2015 volkswagen passat tdi phase 2 refusal

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
Can you explain the heater core clogging with a higher EGR duty cycle? I've read here that the heater core clogging is associated with the high regen temps boiling coolant creating sediment. That makes sense in my mind but I'm more curious about the mechanics of EGR and how that plays a role.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Coolant flow goes: hottest part of engine ---> EGR cooler ---> heater core. Same as always, however, with already higher coolant temps and more EGR flow, the coolant coming out of that cooler and headed towards the core (which is always flowing coolant) is hotter than ever, and it causes the additives to come out of suspension and they end up in the place that has the smallest passages.

There was a TSB for this BEFORE Dieselgate. It is only made worse now. Good news is, you do not need to take the dash out to replace the core. Bad news is, some people need the core replaced once a year now. Which is ridiculous. 2015s do not seem to be as bad, though (not a CKRA engine).

ebain21

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6M
I have a CJAA golf and just had the second core replaced a month ago, I've owned the car for 44,000 miles. Heat was warm at best which is not ideal in subzero MN temps. I'm probably a bit more sensitive to it because of cold winter temps, but I don't think it's that unreasonable to expect a car to put out decent heat no matter the ambient temp. Both times the dealer covered it and supposedly performed the coolant flush per the TSB but who knows...

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I guess being a jerk is also one of your strong points. No need to scream and shout. I can read regular print.
Maybe the dealer(s) around you have no clue. I dare to say they are not all like that.
We have both had our say and I will let it go at that.
Ok i thought it was just me he didnt like... but now that he thinks that oilhammer who literally fixes more tdi's, takes more time than any other on this site and posts more quality information on all versions of tdi's is a jerk tells me i what i was thinking. I've been on these boards since 2003 and literally have never been called or called someone a name... thats for the facebook tdi group ;) If the parts arent there or backordered, the dealer techs dont know enough, and the fix causes other issues then yes the warranty isn't worth it to people who actually drive a fair amount. The thing remains is that if you take the crap off of the car it's actually a pretty decent and solid automobile!

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Actually after the fix my car uses about 1/3 the def fluid it did before the fix.
I might be in the same position. I usually add a 2.5gallon jug of def with each service (every 10K) and have never gotten a low def warning. This last time, I tried the same and the tank filled full and started overflowing, something I was not expecting😲

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I've got 90,000KM's on my 2015, never had any issues other than an Adblue line replaced.
1. People come here with problems, those cars that don't have problems don't show up here.
2. On this car and my 2013 with 150,000, never had a heater core issue and heater worked/works fine.
3. The 2013 had a CEL for the DEF Heater early on before dieselgate. Dealer/VW said not covered on emissions warranty, car had about 85,000 KM's, so off original warranty. I argued if DEF isn't part of emissions, remove it. In the end, it was fixed under warranty.
4. Oilhammer, when I am off warranty, I would get mine "fixed" if you were handy.

Warranty by manufacturers is hit or miss, some are better than others, some are very bad. The worst car I ever owned was a Toyota Camry and Toyota did not stand behind it. Mercedes cars are now rated very low on the quality scale. Toyota have been fixing frames of their Tacoma, Tundra, and 4 Runners from say 1996 on, they are now doing 2010's. They are doing that in my opinion due to the liability issues- lawyers made them do it after frames broke in half while driving down the road. Not sure why they haven't fixed the frame issue.

The alternatives today for new cars are scary to me. Everything said about dealer tech talent being lacking in many or most cases is accurate. It is Russian roulette getting a good tech and new cars are getting much more complicated. Manufacturers and dealers first process is to check your wallet and you have to fight them to get what is fair and reasonable.

If you buy a new car, it has radar, 360 degree video, automatic cruise, automatic braking, engines turn off when you stop at a light then restart, hybrid gas/electric, a video touch screen that runs the audio, heat, navigation, etc. and many must have 2-300 sensors for all those gizmos. Each car in a model year can have different hardware let alone software. If you have any issues- and I can't see these things working perfectly forever- who will fix them?

I've seen videos on Tesla videos showing the inside of a battery pack and other technology inside them. They are very scary too and Tesla does not have a good reputation for service or quality. I thought an electric car would be in my future, now I ain't so sure. Getting rid of internal combustion was supposed to remove a lot of systems.

We'll likely have a call center the car will connect to over the internet, you'll sit by the side of the road on hold, then the call center will plug into your car, do a bunch of attempted fixes over an hour or so, then send an Amazon tow truck to tow you to who knows where to replace something?

Oilhammer, I hope your training is up to date, you may be our only hope.

