23N5 software update thread to address turbo failures

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Interesting. 23N7 is for a parasitic battery draw, according to that Vortex link. Not at all related to the turbocharger. That's reassuring.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
sounds like its done similar to a bios update on a PC, in the future model years it would be sweet if they could push these updates over the air via car-net way more cost effective.

I believe you're thinking about the Tesla model S. ;)

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Exorcism...

Ranger Pride: You might want to follow-up your conversation with your service department, based on the below information.

I just received confirmation from Autobahn VW in Ft. Worth, that the 23N7 is NOT turbo related. It is exactly what is quoted in the text below, from a post at Vortex re: 23N7 software update. I've asked the Vortex poster to divulge HIS source of this information, so that we have additional confirmation. I'm awaiting a call from Stohlman VW in No. VA for their input, as well.

This [23N7] update has been proactively released to prevent the battery from becoming discharged due to a

unique set of circumstances during the CAN bus diagnostic phase, leading to excessive parasitic draw
and a discharged battery while the vehicle is parked.

The battery can become discharged when the ECM “wakes-up” the CAN bus to do a diagnostic (~9

hours after vehicle shut-off). During that diagnostic time-window, if the door is opened or the ignition
is switched ON, the ECM goes into a mode that can continuously wake-up the CAN bus, leading to
excessive parasitic draw and a discharged battery while the vehicle is parked.

Sounds like this 23N7 update is performing an exorcism on a possessed vehicle...

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
23N5 is a software update for the turbo
23N7 is a software update for an electrical issue.

VeeDubTDI pointed out to me today that it is purely coincidental that the software update numbers are similar. That's what is confusing.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Perhaps coincidental isn't the right word, but yes... Unrelated.

1alfie

TDI
2015 Passat Highline
Prior to Christmas I started my Passat, let it warm up for about a minute and then put it in drive. It was a bitterly cold day and it became quite apparant that the car was over revving before changing gears. I called the dealer and learned that VW Canada had just notified dealers of a software upgrade to deal with the problem. The dealer had a service slot available that afternoon that I took advantage of. The problem was resolved.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
They are merely sequential updates. There was most likely a 23N6 that had bugs or issues and never made it out to dealers.

1alfie

TDI
2015 Passat Highline
I thought the car seemed to rev higher in colder weather but no problems changing gears. The day in question was the coldest day of the year thus far. Admit I didn't look at the tach so I can't be any more definitive about the rpm's. When the car warmed up a little more the problem went away. As I've had turbo problems with a previous Passat TDI, I immediately called the dealer and, after the software upgrade, the car is changing gears much better. Of note, the temperature dipped to -30C last Friday. I let the car warm up about two minutes or so before heading out. The DSG transmission worked fine despite the bitter cold temperatures.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I thought the car seemed to rev higher in colder weather but no problems changing gears. The day in question was the coldest day of the year thus far. Admit I didn't look at the tach so I can't be any more definitive about the rpm's. When the car warmed up a little more the problem went away. As I've had turbo problems with a previous Passat TDI, I immediately called the dealer and, after the software upgrade, the car is changing gears much better. Of note, the temperature dipped to -30C last Friday. I let the car warm up about two minutes or so before heading out. The DSG transmission worked fine despite the bitter cold temperatures.
I'm not sure this is actually a problem. The shift points are increased a bit when the engine is warming up in cold weather. But you said the dealer fixed it with a flash, so I dunno.

Locoelectrician

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Golf SEL Sportwagen, 2005 Jetta TDI, John Deere 355D
With newfound knowledge from this thread, I paid a little closer attention today when I left work. 15 degrees outside, started car and let it sit until water reached 50f. Software update was done 2 weeks ago. Pulled out and crept out of the driveway. Gently headed up the road with egt at about 650 to 700. Water hit 85 and egt jumped to 1200. I purposely let off a little (was probably at 20% throttle) and not long after, egt settled back down and stayed under 800. Weather has been very cold here but on my 50 mile journey twice a day I'm struggling to hit 35mpg. Used to be 38 to 41 in the winter but with as cold as it's been, I'm not getting too alarmed yet. Another interesting thing is when I leave for work in the morning, my car is plugged in for 3 hours prior and I can make it nearly all the way to work before it gets to 190 water temp, but when leaving work (no plugging in) it's at 206 within 5 miles. Which reminds me, since new this car ran at 202f unless doing a regen, now it likes to run at 206. (Most of this may mean nothing, just trying to report all I've seen).

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
I've always seen coolant temps around 206°, give or take some, in my '13. I've seen as high as 212° during a regen.

Busydiver

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
same here

With both upper and lower grills covered I see 207-210 cruise @ 65-70 and up to 214 in regen during cruise. The temp this morning was minus 4 degrees F.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Why are we talking about temperature? The software update does not normal affect engine temperature.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Because locoelectrician mentioned that he noticed a slightly higher coolant temperature after the update. Surely a coincidence. I informed what temps I saw prior and still see after the update. I think we all know the update won't have that kind of affect.

tyrntlzrdking

Banned
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
They are merely sequential updates. There was most likely a 23N6 that had bugs or issues and never made it out to dealers.
If true, I wonder why my dealer installed the 23N5 update to my 2013 on February 10th. Guess I need to go back and have the new and improved 23N7 installed now :confused:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
tyrntlzrdking: Wake up! You're not paying attention!!!!:D

The 23N7 is an update for the electrical system and has NOTHING IN COMMON WITH THE 23N5 update.

The 23N7 is for 2015 NMS Passats, not earlier model years.

tyrntlzrdking

Banned
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
tyrntlzrdking:

The 23N7 is an update for the electrical system and has NOTHING IN COMMON WITH THE 23N5 update.

The 23N7 is for 2015 NMS Passats, not earlier model years.
Try and work on your reading comprehension. :D
Was replying to LokiWolf.

Not interested in your opinions on anything.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
It is not an opinion, a computer patch, is a computer patch, they do different things. It is just like windows updates. Not all systems need all of them, and some are individual, and some depend on others.

From what I have been able to glean, they are sequentially numbered in the VW system. Some apply to certain cars and some do not. Pretty simple to understand.

23N5 - Flash to affect the WarmUp cycle on the 2012-2014 TDI NMS Passat
23N6 - Flash to prevent the CAN Bus from staying awake on some Audi's
23N7 - Flash to prevent the CAN Bus from staying awake on the 2015 NMS Passats.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
They'll always be sequential. If VW happens to release a new version of the software for the '12-'14 models, it will follow whichever proceeds it. For instance, the next one will be '23N8' no matter what specific year or year model vehicle it's designated for. And so on, the next one to come about for '12-'14 could be '23N15'. Blah, blah.

That's a reiteration of what Loki just said. Lol.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
They'll always be sequential. If VW happens to release a new version of the software for the '12-'14 models, it will follow whichever proceeds it. For instance, the next one will be '23N8' no matter what specific year or year model vehicle it's designated for. And so on, the next one to come about for '12-'14 could be '23N15'. Blah, blah.

That's a reiteration of what Loki just said. Lol.

Thanks!

Technically 23N15 would be 23P5 most likely. Assuming they skip O because it looks like Zero to prevent confusion. Just saying....

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
I guess the suffix only counts so high before they change the third letter/digit to its successor? I know you understood where I was going with my explanation.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Got my update on Friday. To me, it seems the blow torch effect isn't as long. Then again it's been -24C and I have been plugging my car in more.