Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
Another stupid move by VW.

Guess they want to be like all the other bland car manufacturers.

The Beetle, Golf, JSW and diesels defined VW.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't forget that over 60% of Sportwagen sales were TDIs (when they were available). I'm sure that the death of TDIs has had a big impact on sportwagen sales. Whether it is a stupid decision or not remains to be seen. My biggest issue is that the Sportwagen was the ONLY wagon available with a manual transmission, it might be the last.

Have Fun!

Don

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
From a business standpoint I think the Tarek has a lot more sales potential than Sportwagon. Unfortunately, our options are shrinking in the process. It's a sad situation for enthusiasts.

bmc1980

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG (bought 5.29.2019)...2002 VW Jetta wagon GLS 2.0L (gas) RIP 5.19.2019 due to accident
Subaru Impreza's and Crosstrek's are available with 3 pedals.
Those are hatchbacks/crossovers, not true station wagons.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
4 doors, with a rear hatch. We have an Impreza, and it looks, feels, and holds stuff like a wagon.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
From a business standpoint I think the Tarek has a lot more sales potential than Sportwagon. Unfortunately, our options are shrinking in the process. It's a sad situation for enthusiasts.

I am very curious whether or not the Tarek name will stick. I have known 3 different people with a first name of Tarek ( 2 from Algeria and one from Iraq). Apparently it is a common first name in Arabic countries.

Have Fun!

Don

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Honestly it doesn't look horrible. And an article I read said it will have a different name in the US.

Wonder if they'll offer a manual transmission.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)

From a TDIClub standpoint, it is definitively a 'stupid move by VW'. No doubt.

Unfortunately we (meaning TDIClub members) are not representative at all of what the average American car buyer wants: SUVs (maybe some CUVs) and if the budget allows a truck (meaning the payments have been divided in so many months/years that it looks 'affordable'). I am sure TDIClub members have some strong opinions on what the average American buyer wants but we are such an infinitesimally small portion of the population that, from a business standpoint, our impact is close to negligible.

So from now on to buy a true diesel wagon (less than 10 years old) in the US that is not morphing to become a CUV/SUV then you will have to go with the likes of a 2015 Golf SportWagen.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Sad, really, really sad

Unfortunatly it's not a stupid move by VW, it's exactly what will raise their sales because it's yet another CUV/SUV

so now they will have in their lineup (worldwide)

T-cross
T-roc
Tiguan
Touareg
Atlas
Tarek (or whatever the name will be)
and possibly others

It used to be simple back in the day, it was the regular SUV segment (like a BMW X5 or Mercedes ML), and then the small SUV segment (the likes of a Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV)

Now, there are multiple variations between all of these CUV/SUVS... They are all pretty much the same thing, just some smaller then others and they all have the raised SUV look, which is what sells for whatever reasons that I will never understand

Just look at BMW, it used be just the X3 and X5, now there's the X1 all the way through to the X7... blows my mind

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Unfortunately we (meaning TDIClub members) are not representative at all of what the average American car buyer wants.
Sadly, this is true. Europeans still like wagons, and (gasp!) hatchbacks, but they're dying here. And manual transmissions are almost gone. I was at my TDI Guru's shop an hour ago and he was saying that the only thing that will bring interest in cars (and possibly diesel engines) back is probably a combination of a huge fuel price spike and a recession. Which is what we had when the common rail TDIs were launched. But I don't see that happening, nor am I sure I would want it to.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"

Ditto. I expect VW to be totally gone from these United States in less than 5 years as only overpriced crap is left.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Honestly it doesn't look horrible. And an article I read said it will have a different name in the US.
Hopefully as having an islamic terrorist's name won't do much for sales.

Wonder if they'll offer a manual transmission.
It would be nice, but by the time they get it emissions certified, VW will most likely be closing the last dealership in these United States. :(

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VW isn't going away.

Maybe not in Europe or elsewhere but probably will in these United States. Oh, the luxury and performance divisions of VW AG, Audi & Porsche will still be around but the VW division with its decreasing line of affordable cars, can't sustain itself on vehicles that are basically the same as Audi & Porsche. The VW versions are usually seen as lesser quality, but are now approaching the the higher prices of the others. Why buy a VW when for only slightly more you can get a better one from Audi?

Of course, it looks like VW might be selling re-badged Ford C/SUVs while Ford sells EVs designed by VW under this new agreement so the division may hang on like Mitsubishi. However, I have no intention of ever buying a new VW but will just buy used TDIs if need be.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
There, I fixed it for you. :D
Ha, agreed :D

As for your point about VW going away, I see what you're saying about the price VS something like an Audi, but I highly doubt they're going anywhere anytime soon. With their electrification plans and the Ford partnership, along with the fact that as far as I know without diving into numbers, they're north American sales are doing just fine (and will only increases with these new craptastic SUVs), vw will be hear to stay for a while

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Tiquan is about 10K less than a comparable Q3, similar price differential between an Arteron and an A4. You can get a loaded Atlas for 43K, a similarly equipped Q7 (only 3 row Audi available) will run you over 70K with minimal options. The GTI is a benchmark for hot hatches. Jetta is a price leader that can compete effectively in base versions with Hyundai and Kia.

VWs cars no longer have much appeal to the enthusiasts that are here, with the exception of the GTI. But they're still a solid value proposition. They're sticking around.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tiquan is about 10K less than a comparable Q3, similar price differential between an Arteron and an A4. You can get a loaded Atlas for 43K, a similarly equipped Q7 (only 3 row Audi available) will run you over 70K with minimal options. The GTI is a benchmark for hot hatches. Jetta is a price leader that can compete effectively in base versions with Hyundai and Kia.

VWs cars no longer have much appeal to the enthusiasts that are here, with the exception of the GTI. But they're still a solid value proposition. They're sticking around.

But, without a diesel option, I'll never buy one again.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
All due respect, if VW loses all its customers who previously bought diesels, they'd still be fine. And more than a few club members have switched to gasser VWs and still post here. I bet there are more who no longer frequent this site. Why would they?

And if they can figure out how to make a 2 liter gasoline engine that doesn't self-destruct before it reaches 100K miles, I might still be a customer.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And if they can figure out how to make a 2 liter gasoline engine that doesn't self-destruct before it reaches 100K miles, I might still be a customer.

Yeah, I wonder if it is because of the turbos? Our 1981 Jetta lasted until I traded it in on my Miata in 1989, and our 1989 Jetta Carat lasted until we sold it in October 2004. Neither of them had turbos; the '81 had a 1.7L gas engine, while the '89 had a 1.8L gas.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
All due respect, if VW loses all its customers who previously bought diesels, they'd still be fine. And more than a few club members have switched to gasser VWs and still post here. I bet there are more who no longer frequent this site. Why would they?

Right on! TDIClub members (some/many) are very upset with VW. Of course they want it to go away! It will not because VW is a business and it is continuing making profits worldwide and here in the US. Ok, not selling light duty diesel wagons with a manual transmission, but rather mostly 'boxy' vehicles, only with automatic transmission, not-aerodynamic and inefficient, running on gasoline without gasoline particulate filters.

People buy these things. VW will keep making them while the price of regular unleaded gasoline is not in the news and if it is, it will be for a few days, few weeks, perhaps few months but not years ...

Hwycruiser

TDI
Why should they have 2 models that have the same basic demographic sales potential. The Tiguan is a station wagon version of the Jetta and the Sportwagen is the same for the Golf. I haven’t compared their specs but they are probably very similar in key areas. If you visit any dealerships for all makes it is very easy to see that we have an over production of models of vehicles being made. Most of the dealers near me have acres and acres of trucks and cars parked around them. The car companies and dealers have to be losing big money on these slow selling models. Subaru sells lots of Outbacks so VW will just have to do better.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Yeah, I wonder if it is because of the turbos? Our 1981 Jetta lasted until I traded it in on my Miata in 1989, and our 1989 Jetta Carat lasted until we sold it in October 2004. Neither of them had turbos; the '81 had a 1.7L gas engine, while the '89 had a 1.8L gas.
It's timing belt system failures. Happens to lots of the 2L TSI and TSFI engines at 60-100K miles. Destroys the head. Problem is bad enough that wrecking yards will no loner warranty these engines. So if yours fails out of warranty you're in for $$ for repairs to get an engine that's no more reliable, or you can gamble with a yard engine, which could fail anytime. Very sad.

Of course most current customers lease their VWs and never get to those mileages, so they don't experience an issue.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I wouldn't touch anything in that engine family with a 10 foot pole. Good thing I am not looking to buy a new car from VW because there is nothing good any more. The 2015 Golf TDI with manual was probably the last thing I would consider.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Why should they have 2 models that have the same basic demographic sales potential. The Tiguan is a station wagon version of the Jetta and the Sportwagen is the same for the Golf. I haven’t compared their specs but they are probably very similar in key areas. If you visit any dealerships for all makes it is very easy to see that we have an over production of models of vehicles being made. Most of the dealers near me have acres and acres of trucks and cars parked around them. The car companies and dealers have to be losing big money on these slow selling models. Subaru sells lots of Outbacks so VW will just have to do better.

I would venture to say that the majority of subscribers to TDIClub would disagree with the statement that "The Tiguan is a station wagon version of the Jetta".

The Tiguan is a CUV/SUV and the Atlas is a larger version or a large inefficient SUV.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Besides the GTI and Golf R there is nothing in their product line that remotely interests me anymore. The Tarek, sounds like some type of Klingon Starship, looks hideous and underwhelming like all these unibody SAVs. Boring.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would venture to say that the majority of subscribers to TDIClub would disagree with the statement that "The Tiguan is a station wagon version of the Jetta".

The Tiguan is a CUV/SUV and the Atlas is a larger version or a large inefficient SUV.

Correct. What was called the Jetta station wagon here in North America, was actually a Golf wagon everywhere else; only the model line name and front grill were changed to match the Jetta sedan.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Well, not everywhere. It was a Bora Variant in the UK. But on the Continent I think it was always a Golf.