I'm now retired, at this point I may not buy any car newer than a 2015, I may revert back to a 1998 TDI.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Ok i thought it was just me he didnt like... but now that he thinks that oilhammer who literally fixes more tdi's, takes more time than any other on this site and posts more quality information on all versions of tdi's is a jerk tells me i what i was thinking. I've been on these boards since 2003 and literally have never been called or called someone a name... thats for the facebook tdi group ;) If the parts arent there or backordered, the dealer techs dont know enough, and the fix causes other issues then yes the warranty isn't worth it to people who actually drive a fair amount. The thing remains is that if you take the crap off of the car it's actually a pretty decent and solid automobile!

I have always said I respect oilhammers knowledge and abilities. The "jerk" comment was due to the "yelling" at me, not his qualifications or expertise as a mechanic. So I don't know why you even bring this up? I have never questioned anything he has posted or said except for this instance of going deleted without even trying the warranty or telling people it is only a joke. My only thought was why not try and get the dealer to do warranty work first rather than just first telling people to delete and go on. If your choice of dealers sucks everywhere you go and you feel it isn't worth your time or energy to even try then go ahead if you are comfortable with that. Some are not comfortable with that and/or don't have the finances to do a delete properly. They rely heavily on the warranty and more info to try and help those would benefit some here.

I doubt he needs you to defend him.

There are a number of people I have helped here who wanted or needed to use the warranty and I have helped them find info and determine mileage and time limits and what should be covered under the warranty. They were able to get the repairs needed and had good work done, or so they reported. Will they have issues down the road? Who knows. Many people driving around without these issues.

There is no one here I dislike as I know none of you.

hubbell92tt

TDI
Jetta TDI
Well I picked up my car from Volkswagen today with no work being done to the car. As soon as I got it home I started digging into it.

this is my “broken” dpf pressure sensor that wasn’t covered...

So far i'm loving this visit to the dealership. It'll be a fun one.

Can anyone tell me if i can use any 03L 906 051B sensor or do all the numbers need to match?

Thanks
Chase

hubbell92tt

TDI
Jetta TDI
Oh and I guess to follow up I'll give an update on all the goodies that the dealer quoted.

$196.30 - maf sensor
$752.63 - valve cover gasket and injector "reseal" I was told I have a severe oil leak... there is not a puddle of oil in the valve cover... there is just residue from previous spillage... I just changed the oil last thursday (i dropped the car off on sunday)
$424.29 - "broken" dpf pressure sensor
$1102.73 - cooling fan assembly (quoted $698.** 1/20/2020 the previous visit I tried to have the phase 2 done)

Chase

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
btw that pressure sensor is only like $70 i replaced one on my old CJAA (there are two and i believe they are interchangeable for part numbers). While one of the ports didn't snap off like yours, it was a simple fix.

Last digit is the rev number, usually try and snag the latest.

troms

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S
By the way, just to chime in. Gen 3 2.0 TDI (which I think is ONLY the 2015 Golf in the US) is the most trouble-free, reliable car I've owned! 96K and the ONLY repair I've done was replacing the latch on the back hatch. Bought new OEM part for $65 and installed it in about 10 minutes. Done. Also, I've done all scheduled maintenance on-time (although right now I'm some months late on replacing brake/clutch fluid, but I'll have time to do that very soon). Clutch seems good-as-new, and original brakes show surprisingly little wear.

Just my experience, but this MK7 Golf TDI has been a GREAT car. I'm past-middle-age, and this is the first car I've every purchased new. I got a 3rd of my money back, an extended warranty on a couple of expensive parts, and a car that has no rival (under $35k) that I know of.

Also, as the Gen 3 2.0 goes, my experience has been NO NOTICEABLE CHANGE in the car's performance after any fix. I have meticulous records from the day I bought it with about 50 miles on it. Although driving conditions haven't been exactly the same through the years, in general my mpg is consistent and if anything, the car feels slightly more responsive now, but I could be making that part up.

Last edited:

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
By the way, just to chime in. Gen 3 2.0 TDI (which I think is ONLY the 2015 Golf in the US)
2015 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Passat and Audi A3 are all the same. Very different than the early generations and impacted much less by the "fix". Most reliable of the 2.0 CR TDIs if left stock after the emissions modification.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
2015 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Passat and Audi A3 are all the same. Very different than the early generations and impacted much less by the "fix". Most reliable of the 2.0 CR TDIs if left stock after the emissions modification.
Isn't the Passat /Jetta / NB CVCA vs the CRUA in the G & GSW? Or maybe you meant all Gen 3...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
CVCA and CRUA are nearly identical. I think the CVCA's only differences are some externals to accommodate fitting into the older platform that the Jetta and Passat use.