2015 TDI GOLF Hydrolocked in PHX 220,000

wrander1

TDI
jetta 2013
I just got a cheap 2015 TDI GOLF with 220,000 miles for a grand. the last owner just said it stopped starting. The dealer thinks it is hydrolocked. Star auto in phx will do a dirt cheap powertrain swap for me. I think I need used motor and and a new turbo. I assume installing a used turbo is not a good idea. What brand turbo should I get? The error codes are C1555 P0070 P0606 U0422. Are there other parts i should have swapped at the same time?
Its good looking car and I would like to get it rebuilt to last. https://photos.app.goo.gl/DTyXoxoRF4dinYej9

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Not really having worked on these newer engines yet, but from what I read it is more likely a high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) failure.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
toss parts at it!!!

mind as well get a new transmission while you're at it, that's probably the cause due to a failed DMF.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Like oilhammer says. Those codes seem from a generic scanner, find someone with VCDS or obdeleven who can properly scan the car.

Most dealers are incompetent/lazy imo. I've actually cleared codes from cars they have for sale!

wrander1

TDI
jetta 2013
it was a the dealer service when i bought it. I will can call and see what they report. I have it at a cheap swap mechanic Star Auto. They rebuild a lot of cars. I don't have a good TDI troubleshooting mechanic in phoenix yet. I drive a low mile 2015 passat TDI and have not had to do major work. I got the 2015 TDI golf for only a grand and checking to see if it worth rebuilding . I think can get a motor installed for 2k. DSG installed for 2k. the fuel system I read is super expressive 5k??. Does anyone know someone good in phoenix that can pay to pull the codes and get a good idea of what swaps are needed? I could put 4 ish k into a rebuild or just give up . suggestions?

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI

Couple of guys in phx

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well if you got a ~$24k car for $1k I'd say you are already ahead of the game. I'd still want to at least do a little digging to find out what exactly is wrong and why it happened. If nothing else, so it doesn't happen again.

wrander1

TDI
jetta 2013

Couple of guys in phx
thanks!

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
If I have to speculate I would think like Tdijarhead, that this is HPFP related, more than hydrolock.

In older common rail cars, there has been reports of condensation in intercoolers that could lead to hydrolock, but during the winter months.

It could also be a dead lift pump.

wrander1

TDI
jetta 2013
Thanks for the info. the dealer said the last owner did not pay the $250 diagnostic fee so at this point I don't know why it will not start. I have it parked at my slow generic junk yard mechanic's lot. He may get around to checking it out in month. He has better scanner. I am wondering if i can find a cheap 2015 front clip TDI and just swap out everything on this 220,000 mile car. Are 2015 JETTA TDI and Passat TDI interchangeable with golf TDIs?

wrander1

TDI
jetta 2013
if it is the fuel rail, what are my options? can i have them instal a system from a wrecked TDI?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Well if you got a ~$24k car for $1k I'd say you are already ahead of the game. I'd still want to at least do a little digging to find out what exactly is wrong and why it happened. If nothing else, so it doesn't happen again.
Are our cars going up in value? My S trim has 45K on it and is in perfect shape and I was guessing it was worth around 10-12K tops.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I wouldn't hang my hopes on codes if it's something mechanical. Sure a mechanical failure will trigger a lot of codes that are symptoms but not the root cause. Not all mechanics have the knowledge and competence it takes to diagnose todays complex cars, many just keep swapping parts or pronounce "bad engine" when it gets complicated. Not saying your guy can't figure it out but if he's not a TDI guy he'll probably have some studying to do.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Are our cars going up in value? My S trim has 45K on it and is in perfect shape and I was guessing it was worth around 10-12K tops.
Wow maybe I just answered my own question. I just did a quick Google search and see TDIs with my mileage and trim level listed between 17 & 20K. I only paid 14.5K. I wonder if they are actually getting that much? And if it's because of the used car shortage or the fairly hard to find low mileage last year of production TDI?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
You did answer your own question

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I was merely stating that it was MSRP'd at whatever it was, and that is what the car "IS", not necessarily what it is worth now. This type of rationale is good for explaining to someone why the oil change on the "cheap" Audi they just bought costs $200: because they still bought an $85k car. The filter still costs $25. It still holds eight liters of expensive oil. It still takes an hour to dig the filter out from under the air cleaner and take all the shields off to access the TWO drain plugs.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
On car-part.com there were quite a number of engines/transmissions from cars vw had scrapped. Yards were to destroy most of car but allow them to keep the power train. These are from big yards in Virginia area.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
If it was a grenading HPFP, then also the fuel tank and lines are needed from the wreckers, or a good flush and therefore quite a bit of labor to do it.

wrander1

TDI
jetta 2013
Did you end up buying it?
Yes. I got it. It looks great. I towed it to my slow mechanic rebuld junk yard. His yard staff specializes in rebuilding (or striping) auction cars. He is looking at it. I have three TDI mechanic names as a backup if he gives up. I am on the hunt for a 2015 wrecked golf/jetta/A3 TDI to bring to him for a full transplant (including fuel system). I did find a cheap 2015 passat tdi wrecked near by yesterday ,but I don't think it is swapable because the fifth letter in the Vin is a "V" not an "A".
The junk yard is not pretty, but they do alot of non-tdi swaps.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/q3ju8KSbWamcFdPA9

wrander1

TDI
jetta 2013
toss parts at it!!!

mind as well get a new transmission while you're at it, that's probably the cause due to a failed DMF.
I think I should swap fuel system engine dsg turbo erg. I saw a 3k Donor car but it was the wrong passat body

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I am sure removing the glow plugs in your engine is much more difficult than on my ALH.
If I missed something, please forgive me. If the engine will turn over it is not likely hydro locked, so if it does turn over and not start, now the diagnosis is critical to do.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
After a certain amount of time what ever fluid caused the hydrolock would pass the rings and let you crank it over. At least that was the solution when my CJAA had its couple headaches with iced up intercoolers.

At this point sounds like the local friendly mechanic will test his troubleshooting skills. I foresee trying to rotating the engine crank shaft quick and easy thing to rule out numerous possible issues of the rotating assembly, then its down the rabbit hole of CRD specific issues.

wrander1

TDI
jetta 2013
My mechanic got the engine alive again. I was water diesel.The manually unfroze by rotating it manually. he purged the fuel inlines. replaced the filters, replaced the alternator. all i have air temp circuit P0562 power train low volt. the left cv and strut need to be replaced and it will be 100%

Last edited:

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
My mechanic got the engine alive again. I was water diesel.The manually unfroze by rotating it manually. he purged the fuel inlines. replaced the filters, replaced the alternator. all i have air temp circuit P0562 power train low volt. the left cv and strut need to be replaced and it will be 100%
Usually when an engine hydrolocks the forces are high enough to bend connecting rods, etc.... While the engine runs there is probably damage that will reveal itself later.

wrander1

TDI
jetta 2013
I
Usually when an engine hydrolocks the forces are high enough to bend connecting rods, etc.... While the engine runs there is probably damage that will reveal itself later.
Yes makes sense. I am on the hunt for a wrecked donor 2015 golf to cannibalize.