2018 BMW 540d for USA??

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Picked this up on Bimmerfest (www.bimmerfest.com). Will this actually come to the USA??
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970749

2018 5 Series Diesel 540d starts production in July
BMW diesel fans have been waiting to know if BMW was going to bring a 5 Series diesel to the US. The fear was that VW Dieselgate had killed diesel momentum for German brands in America. In the 2018 BMW production schedule the 540d xDrive is clearly starting production in July 2017 at Plant Dingolfing.

The 540d is available in xDrive only an dwill be powered by the 3.0 liter quad turbo six cylinder B57 engine. With 394 hp and 561 lb-ft of torque the 540d with xDrive will move. Especially impressive is that all of that torque comes in at just a tick over 2,000 rpm and stays there until nearly 4,000. Redline is around 6000 rpms so the engine has some range for a oil burner.

No word on pricing yet, the 2018 5 Series pricing thread will be updated as soon as we know.
That's some serious Weapons Grade TORQUE! :cool:

* DROOL * :D
Me want. :)

Last edited:

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
I would love to drive such a beast, but I'll be glad to see any 3L TD come back to the USA!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I like the new 5 series, although if we got it with a diesel it would probably be with the older N57 engine like its predecessor. Still, it would be a nice car.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking at the current inventory at my local BMW dealer, I did see 2 2017 X5 35d on the lot. So, 3L TD are still available. BMW is making a very concerted effort to electrify, though. They are expensive and have a fairly limited electric only range.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
What is all this x drive about? More/less or about the same reliability than before?

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Over 130 hp per liter from a diesel for a streetable vehicle is wild. Wonder what the maximum boost is. The cylinder head sealing must be fantastic.

Though I don't know if I would be thrilled with worrying about the health of four turbochargers on my engine.

n1das

TDI
What is all this x drive about? More/less or about the same reliability than before?
Xdrive = AWD

It's what marketing thinks they should offer.

The 335d with RWD sold well to hardcore diesel enthusiasts like us but then became a hard sell to a broader market without AWD. Lack of AWD in the 335d ultimately became a deal breaker among many who were interested in the 335d because it was a diesel.

My 535d was available with and without Xdrive. I've spotted several 535d cars with Xdrive but have yet to see a RWD 535d.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

n1das

TDI
Over 130 hp per liter from a diesel for a streetable vehicle is wild. Wonder what the maximum boost is. The cylinder head sealing must be fantastic.

Though I don't know if I would be thrilled with worrying about the health of four turbochargers on my engine.
I had the same thoughts too while thinking about the Weapons Grade TORQUE. I would think a quad turbo setup would consist of a pair of sequential turbos with each driving 3 cylinders.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Xdrive = AWD

The 335d with RWD sold well to hardcore diesel enthusiasts like us but then became a hard sell to a broader market without AWD. Lack of AWD in the 335d ultimately became a deal breaker among many who were interested in the 335d because it was a diesel.

My 535d was available with and without Xdrive. I've spotted several 535d cars with Xdrive but have yet to see a RWD 535d.
They're out there, but not in this region. Dealers in the Northeast tell me that unless it's an M3/M4, they order everything in AWD and automatic. If you want a 535d RWD you have to go south or order a new one.

For me AWD is a deal-breaker. I bought the 335d in part because it's RWD. With snow tires it was fine this winter.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Damn. That quad turbo b57 propels the 740d from 0-60 in 4.5 seconds! I don't know what 4 turbos will mean for cost of ownership, but I suspect most BMW owners are prepared for that.

n1das

TDI
Damn. That quad turbo b57 propels the 740d from 0-60 in 4.5 seconds! I don't know what 4 turbos will mean for cost of ownership, but I suspect most BMW owners are prepared for that.
The 540d should be a bit faster than the 740d!

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
but I suspect most BMW owners are prepared for that.
I think most new 7-series get leased rather than purchased. Or, the owners buy a new car every couple years anyways. Cost of ownership has never been a concern for the 7-series or the Merc S-class.

n1das

TDI
I had the same thoughts too while thinking about the Weapons Grade TORQUE. I would think a quad turbo setup would consist of a pair of sequential turbos with each driving 3 cylinders.

I'm curious to know what the intake and exhaust plumbing would look like in a quad turbo setup. :cool:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I smell same fake news here. Curious that BMW would "downgrade" the model designation when the M550d has one fewer turbo and less power. As for getting it in the US, dream on. And if you seriously want "weapons-grade torque" ( :rolleyes: ), drive a Tesla Model S P100D in Ludicrous+ mode.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Would our crappy 40 cetane fuel be compatible with an engine with such high specific output?

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I smell same fake news here. Curious that BMW would "downgrade" the model designation when the M550d has one fewer turbo and less power. As for getting it in the US, dream on. And if you seriously want "weapons-grade torque" ( :rolleyes: ), drive a Tesla Model S P100D in Ludicrous+ mode.
You are talking about a 5 year newer car in the next generation; it could easily be faster and more powerful than a M550d.

This is no different than the 7th gen GTI being faster than the 6th gen Golf R; etc. etc. etc... hell; my 328d is as fast to 60 as a 1st gen M3 was; does that make it "fake news" too?

As for getting it in the US; who knows... They are pushing the all new 5 series pretty hard, they may bring it over.

And if you seriously want "weapons-grade torque" ( :rolleyes: ), drive a Tesla Model S P100D in Ludicrous+ mode.
Sure; but then run that Model S and the 540d out until they stall and see which has better range :D

temporaptor

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI 11 335D M-Sport
Would our crappy 40 cetane fuel be compatible with an engine with such high specific output?
Bmw has always recommended 51 cetane.

I ran 75 cetane diesel HPR in my 335d an currently run HPR in my d X5 35d

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Xdrive = AWD

Ok thanks for the explanation. In my view AWD might be necessary in certain climates but in my humble view and general terms is another overkill/unnecessary feature reducing your bank account and consuming more fuel.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Dealbreaker for me is that it must be a wagon. :) I'll even "settle" for the slushbox. 328d xDrive Touring is tops on my list for a car available in NA. Otherwise, I'll import a 15 year old Audi Allroad TDI quattro with manual transmission. :D

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Same here, the numbers look like they would belong to the upcoming M550d.

The G30 530d is already out, powered by the same 265PS B57D30M0 as the 730d. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to expect a twin-turbo 320PS B57D30B-powered 540d (same engine as 740d) and a quad-turbo 400PS B57D30C-powered M550d (same engine as the 750d) to be added to the range very soon.

(Just look into the BMW Germany configurator and look at the 7-series diesel lineup. Same engines will be available in the 5, plus a bunch of 4-cylinders.

And if it's anything like the F10, the North American market will get the 530d, but with "540d" badges.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Dealbreaker for me is that it must be a wagon. :) I'll even "settle" for the slushbox. 328d xDrive Touring is tops on my list for a car available in NA. Otherwise, I'll import a 15 year old Audi Allroad TDI quattro with manual transmission. :D
What kind of MPG would you expect (average) from a 15 year old Audi Allroad TDI quattro with manual transmission?

Lat

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35d, 2006 Jetta TDI
Probably not realistic that the 540d in North America will be the same as the one in the EU, but the specifications look pretty awesome for the EU version:
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/attachment/T0270585EN/384944

I'm guessing that they'll probably do the same thing as the 535d and rebrand an EU 530d for the new 540d (just like they did for the EU 320d -> NA 328d).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That's exciting. Nice looking car. I don't think I could ever own one, however. Every time I drove it I'd just think about how much it's costing me.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad to see there will still be diesel availability for the foreseeable future. Options are limited to BMW and Chevy.