2022 TDIfest Discussion Thread

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I can think of several venues in my area that could work well. I've never been to a TDI fest, but down here near the lake of the Ozarks would be great for summer fun, a lot of good food in the area, lots of lodging and camping areas, and etc.
There's a guy locally that put on a couple of VW fests in the past. Maybe at least we should do a gtg down in this area sometime.
I'm just thinking out loud a bit there.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Well, with things going on over here, Im surprised south park hasnt made more episodes LOL. Whenever we get released from this crazy country, Im hoping to be able to goto one of these.
I think they had an episode that was about the Canada quarantine. One of my favorites is the back and forth dialogue "You're not my friend, guy." "You're not my guy, buddy." "You're not my buddy, friend." "You're not my friend, guy." Or another scene where a grown up Ike Broflowski is talking to an airline CSR, and she says "Oh, I'm sorry, I don't speak Canadian. Let me get someone to help you," where all that changes is the use of buddy, guy, friend, and eh.

FluffySmooth

TDI
2003 Alaska Green Jetta ALH TDI sedan 180,000 miles 02J 5spd transmission (aftermarket injectors, unsure of brand)
Reminds me of Southern Worthersee too. A TDI fest would be awesome again

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Even if it's something small-ish, or regional, I think we should all make something happen. I know Kurt up in Michigan has yearly GTG's (don't remmeber his username without searchin in the forums). Maybe we could meet up at @Franko6 or @Mozambiquer 's places? Just ideas, anyways.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Not sure I'm in with being 'chosen'. My shop is not much of a meeting spot. It's off the beaten path, no close hotel/ motels.

As for Kirk Blackmore (TDIClub handle, r90sKirk) , He's in Cedarville, Michigan, North of Grand Rapids by about 30 miles. I have enjoyed a few visits there. Last time I went was October 2017 and the Friday 13th, the day before Kirk's event went poorly for me, as I spent 4 days in the hospital after trying to kill myself on a 4-wheeler. I haven't been back since, but not because of the wreck. One thing or another, and the State went bonkers over Covid... So maybe this year?

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Even if it's something small-ish, or regional, I think we should all make something happen. I know Kurt up in Michigan has yearly GTG's (don't remmeber his username without searchin in the forums). Maybe we could meet up at @Franko6 or @Mozambiquer 's places? Just ideas, anyways.
I also don't have a good place myself, but I should talk to the other guy that's local. He's not only a TDI guy, does gassers too, and he's put on a few VW events in the past.
Not sure if he's a member here or not.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Not sure I'm in with being 'chosen'. My shop is not much of a meeting spot. It's off the beaten path, no close hotel/ motels.

As for Kirk Blackmore (TDIClub handle, r90sKirk) , He's in Cedarville, Michigan, North of Grand Rapids by about 30 miles. I have enjoyed a few visits there. Last time I went was October 2017 and the Friday 13th, the day before Kirk's event went poorly for me, as I spent 4 days in the hospital after trying to kill myself on a 4-wheeler. I haven't been back since, but not because of the wreck. One thing or another, and the State went bonkers over Covid... So maybe this year?
Yeah, of which I was supposed to have meet you in 2017, and not last month, as I was AT that GTG.

I was only throwing out names, but nothing set in stone or either of y'all "chosen" per se. Hell, even if we have something in late summer at @r90sKirk 's, and he's willing to host, I'm down.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I think I'm going to have to scratch that itching by going to the SAAB owner's convention in my Sonett.
It's 2k miles each way, the car is 53 years old, it had 65 gross (not net) hp when new, I'll be at 5k feet altitude so that cuts even more power.
My absence from work is certain, my registration is in, campground reservations confirmed, the tent trailer is still being lightened.
I'm not on the road yet, but I have three more months to prepare.
.... or come to my senses.

Yeah, as if that'll happen.

Yetii

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDi Passat
If there is a 2022 GTG, I’m definitely interested. Being that I recently acquired a TDi, it would be fun! Subscribing to this thread to stay updated.

