Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
As far as I know, just the gasoline TSI motor. That was the plan even before the diesel scandal hit.

IMO, the small VW diesel is dead in this country.

tomc585

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Its doubtful we will see the TDI in this for sometime if at all in the US. The manual tranny will come later on also. It seems VW knows what we want in the US but just doesn't deliver, and if it does its after we commit to something else.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
It is almost like a secret power to keep the cars we want out of the US.....

Is it a plane, a VW or ..... StupidMann

He also works int the engine development labs (programming)
His alter ego is the CEO

Buckeyeman

TDI
None yet
Its doubtful we will see the TDI in this for sometime if at all in the US. The manual tranny will come later on also. It seems VW knows what we want in the US but just doesn't deliver, and if it does its after we commit to something else.
You are so right that VW doesn't give the U.S. consumer what they want, and they know it too. Read the interview with Herbert Diess.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/the-trouble-with-vw-america-still-doesnt-get-it-the-big-picture/

J.R.

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Sportwagon TDI?
As much as I'd love a AWD, TDI, manual Alltrack (if it were to even become available), I have a feeling it would price itself out of consideration.

After taxes etc, it will probably be nearly $10k over a mid range TDI, manual wagon...

Especially considering VW is going to have a major back log of 15's/16's they'll be clearing out presumably.

mizzn44

TDI
'02 Jetta
I was told today by a VW delership the TDI would be offered in the AWD Alltrack. He's clueless for sure. However aside form the lies perpetuated by VW over emissions, I could care less. All I care about - it reliable and whats the mileage like.

Pay the fines, fire the right people and move on.

md1037

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
I live in Colorado and drive in the snow a fair amount. The front wheel drive sportwagen with good snow tires is a beast in the snow.

Personally if they were going to improve the sportwagen, just make it more powerful and wider. And keep a manual option. No need for AWD, at least around here.

Blownvette

Veteran Member
TDI
1990 Corvette with V10TDI ,2004 (2)V10TDI’s
I live in Colorado and drive in the snow a fair amount. The front wheel drive sportwagen with good snow tires is a beast in the snow.
Personally if they were going to improve the sportwagen, just make it more powerful and wider. And keep a manual option. No need for AWD, at least around here.
So true! The correct tires in good condition is a great alternative to AWD.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
While a front wheel drive car may do just fine in the snow, an AWD will be able to accelerate faster to get ahead of other cars that aren't so good in the snow.

To me, that is the entire point of AWD: To put the power down and get moving as fast as possible so you aren't stuck behind some mini-van slipping and sliding it's way into a ditch. Let it do that behind you, so you aren't involved in the festivities.

AWD is a definite advantage on slippery surfaces. In the future, I will not buy a car without it.

md1037

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI
Everything else being equal AWD provides better traction when it's slippery, no doubt. And there may be parts of the country where that is really needed. They do have some disadvantages as well.
I've had a few SUVs and a AWD Honda CRV. Personally I've found front wheel drive cars with dedicated snow tires to be great snow cars.
And I would not be super excited to trade my TDI for the new alltrack.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
Thow an AWD label on the back...and mount good snow tires...and you are set to go. In the past 5 years here in Tahoe, I never got stuck with my FWD JSW, even in the year we had 800 inches.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I have to say, I envy you folks in places like Colorado, where the snow stays snow, and snow tires are sufficient.
Where I am they like to treat the roads with brine and then salt them during the storm, turning the snow into slush. On top of that, we have some decent hills. I have had the car fail to make it up my road, even with good snow tires on it. AWD is not a useless option for me.