2016 2-Door vs. 2017 4-Door?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

I'm in the market for a GTI. Ignore the non-TDI part for now. My question is about the mechanics of a 2-door vs. a 4-door and perhaps the model year change.

I've been a four-door guy since 1998. So I was naturally pleased with selecting another four-door. When researching pricing at TrueCar.com, I accidentally ran the pricing on 2016 models. They appear to be selling for $4600 off MSRP, compared to $2300 below MSRP for a four-door 2017 that's also $600 more. In short, I can get a 2016 2-door for $2900 less than the 2017-door. If the car's been sitting long enough, and I think it has, I may see an even steeper discount. That has me wondering if a 2-door might be right for me.

Here's where the bias starts: ;) What is the drawback of having a two-door? I'm alone in the car 95% of the time. It's nice to toss things through a back door, but I can get over not having that. Back seat passengers are rare, but it happens (16 y/o daughter). What else might I be missing? Roof rack challenges? Longer doors in parking lots? Better blind spot visibility? I'm digging for excuses. I sold my last two-door long before becoming an enthusiast. So I don't know how to apply "enthusiast logic" to owning a 2-door, if that makes sense. :D

I appreciate your opinions,

Scott

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Hello,

I'm in the market for a GTI. Ignore the non-TDI part for now. My question is about the mechanics of a 2-door vs. a 4-door and perhaps the model year change.

I've been a four-door guy since 1998. So I was naturally pleased with selecting another four-door. When researching pricing at TrueCar.com, I accidentally ran the pricing on 2016 models. They appear to be selling for $4600 off MSRP, compared to $2300 below MSRP for a four-door 2017 that's also $600 more. In short, I can get a 2016 2-door for $2900 less than the 2017-door. If the car's been sitting long enough, and I think it has, I may see an even steeper discount. That has me wondering if a 2-door might be right for me.

Here's where the bias starts: ;) What is the drawback of having a two-door? I'm alone in the car 95% of the time. It's nice to toss things through a back door, but I can get over not having that. Back seat passengers are rare, but it happens (16 y/o daughter). What else might I be missing? Roof rack challenges? Longer doors in parking lots? Better blind spot visibility? I'm digging for excuses. I sold my last two-door long before becoming an enthusiast. So I don't know how to apply "enthusiast logic" to owning a 2-door, if that makes sense. :D

I appreciate your opinions,

Scott
Think building a product for a market. Buyers aren't looking for 2-door cars. The effect is on the resale price when you decide to sell the 2-door model.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
When I bought my '12 Golf I went for the 2-door because I think it looks better, it's simpler, and I rarely have anyone in the back seat. And if I did want to use a back seat, I could always drive the wagon, or the Mercedes, or...you get the idea.

Long story short, if I'd bought a 4-door I might still have it. Although I enjoyed the larger windows and the appearance of the car, having a 2-door was a PITA. I put stuff in the back seat all the time, and even with the seat pretty far forward it was not as easy as in a 4-door. And it's hard to get the dog in and out when someone else is in the car with me.

I personally feel that GTIs should be 2-doors. But if I were looking for one as a daily driver, I'd get the 4-door. That's in part why I now have a 4-door MKIV Golf. Had a 2-door one of those, too.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Functionally....in to the parking spaces, the 4 doors shorter doors can make it easier to get in and out...seems spaces are getting more narrow.

acrossthepond

Veteran Member
TDI
several now 2016 Mk7 Golf GTD DSG
Agree functionality.

Once had a two door and would never go back to a two door again as a daily driver.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Thanks for the input, everyone. I visited the dealership that had the car listed. It turns out the car sold over the weekend. The other two-doors in my area are not colors I want. I'm after silver or white. So the two-door is off my list since I don't want one bad enough to leave the area.

I received a notice from VW today that they were going to start processing TDI buybacks. I may see some movement early in November. Perhaps there will be a Veteran's Day or Thanksgiving promotion that I can take advantage of. We'll see.