2021 TDIFest Discusion Thread

spyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW GLS NB TDI (UTE)
Now that I'm not under Uncle Sam's thumb any longer, I'd love to drive up for a TDI Fest. It may be the Sportwagen, unless I push things into gear on my Beetle UTE build.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Dang, and I thought I was the only one getting old. I'm also on the 71st trip around the Sun.
I just ordered over 2 grand in parts to "build" a new transmission for my '02 ALH to keep pushing the 84 Vanagon. If we can't cross the border north next summer, we'll be heading to many points west. But, I'd like to hit New England one more time.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
2021 Fest and NAIAS in June (or October) would be nice, but in years past about now we'd be thinking about that January run to Detroit for the show. It was always an adventure. Here's a shot from 2013 when cevans, his wife, and I all drove out in IBW. Upstate NY scenery.

It's a long ride when you're not comfortable going much faster than 60 MPH.

Last edited:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I rode out with Lawson and Jason that year in their 2012 Passat SE TDI with bad tires.....Scared me to death....they bought new tires before we came back....

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
This morning Terry Frost from Frostheater sent me this photo of TDIParts at the 2005 Lake Mills WI Fest:

That's Dan, founder of TDIParts, before Corey and I got involved in the business.

I love Wisconsin, too. I tell people the two states I'd be willing to live in outside New England are Michigan and Wisconsin. My family in California doesn't understand this at all.
I remember that! My first TDI Fest!! Ernie Rogers drove from Oregon/Utah on just over 1 tank of fuel in his beetle.

Recognizing the herculean effort required for a 3 day TDIFest (and very appreciative of those who did this in the past), I'd think that regional one day GTG's would be the way to go. Can be whatever the host wants them to be - Wrenching, a track day, cruise day, car show, comradery, etc.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I have 3 now.......but one 1 is a VW TDI and I tend to drive my Jeep Eco Diesel
I still might have everyone beat. 5 TDIs, 2 diesel trucks, 2 diesel tractors and 2 diesel generators. Nothing here over 20HP is gasoline powered. :)

Me, too. Can't have too many. :D
Uhh... I beg to differ. I currently have 5 + a 2001 Jetta TDI skeleton (just the shell at this point), and my mother has 3. That's not including the aforementioned other diesels.

Let's hope so. I'd like to attend another Fest before I get too old to drive. :D

I'd need another TDI though. Been off the diesel bandwagon for a while now, but always looking for that "cherry" ALH to come my way.
I actually flew out to California last week to pick up that "cherry" ALH. 2003 Golf, Indigo Blue like my 2004 BEW and my 2003 Jetta sedan. The seller knocked off $300 since I flew out there. I gotta do a 02J swap, which I'll be doing this week, but at least I'll finally have an ALH Golf instead of a BEW Golf (the BEW was a good run, but I'm kinda over it now). I truly got lucky, since this car was in great shape and except for the sunroof, had all the options I wanted.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I rode out with Lawson and Jason that year in their 2012 Passat SE TDI with bad tires.....Scared me to death....they bought new tires before we came back....
Ya, I'll never buy Hankook tires after experiencing the lousy ones VW sold the Passats with.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Thought about this several times over the weekend but didn't post: This past weekend (in conjunction with MLK Day) would have been the one where we went to NAIAS in the past. It seemed odd to not be making that trip, and to know that I won't have that compelling reason to drive to Michigan in January in the future. I happened to see Peter V over the weekend, and he and I drove out there together many times. We were remembering how much we enjoyed those trips despite the weather adversity. Group dinner the night before (I particularly liked that pub in downtown Ypsi), hockey kids in the hotel, breakfast at the Bomber, and fun times at the show and the gathering after. Now it's in the past. Hopefully we'll be able to build a new tradition in October, once we get to our new normal.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Thought about this several times over the weekend but didn't post: This past weekend (in conjunction with MLK Day) would have been the one where we went to NAIAS in the past. It seemed odd to not be making that trip, and to know that I won't have that compelling reason to drive to Michigan in January in the future. I happened to see Peter V over the weekend, and he and I drove out there together many times. We were remembering how much we enjoyed those trips despite the weather adversity. Group dinner the night before (I particularly liked that pub in downtown Ypsi), hockey kids in the hotel, breakfast at the Bomber, and fun times at the show and the gathering after. Now it's in the past. Hopefully we'll be able to build a new tradition in October, once we get to our new normal.
would love to see this! miss it terribly......I heard the Bomber is shut down at this time but hoping to reopen soon the got some money from Bar stool sports

