2nd DSG UOA @ 52K

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
It seems fine the VIS 100 C did drop from 7.5 to 6.4 -Shearing may be the major reason VW calls for changing this fluid every 40k. i was going to go 50k this run but am having second thoughts. Wear is minimal and this time the improved filter ending in C went in. DSG fluid has many task - HEAT transfer - Pressure - Gear lubricant, to name a few, so I am wondering if pressing it out past 40k is a good idea. Maybe someone who better understand shear and whether the drop 7.5 to 6.4 is a issue will respond.

I can say the fluid and filter were much cleaner this change than the first change. Fluid looked like new, and the filter was still white. The first filter had become very dark.

Link for UOA of DSG figures below

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=147504 post #2

Last edited:

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Wear looks very good for a manual or auto trans. It would be good to also get an oxidation or total solids reading in order to better assess oil degradation.

I'd expect there is a Factor of Safety (F.S.) of 1.25-1.50 for the recommended change interval - this is typical for a well characterized system. This helps to account for variability in the severity of service, ie. towing and/or mountain driving vs simply cruising on the highway under light loads. You could probably go to a 50k-60k change interval under optimum conditions - I doubt the slight shearing you see would impact the wear rates & the TAN (total acid #), is essentially unchanged. I guess I'd look to a subjective evaluation of shift quality as your best indication of the fluid change interval if you weren't testing the oil.

With all the bad press the DSG is getting, these are very incouraging results that indicate the potential for long & trouble free component life, at least from the perspective of mechanical/chemical wear.

TS

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for your respnse TS - It seems Polaris does a different test every time i send in fluid - The VOA they did ISO Code and the second they did DRF and this last time they did a Particle Quant

The wear does seem very minimal and the clutch life should be fantastic, in my case anyway they will probably never need replaced. Copper is the particle to look for in the clutch Polaris tells me.

Unfortunate but it will be a long time before i UOA this trans again - probably 4 years. So maybe someone else will request oxidation. I thought that polaris told me they would not attempt total solids on a used fluid.

For al those reading this UOA understand that i am very easy on a trans - most of the time u can not feel it shift. I try never to be in a hurry. In my car I prefer to feel as though I am in my living room and not on a coaster ride. The car has never been over loaded, 3 adults and luggage probaly < 550 lb total and that only several times in 50k. I live in Central Florida the roads are flat and in A1 condition. I will push it up to 50k this time..

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
when u remove the fill tube the flow is high - i wait and as the pressure subsides a bit catch it. Trans was hot to touch

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
So You changed the trans fluid @20k for the first time (which was dirty and so on) and the 2nd time you changed @52k, right? Or did you just do an UOA with the same fluid?

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The second sample has 32,000 miles (~50,000 km), on it. Note that the levels of wear metals in the second sample are slightly lower, even though the oil was run 60% longer. I would expect to see the wear pattern stabilize by the time you reach 50,000 total miles on the transmission.

It would be useful to quantify how much organic material is being shed by the clutch packs, so a total insolubles test would be useful.

TS

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TS - All I know is Polaris said that sintered bronze clutch plates will show high in Copper and Silicone and Al, IIRC. I understand what u said and the next test I will call them and see if they will do this. It will be a long time so hopefully someone who is closer to change will do the test u rec. I believe that the trans is OK and I need not worry about it. The only thing is the exploding DMF. Its not that i mind so much shelling out 800 for the updated DMF its just that I live in country and my disabilities hurt me when it comes to dealing with such weights involed in removing the trans to replace the flywhell. My PD cam is not a issue as my records show the engine wearing just fine. If the flywhell is replaced then chances are I can go the 200,000 miles without a major repair. I may just have to hire someone to help me replace this flywheell. My fear is if it explodes it will damge the 5000 DSG.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
If it helps, you will notice that the fluid looks almost like new when you change it. Unlike like what happens to the AG4 and most other transmissions after a while. As most of you know it doesn't have a torque convertor in it. It simply has two clutches that are either applied or not applied. This is the reason it takes so long for the fluid temp to rise for checking. However the fluid temps in this trans are very close to the temp in the standard auto trans.

I believe that the service intervals will be longer in the future for this transmission.