2021 diesel gate fix

jdavis97

TDI
2013 Jetta sportswagen
So I had been driving a gas guzzling truck my entire life, and as I started to commute a lot more California gas prices really put a damper on my wallet. So I let my desire to have a nice manual tdi come true. I use my cars to get stuff around whether it be tools bikes etc.

I ended up finding a sportwagen near by. It had a salvage title so I immediately went to carfacts. It was a lease then owned (assuming it was the same person). Then the report said it was totaled for minor to mild front driver side damage. So while it was on the salvage lot the fixes were rolled out. So when it was bought at auction it wasn’t fixed, nor was it when I bought it(tan the vin on VW website). So I called my local dealer and asked if they’d still do the fixes. After a call to VW and to my surprise they said they’d be able to fix it. being in California this is important due to our smog check every 2 years. It was in my budget so I went to look at it, I liked it. Damage appeared to be body and I didn’t see any frame damage or anything that made me question safety. So I decided to get it. the seller insisted on doing the smog before sale. Obviously I was a little confused how that was going work, but a questionable smog later I had the title.

I just got my car back from the dealer with its new WARRANTY. That is the most surprising part to me. I thought this would be some useful information to share with people who may be looking to buy a car in this position if one even exists.

my next question for all you who have more experience with these is what is the effects on the motor long term with the fix. I am going to be moving to a state without inspections soon so removing the exhaust system all together isnt out of the question. I know I’ll take a hit in mileage and power at the bottom end. I’m more worried about engine health and longevity. Should I make it run unencumbered or just live with the emissions system and keep my warranties?

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
How many miles are on it?

my JSW had a lot (around 300,000 miles at the fix) so the warranty helped nicely with a new turbo actuator and intake manifold. I said I’d tune and delete it after the warranty ended but now at almost 400,000 miles I’ve never really decided it was necessary. Once my dpf goes I will likely do a delete tune on it. It still has the original clutch so I also know I’ll want to do the clutch if I do a tune. First gear power when you start from a dead stop is what I miss the most after the fix. A tune would bring that back (and then some).

My q7 got a new egr cooler and oil cooler under its warranty. It had about 180K at the time of the fix. Warranty is done on it. I’m. more likely to tune it than the JSW.

my A3 is still under warranty (has about 120,000 miles). since it has the tiptronic it would be my second in line for a tune.

jdavis97

TDI
2013 Jetta sportswagen
How many miles are on it?

my JSW had a lot (around 300,000 miles at the fix) so the warranty helped nicely with a new turbo actuator and intake manifold. I said I’d tune and delete it after the warranty ended but now at almost 400,000 miles I’ve never really decided it was necessary. Once my dpf goes I will likely do a delete tune on it. It still has the original clutch so I also know I’ll want to do the clutch if I do a tune. First gear power when you start from a dead stop is what I miss the most after the fix. A tune would bring that back (and then some).

My q7 got a new egr cooler and oil cooler under its warranty. It had about 180K at the time of the fix. Warranty is done on it. I’m. more likely to tune it than the JSW.

my A3 is still under warranty (has about 120,000 miles). since it has the tiptronic it would be my second in line for a tune.
It just ticked over 55k today on the way home from the dealer. I do want to do deletes on it all once it’s up for sure. I’ve seen what egr cycles can do to valves, but free parts are nice. I’m worried that the emissions will cause damage to the exhaust or intake system that isn’t covered under warranty

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I have 100,000 miles on my JSW post-Fix and all has been well. Others may know more or have opinions about any negative long term effects of the fix.

if you’re only at 55k you probably won’t get much from the warranty between now and 110k or whatever that new warranty expiration is.

it’s all up to your risk/reward math :)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Removing the emissions system will be problematic if you move to a state that has emissions testing or sell the car. You may even have trouble finding mechanics to work on it as some don't want the liability of being accused of tampering with emissions. The dealer probably won't like it at all. The Federal government is also cracking down hard lately so that also may cause some issues for you. Just some things to think about "before" you go down that road.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
dang. you had a non-fixed car in CA with current smog and are moving to a "non inspection" state soon. sounds like you could have not had it fixed, which would have been the best choice.

jdavis97

TDI
2013 Jetta sportswagen
dang. you had a non-fixed car in CA with current smog and are moving to a "non inspection" state soon. sounds like you could have not had it fixed, which would have been the best choice.
Yeah I know but my vin was still recalled in the dealership database so ordering spare keys or any service they HAVE to provide made me iffy. I don’t mind the warranty I’ll void it by deleting the whole system. I do just want a clean and “fixed” vin though. That was the point of the post like if it’s such a tax in the engine and system as a wholeto keep the emissions system I’ll just straight pipe it and have a tune installed for power and economy. In conclusion I would’ve liked to keep it off but I’d rather have a fixed vin and delete it when I can.

jdavis97

TDI
2013 Jetta sportswagen
Removing the emissions system will be problematic if you move to a state that has emissions testing or sell the car. You may even have trouble finding mechanics to work on it as some don't want the liability of being accused of tampering with emissions. The dealer probably won't like it at all. The Federal government is also cracking down hard lately so that also may cause some issues for you. Just some things to think about "before" you go down that road.
I’m currently in a state with emissions and I’d be moving to one without. I got it registered in my name and smogged in California easily, I was more worried about going to the dealer to get keys or other dealer only services. This way I’ll have the parts of government become tyrannical and taking away my rights to do with my property as I please. I want to delete it because morally I know I can own land and have plants that make the nox footprint of me neutral.

jdavis97

TDI
2013 Jetta sportswagen
I’ve
I have 100,000 miles on my JSW post-Fix and all has been well. Others may know more or have opinions about any negative long term effects of the fix.

if you’re only at 55k you probably won’t get much from the warranty between now and 110k or whatever that new warranty expiration is.

it’s all up to your risk/reward math :)
I mentioned it before but getting keys without getting flack from the dealer is a big thing still need to get one. I want the parts just in case and will be in California within warranty so just in case it seemed like the good idea.

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
I’m currently in a state with emissions and I’d be moving to one without. I got it registered in my name and smogged in California easily, I was more worried about going to the dealer to get keys or other dealer only services. This way I’ll have the parts of government become tyrannical and taking away my rights to do with my property as I please. I want to delete it because morally I know I can own land and have plants that make the nox footprint of me neutral.
wyoming?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
No matter where you go the government will still have control over you. Even other countries. So unless you establish your own country you are living in a dream. Most just wait till the warranty is over and then do what they like. Of course if you keep violating laws and such you will find the government even more troublesome to deal with. In todays world it only takes one person to really make your day a living mess. Others don't like diesel deletes at all and have no trouble turning you in.

Plant bio won't make your car neutral regarding emissions. Especially with no cat. You are fooling yourself. Even with any kind of plant based bio you still have emissions. Just different from D2.

jdavis97

TDI
2013 Jetta sportswagen
Update they gave me a 2021 Jetta as a loner during the recall fix. They forgot one part of the recall so when I had to go back they gave me a loner which I found so suprising!

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Why don't you drive with the fix for a few ten thousand miles and see how this particular car holds up for your driving style while it's under warranty?
Not much to lose there.
My commute style didn't seem to agree with the fix, and led to two cracked DPFs (which were replaced under warranty while I was driving a free loaner), but your experience might be better. I think most of the fixed cars keep working just fine. Those that are still on the road that is.