeup of using pull dowels and transfer screws to transfer the dowels holes. I’m amazed that this technique actually worked, after drilling and reaming the dowel slip fit on my mill the whole adapter plate slide on the crank and dowels nicely. That is an accuracy of a couple thousands of an inch!

Drilling lots of holes to make an outline so I can jig saw the center out of the plate.

The TDI bolt holes drilled and counterbored. I used M12 transfer screws on the TDI engine to mark the bolt hole locations.

Trimming the adapter by plunging with an end mill every .05”. It worked, just took a while.

The pack man ghost shape is not just for a joke I needed the ghost legs so I could access the oil pan bolts without removing the adapter plate from the engine.

Machining the flywheel adapter on my lathe. The boss has been machined to be a slip fit on the Toyota flywheel.

After flipping around the adapter, I indicated the previously machined face. I used my 4 jaw chuck so I can move the plate around to indicate the bore.

Machining the other side ofthe flywheel adapter. On one of the plates the bore was machined to be a slip fit on the TDI crank and on the other plate the bore was a slip fit on the mating adapter plate to keep the flywheel centred on the crank.

The bell housing adapter plate bolted to the TDI.

Last edited:

Braddman

TDI

Drilling, tapping and counterboring the flywheel side adapter plate.

Flycutting the face of the bell housing adapter to set the correct starter protrusion.

Completed adapter kit only took 2 weeks to build, and $500 in aluminum, it’s a shame the beautiful kit will be hidden between the engine and transmission.

Anyone ever seen a TDI with the starter on the oil filter side. Thank you VW for casting clearance into the block so I have just enough room to mount the Toyota starter on this side.

Flywheel adapter bolted to the BHW.

The adapter kit and flywheel bolted on the the engine. You can also see how I will have to move the oil filter housing up and out of the way of the starter.

I had to use an oil pan from an ALH because I needed more clearance between the front differential and the oil pan. The ALH oil pan is about 3” shallower than the BHW oil pan. Even with the ALH oil pan I still had to raise the front of the engine up about 1” from level. It also turnout that the bellhousing bolt pattern on the ALH oil pan is different the the BHW oil pan so I had drill new holes in my adapter plate.

Replacing the timing belt and deleting the problematic balance shaft module.

I had to change the oil pickup from the 1.8T oil pickup that came with the balance shaft deleted kit to an ALH oil pickup because the 1.8T pickup sticks down too low. The longer oil pickup is from an ALH.

Windage tray installed.

Timing belt kit installed.

Drilling new holes for the ALH oil pan.

The 2 steel flanges tacked together with the oil filter housing sitting in place to clear the starter.

My first attempt at building an oil filter housing relocation manifold. I welded this manifold 3 times and it stilled leaked so i decided to built one out of billet aluminum.

$400 2 1/4” x 5 1/2” x 8 1/2” block of 6061 aluminum. I chopped the corner off that I didn’t need.

Braddman

TDI

I indicated the steel adapter by setting the angle on my angle plate, then rotating adapter. I scribed a line, then clamped the aluminum block in place up against the line.

Transfer punching and drilling holes for the filter housing.

I lined up the drill bit with the steel manifold by tilting and rotating the

manifold. I then mounted the aluminum block, spotted the holes with an endmill and drilled them out.

Drilling and tapping to relocate the oil pressure sensor so it clears the dipstick better.

Milling clearance for the starter.

Counterboring the mounting holes.

Indicating the steel manifold with a plate on top. I installed a bolt in each of the manifold into the t-slot so I had a repeatable location with the scribed lines and the angle set on the angle plate.

Milling the face after it was indicated.

Milling clearance so I can tighten this bolt with a ball end allen key.

Fly cutting the gasket surfaces.

Here you can see the slots I milled on the block mating surface. This is to replicate the porting channels that are on the oil filter housing.

The completed oil filter relocation manifold

Before and after mounting the manifold. In the picture I had just cut myself on a broken spring loaded fuel line clamp.

Facing the flywheel on my lathe.

Both adapters mounted on the TDI.

For my clutch I bought a stage 2 Underdog Racing Development clutch which is rated 440 ft/lbs.

For future reference the clutch hub failed on this friction disc after 22,000km. Here is my discussion thread about finding a replacement one https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/broken-clutch-hub.520546/.

The flywheel all mounted, I had to machine some material off of the face where the starter mounts to the bell housing adapter to get the right amount of starter gear engagement.

Last edited:

Braddman

TDI

Custom driver side mount. I used the BHW rubber motor mounts and mounted them to the original motor mount plates on the frame.

Custom passenger side motor mounts.

Clutch installed and ready to go into the truck.

A couple pictures of the the broken 5/6 gear shift fork from the Toyota R-A60. I also had to replace some of the 5 gear parts.

The transmission during reassembly.

The BHW engine bolted up the Toyota R-A60 6 speed transmission.

The BHW sitting inside the Tacoma, it fits pretty good with lots of room.

I removed the fuel filler neck and using a die grinder, ground the opening up to 1” diameter because gasoline filler nozzles are 7/8” and diesel fillers nozzles are 15/16”.

