2015 TB Replacement Cost Estimate

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Hey guys, full disclosure I lack the mechanical abilities, time, and tools to do a TB job myself. And unfortunately, no independent shops in the trusted thread are near me and the ones that are listed are no longer operational.

So...I unfortunately have to rely on the dealer. Anywho, I received the below email for a TB job and would like any thoughts. I knew it was going to be expensive, just want to make sure it's not too far out of the realm of believability.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Actually that isn't too bad for the dealer in my opinion. But missing some parts. Check this from IDparts.

I would add the serpentine belt as well as all the one time use only stuff shown on that page. Lots of places skip that stuff with disastrous results later.

Last edited:

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Yep I would definitely make sure you document well who and what they replace. I think the map hasn't really been kept up to date well. I think it's worth driving (and have done many times over the last 20 years) at least a few hours to find a sound independent mechanic. Shoot i drove down to jimbote in central NC way back when to get my auto to 5 speed swap done. Might ask him if he would be interested or know someone closer to you.
-I just had mine done at a reputable shop for $1000
-MAKE SURE the use the updated (metal, not plastic) better water pump

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I would search high and low for a good independent shop that specializes in VW diesels that is within a two hour drive of where you live and use them before having a VW dealer do it. I went to an independent shop in Redmond WA for my timing belt and other work in my '05 and was very glad to do so. There is a trusted TDI mechanic thread on here somewhere, maybe in the general forum.

senez

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat DSG
Talked to a couple independents that service TDIs, but didn't have flexibility to get me in the time frame I needed. They recommended I check another dealer...did and they were about $500 cheaper. P/L had all the necessary parts, including the one-time bolts, so I'm going on faith and the word of guys I trust.

Not sure on the water pump...I checked, but I can't find specifics given the part number (04L121011N).

Did check the TDI thread as I mentioned above and the list there is out of date. And I didn't feel like driving 4 hours to Asheville to get something done.

So, we'll see. Will just motor on and not worry until I need to. Won't do me any good otherwise.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
What about the water pump?

Some people have experienced leakage of the variable speed original one. Vendors here offer a Geba branded pump that is not variable speed, and has a metal impeller. Previous generation engines with plastic impeller pumps (like the original one) were prone to breaking the impeller, or just spinning on the shaft.

Plus, the Geba pump is cheaper. That's what I installed in my 2015 GSW, pretty happy with it.

BRIAN427COBRA

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2015 Passat SEL
I fix 737s for a living, 1500 parts/labor is in the ballpark, not a hard job for me, but the tools cost 205 bucks(metalnerd.com) and parts would cost you 350ish(Idparts.com), the job is labor intensive.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
There is a good independent shop in Wilmington NC that is only a couple hours from Raleigh...

East Coast Eurowerks 910-859-7757

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Also Check out ShopDap they may not be known as diesel mechanics but they run a great knowledgeable VW shop (def more geared to GTI and R).

They also have a decent youtube page.