2015 TDI GOLF Hydrolocked in PHX 220,000

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Wait, it was water in the diesel? Then the high pressure fuel pump does not survive long

wrander1

TDI
jetta 2013
ordering motor mounts, drivers CV axle, ambient error sensor....only problem left is it may be consuming coolant (have to top it off) but i dont see where yet.

wrander1

TDI
jetta 2013
Wait, it was water in the diesel? Then the high pressure fuel pump does not survive long
I got the car for a $1100. I am not sure of the history. "won't start" "maybe hydrolocked" is what the seller said. My mechanics are good but they don't speak english well. My total cost for the car and fix is $2800. and it runs well for now. the car was $1100, the labor was $500, they purged the engine and fuel system, replace the alternator, fixed the finder clips, oil change, fuel filter change, DEF fill, new air filters, new used battery, and charged the AC. I am going to run it a few weeks and see how it holds up. next week i am installing a lower motor mount bushing, a new left CV axle, and an ambient temp sensor. it it keeps running, one of my kids gets and upgrade.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Hey, you got a fantastic deal, and I commend you for not been scared of fixing a car with a past, chapeau!

Now, the story of why/how this car stopped starting and the codes pull from the ECU doesn't make a lot of sense.

Why did the car need a new alternator, battery and AC recharge? Those sound to me as if the car sat for a very long time at the dealer or whomever had the car before you.

If the car hydrolocked, I would expect to see codes for low compression. Not sure if all common rail, or just this year, but for sure all 2015 (CVCA/CRUA) have pressure sensors integral to the glow plugs. Why would VW put those there and not monitor them?

Try to get a scanner that can read more than the basic OBDII codes. There could be intermittent codes stored that could help piece the story together.

wrander1

TDI
jetta 2013
it sound a bit rougher than my other 2015 TDI. here is a video.

i'll VW scan it in a few weeks after I swap out the CV and dogbone motor mount. I may have a coolant leak to track down.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
iced intercoolers of the CJAA many were lucky of having just enough water to stall combustion at idle then the starter couldn't turn over the engine causing any further damage.

I had my first stall hydro lock at 20K and the block was running without issues until it was turned into VW and crushed at 140K.

Now if the OPs car was trying "boat mode" and reving the engine under load when it sucked in water, that might be a different story.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
For what it's worth, the Trusted TDI Mechanics by State thread is pretty outdated for Arizona. Can't seem to get anybody to update it or provide good shops. Updates recommended years ago haven't been made. It's a shame. That being said, Autobahn Motorwerks up in North Phoenix still has a good reputation, especially if Derek is still working there (used to own Exklusiv Motorsports on that mechanics thread). He's come and gone a little, and there's a thread on here bashing him about a single job gone wrong, but I and other people I trust have all had great experiences with him. As of a year ago, he was still the cheapest timing belt job in the state, though he was talking about raising his rate. And unfortunately, he's like an hour drive from me. Independent Automotive, the other one on the list, shows as permanently closed.

I got so frustrated with finding a TDI mechanic I just decided to figure out how to do most of it myself. Now, even when I don't do it, I know what to tell a shop I want done.

wrander1

TDI
jetta 2013
got it done . golf is 99% done... just need the dog bone motor mount done... i have the parts and a press but it look like a P I T A. i got the old one out but looks like i have to drop the whole plate to press i new one in.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dropping the subframe isn't that big of a deal if you have a lift and plan on getting an alignment. I would recommend checking LCA bushing and replacing if there are any sort of miles on them.

wrander1

TDI
jetta 2013
i got the plate out. next up is pressing the new mount in. saw a youtube video on press it into a pvc tube backwards first before pressing it plate... lookings like it will not be easy. would hire someone if i could find someone or a dealer that will press them in.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
If idles smoothly con rods are probably ok.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
new LCA with new stock bushings are dirt cheap ($60-80) if you just want to toss parts at it and not bother with new bushings. Idparts has them.