Nozzleman

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Ford Ranger ALH
I can think of several venues in my area that could work well. I've never been to a TDI fest, but down here near the lake of the Ozarks would be great for summer fun, a lot of good food in the area, lots of lodging and camping areas, and etc.
There's a guy locally that put on a couple of VW fests in the past. Maybe at least we should do a gtg down in this area sometime.
I'm just thinking out loud a bit there.
Subscribed. We go to a truck show in Branson. The good thing is there is something for the wife and kids to do. Meeting up at the go-kart track to swap some paint is an added bonus.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
I’m always down for a car show and a TDI show would be fun. Ibe probably made more enemies than friends tho lol shoot from the hip they said. Bird shot I did…my bad lol

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Lots of talk going on here, but what makes a TDIFest happen are folks who are willing to to do the work to plan and organize one. You need to find an appropriate venue and arrange lodging, as well as plan activities. It's a LOT of work, and it was the same people doing it year after year. They just got burned out...

Lenny_cee

TDI
2012 Golf, 2012 Touareg, 1996 Passat Wagon
We should definitely make this a reality at least a few more times before the electric craze makes us all go into hiding!

I vote a TDIfest East and West!

Stromaluski

Veteran Member
TDI
'67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '10 Cup Edition
The amount of work involved could be reduced significantly if it gets done in conjunction with an existing show. With approval to tag on from the show organizer, obviously.

Lug_Nut

TDI
That's not a bad thought. Carlisle PA has an import show. A PA based Saab club has one of their big to-dos during that overall show.

Attention Car Clubs – Compete to See Who Is the Largest
Will Your Club Measure Up? Take the Club Challenge

The Carlisle Import & Performance Nationals has been home to many car clubs with some using the event as the host to their regional or national meets. Awards are presented to the three (3) largest official clubs (based on the number of registered show vehicles). Clubs that register a minimum of 25 vehicles are eligible to receive the use of a 20’ X 20’ tent for the weekend at no charge. These tents make a great location for the club headquarters and the ideal place to hang out and socialize. To get your club registered as an official club for Import & Performance Nationals, you must complete an application form.

I'd have to believe there are other venues in other regions with similar arrangements.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Question: is there some sort of "rule" that TDIFest must involve workshops, learning experiences etc? I ask because a simple TDIFest "car show" would likely be easier to plan than an entire 3 day event. Sort of like a GTG, but on a larger scale. Just a thought...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's not a bad thought. Carlisle PA has an import show. A PA based Saab club has one of their big to-dos during that overall show.

Attention Car Clubs – Compete to See Who Is the Largest
Will Your Club Measure Up? Take the Club Challenge

The Carlisle Import & Performance Nationals has been home to many car clubs with some using the event as the host to their regional or national meets. Awards are presented to the three (3) largest official clubs (based on the number of registered show vehicles). Clubs that register a minimum of 25 vehicles are eligible to receive the use of a 20’ X 20’ tent for the weekend at no charge. These tents make a great location for the club headquarters and the ideal place to hang out and socialize. To get your club registered as an official club for Import & Performance Nationals, you must complete an application form.

I'd have to believe there are other venues in other regions with similar arrangements.
This is an interesting idea. And I've never been to the Carslile show.

KHCRTDI

TDI
2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Kirk said he was planning on a GTG this year! Woohoo! Post 103

Lug_Nut

TDI
Not quite withdrawal symptoms, but I've been wanting to attend a 'fest for years.
I think I'm going to have to scratch that itching by going to the SAAB owner's convention in my Sonett.
It's 2k miles each way, the car is 53 years old, it had 65 gross (not net) hp when new, I'll be at 5k feet altitude so that cuts even more power.
I'm not on the road yet, but I have three more months to prepare.
.... or come to my senses.
Yeah, as if that'll happen.
I made it there to Sturgis, SD, and made it back. The trip was 4,441 miles, I used gasoline at about a 28.8 mpg rate. Four days to get there, four at the event, three to get back. Again I'm saying 'never again', but I will forget all about that by next year.
Oh, never got to 5k feet altitude, saw 4,770 feet, but not 5k. Still, that 1500 cc V4 was gasping at anything over 2500 feet.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Another Labo(u)r Day weekend, another weekend not at a TDI fest. :cry:
Miss you all