2023 TDIfest/GTG discussion thread

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Actually I've been told Jefferson City Missouri is the geographic center of the US. And actually not a bad place.

Reactions: Ton

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Belle Fourche S.D. would claim otherwise.

center of nation.jpg

Location is moot until, and unless, PEOPLE put together a plan.

Last edited:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I should have written geographic center of the lower 48.

And I'm for going to Michigan anytime.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Actually I've been told Jefferson City Missouri is the geographic center of the US. And actually not a bad place.
I wish I had the time to organize one... Jefferson city is a 30 minute drive for me.
Though it seems to be a contested location... Lebanon Kansas says they're the geological center of the lower 48...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Maybe Jefferson City just wanted to claim it is in the center. It's a big railroad junction point, I do know that. And with a 2020 population of 178, Lebanon, Kansas might be short of services for a get together .

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Just bring your own TP

Lug_Nut

TDI
Very true, that being said, Michigan is the undisputed center of the universe
I agree that Michigan is nothing but a supermassive black hole.

If one accepts universal expansion, that everything is moving away from everything, as valid, and also accepts that Michigan IS the undisputed center of the universe, then it follows that everything is going AWAY from Michigan.

or both? :alien:

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I agree that Michigan is nothing but a supermassive black hole.

If one accepts universal expansion, that everything is moving away from everything, as valid, and also accepts that Michigan IS the undisputed center of the universe, then it follows that everything is going AWAY from Michigan.

or both? :alien:
🤔 from my angle it looks like they’re all coming this way.... but I like your version better

jlav0330

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
The thought of being in Lebanon, KS is a good in order for everyone to have a chance to show up, but true that it's not feasible with how small of a town it is. However, we can go to a bigger town not too far, like Wichita, and meet there. Thoughts?

DieselBunny

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT LP7W
The thought of being in Lebanon, KS is a good in order for everyone to have a chance to show up, but true that it's not feasible with how small of a town it is. However, we can go to a bigger town not too far, like Wichita, and meet there. Thoughts?
Never been to Kansas before. Could be fun. What's there to do in Wichita? Anything vw related there?

thecrusher773

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5 Speed Beetle-sold, 2010 Jetta-sold 2014 Beetle
Yeah nothing in Liberal, KS for sure. The only thing I would worry about in Wichita is cars being broke into it's kind of rough I believe. Kansas City, OKC, Tulsa all in the same geographic area. Depending on when it will be super hot at all of them in the summer.

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
so
I figured I'd preemptively start yet another thread, since there's only a couple of months left in 2022.

Someone suggested an East and West TDIfest. I'm all for something regional, even if it's semi-informal. I know for some of us, like myself, I acquired MORE TDIs since dieselgate (mom has a BEW, CJAA, and EA288 TDI, and I currently own 5 ALHs, a BRM and a CJAA), and always enjoy meeting other TDI owners.
sounds like we need to come to your place given your collection....

BMESeth

TDI
2011 VW Jetta
My two cents, but I'm surprised that we don't just host a bunch of smaller gatherings local to where people are. Midwest, East Coast, and West Coast.

I, for one, would happily boot my way to GA/FL or NY/NJ for a meet just as readily, especially with how easy I-95 is.

Lug_Nut

TDI
How convenient! Get some other like-minded enthusiasts together, review some of the tips, advice, pitfall avoidance, and guides from organizers of previous TDI Fests, and plan how you might want to set-up a fest with your own flavor to incorporate your first-hand knowledge of your area.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
My two cents, but I'm surprised that we don't just host a bunch of smaller gatherings local to where people are. Midwest, East Coast, and West Coast.

I, for one, would happily boot my way to GA/FL or NY/NJ for a meet just as readily, especially with how easy I-95 is.
I organized 22 GTG in NorCal over 11 years which was great while it lasted, unfortunately we had to take down the related threads. We would get about 30 cars even more per GTG to show up and people drove in from San Diego, Portland and I believe once even from Seattle and Phoenix. Great food, great camaraderie and more.

I think a TdiFest on the national level would be great and I am willing to help even though it would be remote.
How about at VW NA Headquarters? It could be great PR for VW and a logical place where to have a national event. Perhaps VW NA could also help secure hotels at reduced cost and more.

Last edited:

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
I organized 22 GTG in NorCal over 11 years which was great while it lasted, unfortunately we had to take down the related threads. We would get about 30 cars even more per GTG to show up and people drove in from San Diego, Portland and I believe once even from Seattle and Phoenix. Great food, great camaraderie and more.

I think a TdiFest on the national level would be great and I am willing to help even though it would be remote.
How about at VW NA Headquarters? It could be great PR for VW and a logical place where to have a national event. Perhaps VW NA could also help secure hotels at reduced cost and more.
I forget the year but there was a national get together in northern Virginia and we drove by the VW headquarters . Maybe 2010 or there abouts.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
The 2009 TDIFest was in DC, but I don't recall wthether the VW Headquarters drive-past was on the schedule or not.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Didn't remember that being on the list. I must have been participating in something else (I was at the 09 Fest) that was going concurrently...

Lug_Nut

TDI
I don't recall that it was. I believe that year's fest organizers had contacted VWoA about the possibility, but the reaction was such that it wasn't feasible.
I wasn't surprised. VW corporate might be concerned about appearing to condone third party chip tuners and aftermarket parts suppliers.
Now add in "dieselgate" and zero North American diesels. NOW how much VWoA support might be offered?

smketrny

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDi, 2015 Passat TDi
I recall posting in a few other pages on a TDiFest anywhere along Route 66 due to its unique history. Then again, maybe somewhere in Canada, with the currency exchange rate favorable for those south of the border. Hell, even something on both sides of the border might keep everyone happy. Places like Thunder Bay, Niagara Falls/Buffalo/Toronto area, International Falls, Abbottsford/Vancouver for a few examples. Long drive for many, short drive for some. I drove 66 in 2016 and it was the best trip of my life, IMO. FWIW, I also did TCH in 2 segments and Pacific Coast Highway. But 66 and its history gives a few spots that might interest many, and no doubt so does the wide expanse of Canada. IMO, Ive never been to International Falls, so not aware of the hotel/motel/RV park situation. JMO on a few ideas. Stay safe, stay well.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Yeah we could definitely have more than one of these...
And naturally I’m partial to Canada 😉 but I’m way to far from the populated areas anyway so I’d still have to drive 😂

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Never been to one. Would love to go. Where’s the geographic center of Tdi members? Weighted by pop density ofc.

jlav0330

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I recall posting in a few other pages on a TDiFest anywhere along Route 66 due to its unique history. Then again, maybe somewhere in Canada, with the currency exchange rate favorable for those south of the border. Hell, even something on both sides of the border might keep everyone happy. Places like Thunder Bay, Niagara Falls/Buffalo/Toronto area, International Falls, Abbottsford/Vancouver for a few examples. Long drive for many, short drive for some. I drove 66 in 2016 and it was the best trip of my life, IMO. FWIW, I also did TCH in 2 segments and Pacific Coast Highway. But 66 and its history gives a few spots that might interest many, and no doubt so does the wide expanse of Canada. IMO, Ive never been to International Falls, so not aware of the hotel/motel/RV park situation. JMO on a few ideas. Stay safe, stay well.
Tulsa, OK would be the place to go then. Very centrally located along the old Route 66.