2021 Suburban Diesel?

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
We were looking for another suburban and when we saw the news about the new Suburban diesel option I got a little excited. From what I understand it’s a newish engine but one they’ve used for a year or two in their pickups? I was also a bit surprised to see it’s a 3.0L straight 6? I am looking for some input/facts/opinions about this new engine/setup.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They run very well, but get your money out. On the pickups, just like with Ford, GM forces you into a higher trim level and giant cabs/tiny beds, so the MSRP is well into the nose bleed section. Granted, the Suburban will only have the one body, and there is no base trim anymore in them, so you'll already be in small house territory for cost. I would not be surprised if the 3.0L diesel version is in the $70k neighborhood. The Sierra I test drove with that engine was $63k. For a half ton pickup that has a tiny bed.

I know people get all wound up about the Gilmer belt running things at the rear of the engine, which eventually will need replacement and requires transmission R&R, but as someone who works in the industry, I can tell you that there is a pretty high chance the transmission itself will need replacement by that time anyway. GM still hasn't mastered slushboxes, despite making them longer than anyone else. At least they are not terribly hard to swap out. Even the 4x4s are fairly straightforward.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I don't have any first hand experience with the 3.0 Duramax, but the professor I took a light duty diesel class from had a fairly high opinion of them. I'll wait until they're proven personally, but I can't wait to try working on one, though that'll be a few years as well with warranty...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's clear that there are people who like Tahoes, Suburbans, etc., but I was at a Chevy dealer picking up a rental car with my daughter a few months ago and there were a bunch of them on the lot. I walked around and was stunned by the MSRPs on those beasts. The idea of a diesel is appealing, but when you consider you can get an Audi A6 Allroad or Mercedes E350 Wagon for less money, it's hard to swallow what GM is asking. I guess it's a matter of what you'd prefer to drive.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
And so long as the height isn't an issue, and you are not wanting to tow over 5000 pounds, a Sprinter (even the smallest one) costs the same or less, uses less fuel, and literally has thrice the interior volume. It is much more utilitarian, however.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
we’ve been considering a sprinter or similar too.... just went to local chevy dealer and got a tag of 78k ,,,,,,,, lol.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Somewhat off topic, but GM has been a stain on the economic fabric of this country for quite some time. I'd go elsewhere.