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Looks like NAIAS 2021 is cancelled - replaced by outdoor show in Pontiac, MI slated for September 21-26.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...-naias-host-outdoor-pontiac-event/6628617002/

So push a TDI event out to 2022 now or figure out an alternative for 2021?
Hopefully once the vaccine is deployed to the bulk of the population, COVID becomes an afterthought in 2022, and we can plan something then, also depending on how much interest we still have. I still regret not going to the GTG in 2016...

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Hopefully once the vaccine is deployed to the bulk of the population, COVID becomes an afterthought in 2022, and we can plan something then, also depending on how much interest we still have. I still regret not going to the GTG in 2016...
I also regret not going to the Fest in 2016. We had just got back from a long road trip (31 days) in early August.
A few years ago, I thought these days would never end (annual Fests).

I3arruka

TDI
Titan - 2015 VW Golf TDI
I'd be down to meet, it's been a while since I've been at a meet for any car (even w/o Covid)

GolfCarting

TDI
2001 Golf gls
Would anyone be interested in having a tdi fest or a gtg at the very least sometime this fall in southeast Missouri more specifically Sikeston MO I can do all the event organization myself we could have it at the rodeo grounds here. The jaycee bootheel rodeo which was the highest paying rodeo event in th us at one time and might still be for all I know lol not a rodeo kinda guy but it is held there every year it is always in August on Wensday Thursday Friday Saturday and each night they have a concert at the end of the night but the rest of the year they rent it out for car shows, corporate events, carnivals and whatever else people want and they provide the insurance, event security, professional stage with lights and sound equipment if there was enough interest i could get it set up and maybe even have a concert as part of the event to help attract some of these newbies that have just bought this that where part of the buyback so maybe they will see how valuable it is to be a part of this club when you own a vw tdi just let me know

GolfCarting

TDI
2001 Golf gls
Would anyone be interested in having a tdi fest or a gtg at the very least sometime this fall in southeast Missouri more specifically Sikeston MO I can do all the event organization myself we could have it at the rodeo grounds here. The jaycee bootheel rodeo which was the highest paying rodeo event in th us at one time and might still be for all I know lol not a rodeo kinda guy but it is held there every year it is always in August on Wensday Thursday Friday Saturday and each night they have a concert at the end of the night but the rest of the year they rent it out for car shows, corporate events, carnivals and whatever else people want and they provide the insurance, event security, professional stage with lights and sound equipment if there was enough interest i could get it set up and maybe even have a concert as part of the event to help attract some of these newbies that have just bought this that where part of the buyback so maybe they will see how valuable it is to be a part of this club when you own a vw tdi just let me know
I am also not a new member i have been a member for years now idk why it has new member by my name

ITSPREZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
I am also not a new member i have been a member for years now idk why it has new member by my name
I would attend about any location in Missouri.

I would love to see life long TDI’ers I have never met but read many post from and have parts (CCV) from and work done (heads) of OldNavy and Frank06. Both are in that region and could be valuable resources of knowledge for putting together a GTG/Fest.

I helped put the 2008 Fest together in Mason Ohio outside of Cincinnatti Ohio and can tell you it is not a 1 man job unless that is your only job.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
GolfCarting .......................... and, we could eat at Lambert's "The only Home of Throwed Rolls" (Except, I think they opened a restaurant at Orange Beach, Alabama).

I'm in ............

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
i have been waiting on someone to bring this up for 2021 or 2022, i would love to have something like this organized. i have fell in love with this community and these cars, i would love to meet some of the amazing people that have been helping us for 20+ years!

fjdiesel

TDI
76 fj40 w/05 LIberty CRD 2.8L diesel
I would drive my conversion if something was put together!! :cool: