2nd gear roll MT

Mr.TDI

TDI
15 GSW
So i was trolling my work parking lot for a spot and then realized when in 2nd the car will provide enough fuel to keep the car at 1000 rpm and you can just keep rolling at 10 mph even up hill. Haven't seen this discussed so i thought I'd share. I tried 1st gear it didn't work didn't try third

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
most cars will do this as the computer is trying to keep the engine from dying. is this really new to people?

Mr.TDI

TDI
15 GSW
I thought it was some type of convenience thing like this hill start assist. And if its the engine trying to keep it self from stalling then why would the engine not do it in 1st gear as well

waspie

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 pkg2!
I thought it was some type of convenience thing like this hill start assist. And if its the engine trying to keep it self from stalling then why would the engine not do it in 1st gear as well

That I couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is if you try this in just about any car made in that last many decades they should soldier on in at least 1st or 2nd gear mainly due to the car trying to maintain idle. Of course there will be an exception here or there but it's nothing to do with convenience.

Mr.TDI

TDI
15 GSW
I never realized this i tried it in higher gears it does work i also thought it would stall out

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The '15s actually do increase speed to 1000rpm when starting to slowly let out the clutch. My '01 TDI and previous '13 GTI did/do not do this. They simply keep the engine speed at normal idle RPM when doing this until you go to quick and stall it. I have read somewhere on here about this little "easter egg" and like it so far in the new car!

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
That I couldn't tell you. What I can tell you is if you try this in just about any car made in that last many decades they should soldier on in at least 1st or 2nd gear mainly due to the car trying to maintain idle. Of course there will be an exception here or there but it's nothing to do with convenience.
Maybe I'm use to older cars but the engine idle has never kept a car from stalling in my experience. I tried this 2nd gear thing tonight and the car will adjust the throttle to prevent the car from stalling. If you go up a hill it will actually accelerate up that hill. If it was just idling the car would either stall or not climb the hill. I didn't try any other gears but I will tomorrow. My brother has a 2007 A3 I'm going to have to ask him if his car does the same.

Mr.TDI

TDI
15 GSW
I tried 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th they all work i just wouldnt try 4th or 3rd at 10mph i was going faster for higher gears