Heater core and coolant to oil cooler pipe shortened and modified.

Upper rad pipe with the outlet fitting flipped 90 degrees.

Braddman

TDI

Intercooler mounting brackets fabricated and mounted.

Intercooler and intake pipes all welded up and installed.

I used a K&N cold air intake for the Tacoma and built my own turbo intake pipe.

To roll beads on the intake pipes I machined a set of dies on the lathe. I then mounted the dies in the lathes and rotated the chuck by hand.

Custom 3” down pipe with brace to mount the pipe to the transmission. The exhaust is 304 stainless steel up to the tailpipe.

Down pipe mounted and bolted to flex joint and mid pipe.

Custom 3” mid pipe with exhaust hangers and 6” long flex joint. The intake a exhaust pipe cost me $1600.

I used an MBRP 3” tailpipe because it saved me some work but it turns out it is either 409 or aluminized steel. If it does rot out I will build one out of 304 stainless.

I had previously stripped the Toyota engine harness down to just the 4wd actuators, transmission sensors, fuel pump relay and alternator charging wires. Working on installing new split loom on the toyota harness and replacing all the brittle shielding on the TDI harness with new split loom.

When I started the engine for the first time I noticed the intake sounded really poppy which only got worse after taking the truck for a test drive. The truck was gutless and at full load around 3k sounded like a gasoline engine at the rev limiter. I took a look at the camshaft and the exhaust lifter for #3 cylinder had wore through the top of the lifter. I replaced the cam with a new kit from @Franko6 because it has upgraded cam bearings. Now the intake sounds normal.

Last edited:

Braddman

TDI

I have put 49,000km on the truck so far, and I’ve been getting around 9.3l/100km with the truck and it works awesome. Before October of 2021 I was running an immobilizer delete and stock BHW tune and the horsepower was decent. Now I have a stage 2 BHW tune from Malone, 175hp and 305lb/ft of torque this makes a big difference when hauling trailers over 3000lbs. I love the torque, in 1st gear low range at idle the engine has enough torque to crawl up 45° hills offroad. The build took me 4 1/2 months and about 1000 hours. The truck is pretty much done, would like to get cruise control operating and I should install an electric rad fan because when off-roading the engine can get too hot but the fan is not needed for normal on-road driving.

Last edited:

Braddman

TDI
To figure out the wiring I bought a yearly subscription for the Passat and Tacoma repair manuals on alldatadiy.com and printed all the powertrain management diagrams. I labeled all the important Tacoma connectors on the Passat diagrams and vice versa. I also highlighted the important and unnecessary wires. This gives me a great wiring diagram for troubleshooting electrical issues. I am using 2 separate OBD2 ports because I was afraid that if I joined both ports I might have communication issues since Toyota and VW use 2 different CAN Bus protocols.

When I went to test the 4WD, the lights where flashing indicating a system malfunction. I ended up having to permanently leave a cheap OBD2 reader plugged into the Toyota OBD2 port so the 4WD works. I think what is happening is the 4WD Control Module needs to see some sort of CAN Bus signal since I no longer have the Tacoma ECU in the truck.
I built a bracket to mount the BHW ECU in the same location as the original Tacoma ECU. I retained the original BHW engine harness to body connector mounting bracket and mounted it beside the ECU. I also added an additional connector to that mounting bracket for connections between the striped down Toyota harness and the BHW engine harness.

To get my temperature gauge working I had to develop my own conversion module with printed circuit board and program it because the Tacoma cluster requires a specific PWM signal to operate. The signal is supposed to come from the Toyota ECU but I no longer have that in my truck. The Tacoma Temp Gauge Converter reads the resistance on the instrument cluster part on the VW coolant temperature sensor and sends a PWM signal to the Tacoma cluster.

The Tacoma Temp Gauge Converters are available for purchase for $200 CAD if setup for a VW TDI BHW coolant temp sensor or $250 CAD if setup and shipped with a 1/8” NPT sensor with 10’ leads. Shipping is included in the price. You could use this converter with any engine swaps on 2005-2011 Tacoma, such as LS or 4BT swaps. This converter may work on Toyota FJ Cruisers or Tundras but I have not tested it.

I installed a CAN2DASH from Fast Forward Automobile to make my tachometer, glow plug and check engine lights functional. I used the traction control indicator light in the cluster with a piece of tape over the vehicle image so it just looks like 2 squiggly lines for the glow plug light. The signal from the TDI oil pressure switch had to be inverted using a Logic Converter from Fast Forward Automotive. I am also using a Scan Gauge to monitor my intake air temp, boost, charge voltage and coolant temp.

To make my cruise control operational I will be buying a 2 wire cruise control conversion module from Fast Forward Automotive after the product becomes available for purchase. The Tacoma cruise control buttons all operate on 2 wires and the TDI ECU uses individual wires for each button.

Last edited:

AGTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Nice build.
Impressive craftsmanship and solid looking truck. Perfect for running through the trails.

