210hp/800FtPounds at the rear wheels!!

Jeff TDI

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Silver
Pretty neat, Gary!

Where can we see pictures of the rear differential and the transmission exploding from under the truck due to the torque?

v/r Jeff

hankthetank

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '98 Jetta, '02 Golf
That is something !!!! But?!?!?! You should also check out this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The person whom I purchased my car from had his truck done and now also buys used to do this to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.americanturbo.com/dodge/Work.htm

------------------
1998 Jetta TDI
1985 Mercedes 300d(turbo)(rolled)
1985 Jetta GL (sold)
1983 Westfalia(Burned-up)
1981 Rabbit LS Diesel(ex-sold)
1973 SuperBeetle 1700cc/dual Webers (sold)
member since 6/6/99

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
The engine used in the 1998.5-2000 Dodge trucks is the Cummins ISB engine and it is an in-line 6 (24 valves). I have a 1989 Dodge with the older 12 valve B5.9 Cummins engine. I have "enhanced" it to an estimated 230hp and 600 ft-lbs. I have not had it dyno'd but the figures are based on my calculation of the torque required to accelerate the truck from 40 to 60 mph in a hand timed run.

If anyone is interested...there's a "club" for Dodge/Cummins owners called the "Turbo Diesel Register". Their web site is located at http://www.turbodieselregister.com. They have a discussion forum on the site whose messages can be read but you have to be a TDR member to post messages. One of the TDI members, Brian Kmetz, wrote an interesting article on diesel fuel in the most recent issue of the TDR magazine.

<A HREF="http://www.turbodieselregister.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.turbodieselregister.com </A>

[This message has been edited by wxman (edited December 04, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by wxman (edited December 04, 1999).]

RED RIDER 1

Gentleman,

I,m a proud owner of a 99 dodge 24 valve, and am just as interested in uprating it as my 99.5 NJ TDI. I have spent a great deal of time researching what is the best performance approach. So far the best thing I have found is the Gale Banks set-up http://www.bankspower.com

The problem with this box is it only adds more fuel. The numbers look great but the exhaust temp. is way up there. The other problem exist with getting the torque to the wheels. The sticks will only take 600 ft/lbs long term and the automatics can't take anything over 500 ft/lbs. Heck the automatics are going away with stock power if you use the power constantly. Banks has an uprate kit that bumps the power significantly, but actually changes the power curve. They even suggest a 5% increase in economy given you do not alter your driving habbits.

Hey to bring this thing back to TDI info, I have asked Banks Engineering to do something for the TDI. They said that at this time they were not planning on entering this market.
I figure if everyone from this page would call and or e-mail these guys they might see the need and fill it.

Red Rider 1

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Red Rider 1 brings up a good point about the diesel pick-up market. The limit on performance is what the drive train can handle. The engines are detuned so the trannies & rear ends will last. Dodge was even suing some after market diesel tuners because of concerns with claims about modifications not effecting engine & drivetrain warranties.

This is why I'm very impressed what GM is doing with the new GM/Izuzu diesel and Allison drivetrain combo that is coming out soon. It will raise the bar in diesel pick-up truck performance because the drivetrain is not the limiting factor anymore. I'm hoping this will be the next pick-up truck/engine combo we get at work. All the pick-up trucks now are GM with the 6.5 IDI turbo motor. Not a bad engine, just a loud engine. It will smoke a TDI in a drag race in more ways than one.

Brian, 97 Passat TDI
bpkmetz@crtelco.com

M

mickey

Both the Powerstroke and the Cummins can easily be boosted to Hoover Dam power levels. But you guys are right: The rest of the drivetrain limits what you can get away with. A cousin of mine is a Powerstroke mechanic (also Cummins certified) and he's seen several cases of late model Fords with their drivelines twisted into pretzels by those monsters. Be careful! Those engines are originally intended for much heavier trucks and they're easily capable of destroying your expensive new toy! They're like playing catch with a live grenade when you crank 'em up.

-mickey

DavidTD

Red Rider,

I have a 98 24v 3500 and I have added a Van Aaken module that plugs into the injector pump. This is a CPC connector like the one offered for the TDI. Love the power, economy unloaded is about the same, maybe a little better, and loaded it is about 1-2 mpg better.

VA works well with either auto or manual.

275hp injectors and 4" exhaust are next for me!!

------------------
David
1998 Dodge 3500 24v Cummins 330hp/670tq 4x4, 5 speed, 4:10