2016 Speedometer Correction VCDS

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Hello, had an owner in today. He has installed larger diameter tires on his 2016 Touareg and the speedo is reading slower than actual verified with GPS. Using VCDS and you tube, we had no success using long coding or adaption in the instruments section of the software. No obvious solution in the ABS module either. Has anyone figured this out for a 2016 model? Would appreciate specific directions or to know if its even possible. I did search prior. Thank you in advance. Mark

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I don't know specifically for your exact year/model, but from all I've read, any of the controllers that have different settings set, can be changed "by trial and error" using a similar process as this.

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Thank you. Came across the same article and a similar you tube video. Unfortunately the 2016 module displays different coding screens. It's likely more specific model year etc. Thanks again.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I'm not going to go out to buy a 2016 just to see these screens, so post some shots of what you're looking at.
First of all, where are you looking?

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Module #17 Instruments/ Advanced coding 07/ Long coding helper. View doesn't align with the MK linked screen. Also looked under adaption and tried changing the % for correction. Adjusted from 100 % to 85% in steps. Road test revealed no changes. Reset back to 100%. Looked under the ABS module, but VCDS reported minimal changes can be made.

Owner took the vehicle as is. He brought it to utilize my VCDS software. I said I would check here, but he should also look on the internet. So, I don't have any screen shots to share at this point and wasn't expecting you to buy a vehicle to answer my post. ;-) Seems that some owners would have installed larger diameter tires on their late model Touareg whatever reason and run into this. That is why I posted here. It can be very specific coding in some cases.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok, so going from memory and from what I've seen in my '14.....
Under long coding where you were, you can select different bits.... some are labeled, some are not...
One of them should show in the bottom section values from 1-7, even if they are not labeled with a descriptor.....
I know for sure that in the advanced measuring blocks, there are options for different sets of wheels... that I recall for sure.
I very much doubt that his '16 is much different as it's basically the same vehicle with a small facelift.

I'll try to remember and to poke around mine next time I'm in there to give some visuals.

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
I understand what you are saying. That's one thing I did not do. I was toggling the up and down error. Someone posted a phone video of their laptop in the sun that didn't really cover how he got to that point. Just where to change the value. Please don't go to any trouble. I'll see what the owner comes up with. I have VCDS for my vanagon, but don't really use it often. Things I've helped owners change had very specific directions to follow and I'm ok at following directions. Its a powerful tool and I don't want to disable a module by accident and not be able to recover. Thanks again.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hang on a sec.... just how much larger of an OD did your customer go to?
Most vehicles that "age" are already set to under-report speed by up to 10% (indicate fast vs actual)