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI
Solid work, Braddman. That looks like a fun build/swap.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Could you share some of your wiring issues and results? I'm planning a BHW into an 03 Explorer Sport Trac. Did you utilize the passat harness and OBD2 port so you can access through VCDS? My plan is to have two ports

HoneyBadger

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5 spd, 03 jetta auto, future ALH Ranger
Great work! I wish I had thought to use a lathe as a bead roller. That's much nicer than my plier made beads. I'll have to do that next time...

9l/100km isn't much more than the truck got with the gas engine is it? My quick google search says that's about 26mpg. But I'm sure you have tons more power for that fuel economy.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
Awesome.... do a tacobox setup and it will crawl up any grade that it can get traction on.

Braddman

TDI
@50harleyrider, I edited post #7 to include more information about wiring my truck.

@HoneyBadger, the lathe worked great. According to Fuelly.com those trucks with the 4.0L V6 average 13.4L/100km (17.5mpg), so a fair bit of improved fuel economy.

@TurboABA, I would love to install a Tacobox but they are really expensive.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Terrific build. Stirs memories of my Mercedes OM606 into F150 build. You could probably sell the plans of your plate to TDadapters. I'm sure they would like to have it if they don't offer one yet. Keep on posting....

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
What thermostat housing did you use? On my 4runner conversion the bhw housing points way too close to the engine mount.

I was considering the alh housing as I want to ditch the quick disconnect houses anyway.

Was unsure if it would work with bhw accessors.

Braddman

TDI
I am using the BHW thermostat housing. I actually built the motor mounts before I even tried installing the thermostat housing. As luck had it I ended up with between 1/8” and 1/4” of clearance. The lower rad hose happens to also be the perfect shape I just cut the factory quick connect off of the rad side and connected a union between the Tacoma lower rad hose and the BHW one.
I’m not sure if the ALH thermostat housing will clear the alternator, it might but it will be really close. Are you able to modify your motor mount?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Not really, would cause clearance issues with shifter to move forward and fire wall clearance issues moved back.

I'm installing in an 87 4 runner with r150f.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI

The 1.8t thermostat housing looks promising.

Braddman

TDI
That thermostat housing looks pretty much the same as BEW one. The only problem you might run into is the thermostat housing might hit the BHW coolant hard pipe that runs to the back of the head because it takes a sharp 90° turn out of the block. You might have to change the hard pipe to one from a BEW, BRM or 1.8T.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you got the info, I'm going to order the 1.8t upgrade kit which includes quick disconnect to barbed hose conversion parts. It's cheap Chinese crap but for less than 50 shipped its worth it to mock up swaps to see what fits.

nezhinskyt1

TDI
2002 jetta alh
Nice build, I am doing one right now too. I was just wondering what you did with the fuel system? Did you leave the stock toyota pump and relay or did you rewire it completely?

Braddman

TDI
It is always great to see another person doing a TDI swap. Are you doing a swap in the same truck?

I am using the factory Toyota lift pump connected to a Holley carburetor dead head 4.5 to 9psi fuel pressure regulator adjusted to about 14psi. PART# 12-803 I am thinking I can adjust the regulator above 9psi because diesel fuel is thicker then gasoline and it seams to allows for higher pressure adjustment.

I had to use a dead head regulator because the Toyota uses a bucket style fuel pump assembly with an eductor connected off of the pump outlet port. The eductor is used to draw fuel into the bottom of the fuel bucket from the bottom of the fuel tank. This prevents the fuel pump from sucking in air when the fuel tank is low because the fuel bucket will always stay full of fuel.

Without a dead head regulator I would not have enough fuel pressure for the eductor to work properly. I also drilled the eductor port out larger to help the thicker fuel flow through the eductor faster. I used a 3/64” drill bit. I have put 24,000km on this setup with no fuel related issues.

The TDI ECU is connected to the original Toyota fuel pump relay. I also replaced the brown Toyota fuel pump relay which had normally open and closed contacts with one of the blue relays that only have normally open contacts. The purpose of the normally closed contacts is to run the fuel pump in a slow speed mode when the key is on until the engine starts running. The TDI does not need the this feature as the TDI ECU just runs the fuel pump for a few seconds when the key is turned on to build fuel pressure instead. The Toyota fuel pump resistor is located in front of the battery and could be removed if you like as it will no longer be necessary. I also chose to jumper over 2 of relays so the fuel pump had constant 12v.

nezhinskyt1

TDI
2002 jetta alh
I am swaping a 2008 crew cab tacoma, and I am putting in the 2.0l cr tdi from a 2009, I will make a write up later.

I was think of using a fass fuel system and just re use the Toyota lines but I first wanted to try and see if I can make the stock pump work

Braddman

TDI
That is awesome! I thought about using a common rail engine but I prefer the Pump Deuces because the engines rattle more and make more noise.

I thought your truck might have traction control but it looks like the Tacoma’s did not get that until 2009. I am not sure how the traction control would function with the engine ECU removed because my truck did not have traction control.

I don’t recommend using a Fass Fuel system unless you where going to try to fit a fuel pickup from a diesel 3/4 ton truck because otherwise you would not have a fuel eductor and fuel bucket. That would mean if your where driving on steep hills with minimal fuel, your fuel pump could suck in air.

Last edited: