2018 Chevy Equinox gains an optional diesel

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I can't believe i am saying this........but maybe its time to move on to GM product and give the Equinox a good look when its out.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Read about it a few hours ago...
Kinda wondering if the same motor as the Cruze in a bigger body might be more than just slow...
Automakers have a history of not offering the lowest power cars in the US, saying they are not a good fit...
So I wonder....just cause they make it does not mean it will be sold here....
When auto makers say they are building it, but don't offer prices....it tends to be more of a feeler IMO.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I can't believe i am saying this........but maybe its time to move on to GM product and give the Equinox a good look when its out.
I'm planning on getting a Silverado 1500. I'm sure the day after I do that, I'll flip on the news and I'll hear about how they're testing a new mid-size Duramax in the 1500, lol.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Read about it a few hours ago...
Kinda wondering if the same motor as the Cruze in a bigger body might be more than just slow...
Automakers have a history of not offering the lowest power cars in the US, saying they are not a good fit...
So I wonder....just cause they make it does not mean it will be sold here....
When auto makers say they are building it, but don't offer prices....it tends to be more of a feeler IMO.
It's not the same engine that the cruze had. Not sure on the specs of the new diesel, but at least the out going model was bigger displacement than the one they are talking about for the equinox.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Same

It's not the same engine that the cruze had. Not sure on the specs of the new diesel, but at least the out going model was bigger displacement than the one they are talking about for the equinox.
It is the same diesel motor as the 2017 Cruze.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Are you sure of that? I thought that engine was a 1.4?
That's the gas engine. GM's new 4-cyl diesel is a 1.6 litre for both the Cruze (which we knew about) and the Equinox (which we didn't).

GM is serious about consolidating vehicle platforms. Both the new Equinox and the new Cruze are on their new D2 platform ... so it's probably the same subframe, which makes it easy for them to do this.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Article says the new Equinox is 400 lbs. lighter than the previous version. So maybe the 1.6 diesel will be OK. Americans don't drive that fast anyway. Torque will make it feel quick, as would good gearing.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It is the same diesel motor as the 2017 Cruze.
I just read that in another thread too. Hadn't heard that they were putting a smaller diesel in the new Cruze. Thanks

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Article says the new Equinox is 400 lbs. lighter than the previous version. So maybe the 1.6 diesel will be OK. Americans don't drive that fast anyway. Torque will make it feel quick, as would good gearing.
I hope....
A decent priced small SUV with decent mpg....hope it is not priced crazy like most diesel pick-ups....could be a good seller.... interesting...just hope the tranny situation is ok...make me think of the early mini-vans that had lots of mechanical issues cause they shared the same platform as the k-car, just lots heavier, with the same drivetrains....

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
My first impression was that the engine is a bit small for the vehicle. Not even 140 hp in an AWD (I hope) SUV (even a small one) sounds like a bad combination.

But, after thinking a little longer, I am reminded that some people really don't NEED a lot of power. The torque of the diesel will help move the car, even when loaded.
It will get beat up by the magazines, that all love to talk about power and 0-60 times, but there are some people that are much more interested in fuel economy, but need a slightly larger vehicle. 138 hp is not all that bad.

This could be a real winner for GM.

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
Just as automakers are getting into the diesel game a little more seriously, VW is getting out. Too bad. A diesel Tiguan or Allroad would be nice about now.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
True, we really cannot believe anything we hear from VW. They have continually let us down over the years.
I know we've read the rumors that VW will be dropping the diesel cars. I was reading into that that they would be continuing with the V6 TDIs. Maybe they will still do some 2.0 TDIs, but only in the SUVs, where they have a higher MSRP to play with, so the cost can be justified easier. After all, BMW and MB can make diesels that pass certification (not necessarily meet the standards all the time, but at least legally get the EPA to sign off on them.) The difference may be in the fact that they can charge enough to install parts that allow them to pass.