@ 250K miles, what should I have done to go another 250K?

rich121

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI
Looking to spruce up my 2006 Golf.
I know the weak link is the cam, so is this something I should have upgraded?
Also wondering about Turbo/clutch/tuner upgrade from Kerma:
And a mechanic in the Oregon/Washington area to do the work... recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Looking to spruce up my 2006 Golf.
I know the weak link is the cam, so is this something I should have upgraded?
Also wondering about Turbo/clutch/tuner upgrade from Kerma:
And a mechanic in the Oregon/Washington area to do the work... recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
In my opinion, there are a lot better and cheaper options than kermas kit. There's really not much that comes with it for $2500.
For longevity, a Franko6 cam, a vnt17 turbo (even the stock one is fine for longevity) a light tune and I'd leave the egr stock.
Then maintain it, replace the timing belt every 80k miles as specified, use only 505.01 spec oil, maybe put cera-tec in it and do a fuel purge.
If you don't have a skid plate, put one of those on.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The early PDs with cam issues was often the result of people, especially dealers, using the wrong oil.
Either way I would not preemptively change it ( though they could be hard to find in 5 or ten years). Do inspect it from time to time. It's not a brake rotor, it should show little to no wear.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you want it to last, keep it stock. And all PD cams come from the same manufacturer these days, except for cast cams which may come from anywhere. But billet cams are all made by Estes in Turkey, regardless or packaging.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
Define “spruce up” as it means different things to different people.

My 2003 Jetta Wagon, I did an entire suspension/bushing refresh right around 250k and the car drove like new!! I stupidly sold it.

Interior update with better seats...suspension refresh, stereo upgrade, a monthly detail, power upgrades.....do give it the maintenance it deserves.

I just did the TB on my ex-2002 NB at 365k miles. Headed towards 450k now, PP520’s, S7, and tune. It gets all it needs, owner wants to take it till the odometer stops.

Your car looks beautiful, I’d say keep doing what you’re doing. But do something that will keep your attraction to it, instead of looking for greener pastures.